Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Interesting to see what JD said about the JJ signing in Vince's writeup of the presser today:

Davidson pointing to the short length of the contract brought the focus back to the prevailing theme of keeping roster spots open for the Rangers' deep pool of prospects.

"The biggest thing is, let’s think about the future here," he said. "When we think about Matthew Robertson, Braden Schneider, Zac Jones — they’re all 19 years of age. All defensemen. Nils Lundkvist and K’Andre Miller, they’re 20 years of age. So, our future, in realistic terms, is ahead of us. We have to continue to keep that as a goal."

5 takeaways from NY Rangers on Alexis Lafrenière and NHL free agency

Interesting that he mentions Jones with the others. (But not Reunanen or Hajek.)

Reactions: eco's bones and Tob

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Chicago with an interesting summer so far. Not bringing back Crawford, adding Janmark and Walmark on cheap short term deals and picking up Zadorov.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
In fairness, we all do that to some extent. I think he was mainly pointing to guys who haven't even yet played a pro game and probably just forgot Reunanen.
Damn it, @Edge, I'm trying to stir controversy here.

In all seriousness, I do think it's also because those are the guys they're focused on longer term – which has no bearing on whether Reunanen has a future in the lineup this year, or in the league for years to come. (Hajek, however, I'm thinking gets a new start elsewhere sooner rather than later.)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Damn it, @Edge, I'm trying to stir controversy here.

In all seriousness, I do think it's also because those are the guys they're focused on longer term – which has no bearing on whether Reunanen has a future in the lineup this year, or in the league for years to come. (Hajek, however, I'm thinking gets a new start elsewhere sooner rather than later.)

Guys like Hajek, Howden, Lemieux are heading into big years. Whether it's expanded roles with the Rangers, reduced roles, larger contracts down the line, being exposed for expansion purposes, or being packaged to solve a need, all of them are quickly approaching a crossroads with the Rangers.

Last edited:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
wallmark for under a million Peeps really hurting for cash and in the Rangers case they love Howden

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
wallmark for under a million Peeps really hurting for cash and in the Rangers case they love Howden

Zibanejad, Howden, and Chytil, and possibly Strome and Barron at center.

Panarin, Kreider, Lafreniere, Lemieux and possibly Barron at LW.

Kakko, Buchnevich, Gauthier and possibly Kreider at RW.

I don't know if the Rangers and Wallmark are an enticing fit for either side.

Reactions: Minmonster

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Interesting quote from Gorton below RE: the number of D in the system:

"The other thing to consider is that… eventually, if you have too much of something in one area, that creates a situation where maybe you’re able to trade and go address those needs," Gorton added. "That’s how we think."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad