Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Off-season Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Scheifele is my #1 target. Challenges Zibanejad and is an incredible playoff performer

How'd he do in the playoffs when he got himself suspended for four games and destroyed his teams chances in the next round?

He's also not an incredible playoff performer. He just had one run where he shot 31%.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Its unpopular but I'll continue to stump for JT Miller. Take a real run at the Cup next year and maintain flexibility to see what Chytil/KAM/Laf contracts are going to look like next summer. K'Andre/Laf/Schneider/Chytil should be off limits but count me as a guy who is ready to deal some youth for a big swing. These are prime years for Mika/Kreider and Igor is not going to be this cheap forever.
You trade for miller and you lose all flexibility going forward. You’re not acquiring miller for peanuts, as you’re gonna lose at least 1-2 elc players and a pick.
You also then make it so we can’t actually see if Chytil can make the jump to 2C. So you’ve blocked him again.

Reactions: surlysailor

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I wouldnt trade Schneider at this point for any realistically available player, but Kakko or Chytil (id hold FC because we have literally nothing at C behind him) could be available in the right trade. I know people have an emotional connection to Kakko but if the Rangers arent bringing back Strome/Copp, and the team plans on being a Cup Contender next year (rightfully so) he's a trade chip. Lundkvist too, he will never have a spot on the right side here. Kravtsov & Othmann could also be available. Teams may also value Cuylle or Berard fairly highly based on their development.

I'm certainly not saying to trade all these guys, but they dont all have a future here, and something has to give eventually.
Miller is a rental. Miller walks next summer. Are the Rangers trading more young assets for another center? The world isn't ending after 22-23. Can we trade these players for someone who will be here for more just 12 months?

The Rangers traded a 1st, 2nd, 5th and Barron to rent Copp and a 6th.

The Rangers have no picks in 2023. Winnipeg can take the Rangers 2nd next season.

Colorado trades draft picks for players. Outside of Kuemper, they kept the players they acquired for picks. Toews. Burakovsky.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
You trade for miller and you lose all flexibility going forward. You’re not acquiring miller for peanuts, as you’re gonna lose at least 1-2 elc players and a pick.
You also then make it so we can’t actually see if Chytil can make the jump to 2C. So you’ve blocked him again.

How? You wouldnt be tied into any long term contract and you'd be saving money on the future contract for someone like Kakko, who may or may not even be good.

As for Chytil, I like him, but more as a middle 6 tweener like Lars Eller, as he has been compared to before. If Chytil is your 2C next year with no safety net, youre not winning a Cup.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Might was well trade Chytil if you are acquiring Miller.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Revenue looking very good for this year and projecting better for next year with increase in ad space sales, market growth and T.V. deals. Maybe the Cap doesn't jump before 2024, but with this information teams could see an increase next offseason to help curb what could be a detrimental spike in the 2024 offseason. Going up too much too quickly, like what could happen, has the potential to leave a number of teams scrambling below the Cap floor. Should be an interesting next few years.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Miller is a rental. Miller walks next summer. Are the Rangers trading more young assets for another center? The world isn't ending after 22-23. Can we trade these players for someone who will be here for more just 12 months?

The Rangers have no picks in 2023. Winnipeg can take the Rangers 2nd next season.

Colorado trades draft picks for players. Outside of Kuemper, they kept the players they acquired for picks. Toews. Burakovsky.

Theres no perfect player out there. No one wants JT Miller. No one wants Dylan Larkin. No one wants Scheifele or Dubois. The Rangers dont have picks to trade, but they have young players. It needs to happen at some point. The Rangers need to win while Igor is on this contract because in 3 years hes making 10mil+ or walking. It is what it is.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Theres no perfect player out there. No one wants JT Miller. No one wants Dylan Larkin. No one wants Scheifele or Dubois. The Rangers dont have picks to trade, but they have young players. It needs to happen at some point. The Rangers need to win while Igor is on this contract because in 3 years hes making 10mil+ or walking. It is what it is.
Who doesn't want Dylan Larkin?

• Haha
Reactions: Riche16 and RGY

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I wouldnt trade Schneider at this point for any realistically available player, but Kakko or Chytil (id hold FC because we have literally nothing at C behind him) could be available in the right trade. I know people have an emotional connection to Kakko but if the Rangers arent bringing back Strome/Copp, and the team plans on being a Cup Contender next year (rightfully so) he's a trade chip. Lundkvist too, he will never have a spot on the right side here. Kravtsov & Othmann could also be available. Teams may also value Cuylle or Berard fairly highly based on their development.

I'm certainly not saying to trade all these guys, but they dont all have a future here, and something has to give eventually.
Cuylle, Berard, Othmann would be throw ins in a trade like this for an established PPG 1C. Apparently Vancouver turned down Chytil+Lundkvist+ a 1st at the TDL. The price hasn't gone down with so many teams focusing on JT with laser vision. Vancouver are retooling, not rebuilding, they want established players in their early 20s in return. So the price will be heavy both in talent, cap consequences and roster fallout.

Aho and PLD are UFA's in 2024... Maybe simply follow the Colorado/Tampa template & keep growing the kids until then, if things haven't worked out sign Aho as 1C, let Zib slid down to 2C and retool the roster as necessary to balance it all out between vets, the grown kids and incoming kids (Cuylle, Berard, Othmann).

Maybe, if given the chance, Chytil keeps developing playing with talent (not Gauth) on his wings next season, and solves the 2C problem internally. That's the thing with kids, they grow into better players with proper nurturing, just like JT Miller did.

Reactions: RagFinMet

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
How the Rangers go about filling the 2nd line center spot is going to be fascinating. I think you can make a solid case for going in any number of directions. Whether it's signing copp, trading for an upgrade like Miller, or even signing a stopgap like Stastny and making a trade to bolster the wing.

I'm not sure which direction I would go right now.

Reactions: McRanger92

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
t5ey0Vk.jpg

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Who doesn't want Dylan Larkin?

He's a good player but not my first choice. I was more making the point that every player who could potentially be available to fill the 2C spot has warts. The cost controlled young center who plays every situation and can be acquired by our scraps isnt realistic.

That was meatball for you

How the Rangers go about filling the 2nd line center spot is going to be fascinating. I think you can make a solid case for going in any number of directions. Whether it's signing copp, trading for an upgrade like Miller, or even signing a stopgap like Stastny and making a trade to bolster the wing.

I'm not sure which direction I would go right now.

Totally agree and I don't think there's necessarily a wrong option. Except signing Strome, which would be disastrous

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
He's a good player but not my first choice. I was more making the point that every player who could potentially be available to fill the 2C spot has warts. The cost controlled young center who plays every situation and can be acquired by our scraps isnt realistic.

That was meatball for you
He was potentially in play last summer, when no one really knew what was going on in Detroit.

After this season, I'd put the odds much more on him signing an extension this summer and staying. Detroit is on the right path.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Bold not completely accurate.

The Rangers have their own 1st in 23, and if the Jets take the Blues 2nd this year, the Rangers keep their 2nd next so it would appear they would not have a 3rd / 4th and 5th in 23

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
For the right price
Remember, he's 35. Whatever you give him his fully guaranteed. No way out.

Years back his dad gave some interview where he said that the only teams his son would want to play for other than Pitt are NYR and MTL. Is that still the case?

Either way, unless he is somehow willing to take WAY less to sign here, its not worth talking about. They can't afford him.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Remember, he's 35. Whatever you give him his fully guaranteed. No way out.

Years back his dad gave some interview where he said that the only teams his son would want to play for other than Pitt are NYR and MTL. Is that still the case?

Either way, unless he is somehow willing to take WAY less to sign here, its not worth talking about. They can't afford him.
Someone posted, might have been RB a few days ago that if he left Pitt he wants to play in Florida. I don't think that has any chance of happening. As far as him signing with the Rangers, yeah unless it's a 1 year deal there's no chance and even for 1 year I don't know how they make it work.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Someone posted, might have been RB a few days ago that if he left Pitt he wants to play in Florida. I don't think that has any chance of happening. As far as him signing with the Rangers, yeah unless it's a 1 year deal there's no chance and even for 1 year I don't know how they make it work.
Yeah that makes a ton of sense too.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
How'd he do in the playoffs when he got himself suspended for four games and destroyed his teams chances in the next round?

He's also not an incredible playoff performer. He just had one run where he shot 31%.
Shooting 31% in the playoffs really isn’t that crazy. 31% over a full season is. And so what if he got suspended for four games? Look at Kadri before this season, suspended back to back years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad