Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Off-season Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Every summer I'm reminded how much I hate the salary cap in this league.

Fans of normal sports: "Which one of these free agents should we sign for our team to take the next step?"

This thread: "As you can see here on CapFriendly, I've devised a plan for the team to save $300,000 while only taking massive downgrades at four positions!"

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Yeah but I also think we need "traditional" centers who can defend, match up, and win faceoffs.

I'm better defensively than Mark Scheifele.

So he just woke up one day a different player?

Yeah I mean with Scheifele you'd hope a change of scenery might get him back to the more defensively responsible player he was before Winnipeg went sideways the last few years. It's tough for Drury because any center addition we make really needs to be short term, and there arent many impact centers available who can produce offense and defend well. If they choose to go with more scoring in the top 6, they would need to find a Dominic Moore type who can cover the defensive role in the bottom 6 with Goodrow.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Panarin is forcing it because they don't generate anything. It was basically a 4th line at even strength this year.

Both guys are too talented for that to happen.
I am sure you're 100% right in that Panarin was trying to force the play to teammates that weren't quite operating at his level. That being said, he's a veteran, he needs to play smart hockey in the playoffs. It's inexcusable. Fixing his line will help, but at the end of the day he needs to play a team game, regardless of who is out there with him.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I am sure you're 100% right in that Panarin was trying to force the play to teammates that weren't quite operating at his level. That being said, he's a veteran, he needs to play smart hockey in the playoffs. It's inexcusable. Fixing his line will help, but at the end of the day he needs to play a team game, regardless of who is out there with him.
He will if he's not on one of the least effective lines in the league. Getting more out of Panarin has to be the top priority. It's not like they can actually make moves.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Yeah but I also think we need "traditional" centers who can defend, match up, and win faceoffs.

I'm better defensively than Mark Scheifele.

No, he didn't just wake up a different player but like I said I know for fact that he had a significant injury at the end of last year that is at play. This is not speculation.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I don’t see how Scheifele works cap wise. They can barely afford to pay Copp and he’s going to make less than Schiefele

Unless you’re overpaying to retain which no thanks

Would be a total Ranger move to go give up big assets for a more expensive slightly better Ryan Strome
You're out to lunch if you really think Schiefele is comparable to Strome. I know he's been trending in the wrong direction & he had a bad year, but that's an extremely hot take.

Reactions: nyaz11

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Scheifele can score at even strength. I would say thats a significant need for this team.
He's also proven he can be a playoff monster. People have very short memories. They should watch highlights from the 2018 playoffs.

Yes, the day after Wilson slammed him into the ice.

Reactions: LokiDog

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
No, he didn't just wake up a different player but like I said I know for fact that he had a significant injury at the end of last year that is at play. This is not speculation.

Unless this is confirmed somewhere, it is speculation. He played 95 out of a possible 102 games this year, including all 20 in the playoffs. Cant use injury as an excuse if you aren't missing games imo. Everyone is playing hurt.

Panarin was not at his best in the playoffs, he himself said that, and I personally was disappointed in the continued overpassing that stems from him and his linemates, but I think the guy deserves a little more credit around these parts. He's done nothing but live up to his contract the first 3 years and its unfair to write him off after a rough playoff. He will have a chance to redeem himself next year. I remember a time when Kucherov had similar knocks against him,

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Scheifele stays in Winnipeg There is too much uncertainty with Dubois's future with the Jets. Winnipeg will want a quality return for him. Is Drury moving Schneider? No.

The Jets should be rebuilding. They are an also-ran in the West and no coach worth anything wants to go there. Couple that with the tension in the locker room (Wheeler wanting out, Maurice quitting out of nowhere) and their ownership should be sending a letter to season ticket holders like we did.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Unless this is confirmed somewhere, it is speculation. He played 95 out of a possible 102 games this year, including all 20 in the playoffs. Cant use injury as an excuse if you aren't missing games imo. Everyone is playing hurt.

Panarin was not at his best in the playoffs, he himself said that, and I personally was disappointed in the continued overpassing that stems from him and his linemates, but I think the guy deserves a little more credit around these parts. He's done nothing but live up to his contract the first 3 years and its unfair to write him off after a rough playoff. He will have a chance to redeem himself next year. I remember a time when Kucherov had similar knocks against him,

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Panarin was seriously hurt in that Wilson incident. Who knows how much time he would've missed had the season not ended 3 games later. I have no problem believing @bleedblue94 on this one, personally.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Panarin was seriously hurt in that Wilson incident. Who knows how much time he would've missed had the season not ended 3 games later. I have no problem believing @bleedblue94 on this one, personally.

I don't think you're 100% wrong and I don't want to make it seem like I'm questioning @bleedblue94 's credibility, I just personally cant use the injury as an excuse for him if its not something thats been reported. As much as I would like to.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Then he'll get better. And don't pay Strome anyway.
I dont want strome and there is a long line of history of player that got hurt and got physically better but never returned to the same player bc mentally the injury changed their game/style/willingness to go to hard areas.

This is not speculation. I've been vetted. And you are getting hung up on it being a physical thing today. All playoffs everyone defended his play because "he has to be injuried" while I kept saying it was related to last year and then the injury reports come out and he was relatively okay.

Overpassing from the perimeter is directly related to a reluctance to go to certain areas of the ice.

Sometimes players have an injury that affects their game after they are physically healthy...

• Love
Reactions: Riche16 and LokiDog

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I dont want strome and there is a long line of history of player that got hurt and got physically better but never returned to the same player bc mentally the injury changed their game/style/willingness to go to hard areas.

This is not speculation. I've been vetted. And you are getting hung up on it being a physical thing today. All playoffs everyone defended his play because "he has to be injuried" while I kept saying it was related to last year and then the injury reports come out and he was relatively okay.

Overpassing from the perimeter is directly related to a reluctance to go to certain areas of the ice.

Sometimes players have an injury that affects their game after they are physically healthy...

Fair enough. I will say that if he's going to be more of a perimeter player going forward, he needs to at least shoot the puck. At his best in 2019 he was shooting from everywhere.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Fair enough. I will say that if he's going to be more of a perimeter player going forward, he needs to at least shoot the puck. At his best in 2019 he was shooting from everywhere.
that's what rick nash turned into after concussions, it didn't work out too well with those soft shots from the outside. for panarin, he wont open up lanes for his passes unless he is willing to attack the house again and cause defenses to shift and move.

IF, IF, IF the opportunity presented itself to move panarin I would do that in a microsecond just to free the cap space right now, and it sucks to say that but there are numerous factors going into that statement.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007

If this is really correct, I see LTIR in his future if he has another disappointing year.

Reactions: CLW

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
that's what rick nash turned into after concussions, it didn't work out too well with those soft shots from the outside.

IF, IF, IF the opportunity presented itself to move panarin I would do that in a microsecond just to free the cap space right now, and it sucks to say that but there are numerous factors going into that statement.

Unfortunately you're right about Nash. At least he was a force defensively after the injuries.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
If this is really correct, I see LTIR in his future if he has another disappointing year.
it wont be, the issue is how do you ltir a player that just had a statistically impressive season? he was effective from a statistical standpoint. the issue here is the team and fanbase is set on playoff success at this point and despite his numbers he was horrible for this team at 5v5 when they needed the second dominant player as teams focused on zib. for other middling organizations panarin could easily play out this contract as a perimeter player that can accumulate points, especially on the pp. here this org is looking at team results more so than individual numbers at this point.

Unfortunately you're right about Nash. At least he was a force defensively after the injuries.
something that panarin will never be, and especially with a 11.6m aav vs 7.8m aav.

this is a hard situation. odds are he will be here next year, we will know within the first ten games if he is suddenly willing to attack the house again or if we will see the same panarin.

Last edited:

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
it wont be, the issue is how do you ltir a player that just had a statistically impressive season? he was effective from a statistical standpoint. the issue here is the team and fanbase is set on playoff success at this point and despite his numbers he was horrible for this team at 5v5 when they needed the second dominant player as teams focused on zib. for other middling organizations panarin could easily play out this contract as a perimeter player that can accumulate points, especially on the pp. here this org is looking at team results more so than individual numbers at this point.
If a player can develop an equipment allergy overnight during an offseason, certainly a player can have lingering issues from a concussion that affects their play even years later.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
that's what rick nash turned into after concussions, it didn't work out too well with those soft shots from the outside.

I agree 100%, but his contract is as close to untradeable as it gets....even if he were to waive.

Reactions: LokiDog and Sayba
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad