Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Zibanejad, Howden, and Chytil, and possibly Strome and Barron at center.

Panarin, Kreider, Lafreniere, Lemieux and possibly Barron at LW.

Kakko, Buchnevich, Gauthier and possibly Kreider at RW.

I don't know if the Rangers and Wallmark are an enticing fit for either side.

yeah at this point it seems like 2020-2021 is gonna be a prove it kinda year for the likes of Chytil howden Lemieux Hajek. I’m ok with that. We aren’t winning a cup. As long as most of our young players progress I’m good.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Zibanejad, Howden, and Chytil, and possibly Strome and Barron at center.

Panarin, Kreider, Lafreniere, Lemieux and possibly Barron at LW.

Kakko, Buchnevich, Gauthier and possibly Kreider at RW.

I don't know if the Rangers and Wallmark are an enticing fit for either side.
Ehhh Wallmark would have been nice and that’s a great price.

Are the Rangers really counting on Lafreniere in the Top Six already? That’s kind of interesting. Trying to make sense of the lineup and I am struggling a bit. Especially if Strome goes, but I guess that’s what training camp is for.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
yeah at this point it seems like 2020-2021 is gonna be a prove it kinda year for the likes of Chytil howden Lemieux Hajek. I’m ok with that. We aren’t winning a cup. As long as most of our young players progress I’m good.

I think that’s why the Rangers are particularly intrigued by Barron.

Aside from him being a good prospect, he’s someone who can get a look at center or wing - primarily in comparison to Howden and Hajek. That’s interesting from a roster building standpoint in that he can potentially push two different young players.

Reactions: LaffyTaffy

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Ehhh Wallmark would have been nice and that’s a great price.

Are the Rangers really counting on Lafreniere in the Top Six already? That’s kind of interesting. Trying to make sense of the lineup and I am struggling a bit. Especially if Strome goes, but I guess that’s what training camp is for.

But looking at that list, I’m not sure they like him enough to push any of those guys out at this point. Likewise, I don’t know if he sees a world of opportunity from the outside looking in. And that latter aspect is something we really have to consider as a factor into a players decision.

If you and your team were looking for an NHL destination right now, and you’re bottom six forward. Which destination would you think gives you the better chance to stick? Probably not the Rangers. Not unless you’re a guy looking to get back into a top six role.

As for Lafreniere - they definitely have him projected in the 9. Where exactly depends on how they use Kakko, Buch and Kreider.

Reactions: Savant

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I think that’s why the Rangers are particularly intrigued by Barron.

Aside from him being a good prospect, he’s someone who can get a look at center or wing - primarily in comparison to Howden and Hajek. That’s interesting from a roster building standpoint in that he can potentially push two different young players.

6’4” 220 and I’m assuming more mature than the other younger guys we have like Chytil/howden and hopefully shows when it comes to winning puck battles. Excited to see him play and hopefully Barron and Cuylle form a very formidable 4th line :thumbu: in 2-3 years

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
6’4” 220 and I’m assuming more mature than the other younger guys we have like Chytil/howden and hopefully shows when it comes to winning puck battles. Excited to see him play and hopefully Barron and Cuylle form a very formidable 4th line :thumbu: in 2-3 years

It’ll be interesting to see how offense translates and what position he ultimately settles in at.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes, very much a factor. And there is concern about breaking bubbles as a last resort.
Ok, that would make me feel better about the relative lack of action here.

You don't wanna commit 4 years to a guy and get 3.5.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

for most of the free agent options its not wanting to commit 1 year to get .75 years....I don't think there is anyone they would go 4 years on.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Not asking this to be wise: is it possible the Rangers don't think this season will be 82 games?

I think that is pretty much a given at this point.

Brian Burke, regardless of what you may think of him, is someone who is pretty plugged in.

He's been floating 60-65 games with a condensed, travel reduced schedule for a bit. I think that's probably what you see.

Reactions: Machinehead

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Truth be told, there’s some (I use that word conservatively) talk that the 2021-22 schedule may be impacted as well.

Now obviously no one knows for sure, but you could have a scenario where the 2020-21 goes “longer” to make up some ground, and maybe they take 10 or 12 games off the following year.

If we’re looking at everyone’s favorite FA signing, Jack Johnson, it’s quite possible he’s a Ranger for a grand total of 30 games.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I read that there has been talk of bubble cities with teams playing 2 weeks of condensed games and then being allowed to go home for a week for quarantine with family before returning to a bubble. Then BKer said he's heard the league and players silently have an agreement to not start games until fans of some amount can attend games again. Who the hell knows what's going to happen at this point.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I read that there has been talk of bubble cities with teams playing 2 weeks of condensed games and then being allowed to go home for a week for quarantine with family before returning to a bubble. Then BKer said he's heard the league and players silently have an agreement to not start games until fans of some amount can attend games again. Who the hell knows what's going to happen at this point.

This is another point Burke has mentioned.

Given the current increasing rates of infection, I'm very skeptical that you'll have clearance from all local/federal parties to allow fans into indoor arenas by Jan 1, even if it's something like 20% to start.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
But that takes it back to Vegas being really the only team that seems in the mix. If the deal for Schmidt is in place, what’s the snag? Still not enough cap due to whatever is coming back? Pietrangelo won’t commit? If they won’t trade Schmidt til AP signs, but AP can’t sign until they trade Schmidt then we’re going to be sitting here while they gawk at each other for a long time.
Don’t sleep on Florida

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
One thing I like about both Barron and Cuylle aside from their size... Both of them can really wire the puck. That could make for an especially dangerous bottom part of the lineup.

One thing that was described to me about certain prospects (Cuylle, Barron, Lindgren, Schneider) is that the Rangers thought all of them had the potential to play above their individual skill levels. In other words, all of them could be players who are talented enough to line up next to certain "higher-end" players. In a sense, not all that different than what Tampa has done over the years.

So let's say someone like Schneider more popularly projects as a second pairing defenseman, he could be a guy that plays on a first pair because he's skilled and talented enough to potentially click with a skilled LD.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I get the whole “big picture” talk, but you have a lot of young guys on ELCs, and those ELCs expire and you have to start paying significant money to these guys. If you kick the can too far down the road, you no longer can afford your young guys. I’m not pleased with the idea that the Rangers are not taking this year too seriously, looking more towards 21-22. It’s frustrating. I know the window is just opening and there’s dead cap et al. but I feel like they’ve been super complacent and don’t care about next year. I feel like we’re past the point of rebuild. It’s already a concern we won’t be able to afford all of our young guys so why not start pushing a little? That doesn’t even take into account a guy like Mika who has 2 years left and will be due for a huge raise once we decide to really compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad