Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Why do we assume that Lafreniere is the eventual captain, rather than Fox, Kakko, Miller, Lundkvist, or any other number of younger players here?

I will say that internally at least, there is belief/hope/expectation that Lafreniere will likely be the captain of this team sooner rather than later.

A lot of it is his personality, his thriving on being the man, his experience and embracing of the spotlight, his approach thus far, etc.

And a lot of is the realization that he will be the face of the franchise for a decade or more. Nothing against Kakko, Miller, Fox, etc., but they're probably not going to be "that guy" for the Rangers.

Obviously, none of this matters if Lafreniere flames out. But, if you're looking at it from a strategic standpoint, Lafreniere is unlike any prospect we've had in the modern era. It really is a very diffent circumstance, with a very different expectations than what this fanbase and this team has experienced before.

Last edited:

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
i can see the rangers holding off to name a captain for a few years to then name laff the captain....most likely he is with the team for 10 plus years

kreider to me is not a captain

laff
fox

would be my guess in a few years

Reactions: NYSPORTS

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Dave Maloney very tellingly one night between periods let out that Kreider is NOT the type of guy that should the captain. Very quirky not at all who they’d look to for that role.

and I believe he’s 100% spot on

Mika should be captain. It should have happened last year and it’s ridiculous that it still hasn’t happened

imo, if Kreider was the Captain type he would have already been named years ago. Until or unless Mika is signed long term i cannot see him wearing the C for only a short term.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
imo, if Kreider was the Captain type he would have already been named years ago. Until or unless Mika is signed long term i cannot see him wearing the C for only a short term.

Re: Zibanejad vs. Kreider for the captaincy, most within the organization would probably say Zibanejad feels like the more natural fit for the role if we're looking at just those two in a vacuum.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Re: Zibanejad vs. Kreider for the captaincy, most within the organization would probably say Zibanejad feels like the more natural fit for the role if we're looking at just those two in a vacuum.
I think that Kreider is the natural fit for the "C" at this point. Then again, if the FO felt that way, he would probably have been given it already.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I will say that internally at least, there is belief/hope/expectation that Lafreniere will likely be the captain of this team sooner rather than later.

A lot of it is his personality, his thriving on being the man, his experience and embracing of the spotlight, his approach thus far, etc.

And a lot of is the realization that he will be the face of the franchise for a decade or more. Nothing against Kakko, Miller, Fox, etc., but they're probably not going to be "that guy" for the Rangers.

Obviously, none of this matters if Lafreniere flames out. But, if you're looking at it from a strategic standpoint, Lafreniere is unlike any prospect we've had in the modern era. It really is a very diffent circumstance, with a very different expectations than what this fanbase and this team has experienced before.

The bolded I'm good with. But I've never considered the 'face of the franchise' to be a sufficient qualification for captaincy. Putting Leetch in charge wasn't a good plan, and theres a reason why our current face in Panarin isn't being talked about as a captin.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think right now, despite Larry's article (which has a lot of valid points sprinkled throughout), the Rangers are very much keeping that option/possibility open before they commit to another direction.

And again, Larry kind of mentioned it, but it bears repeating, this organization is not totally married to Zibanejad moving forward. Whether one likes or agrees with that aspect, it is going to be a factor when we talk about things like the captaincy or even the trades the Rangers consider over the next year or two.

The lack of guaranteed long-term commitment to Zibanejad is where my mind was leaning as well. Do the Rangers want to give Zib the C only to open contract negotiations with him a few months later? Plus, not to open up old wounds but I imagine the Rangers will continue to keep tabs on things with Eichel and if that comes to fruition a commitment to Zib probably isn't in the cards for the org long-term. Plus there's something to be said for a player like Lafreniere earning that C. It will carry a lot of meaning for fans and the organization alike. Paints a heck of a story for marketing as well, not that the org needs effective marketing to generate revenue or anything but still.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Why do we assume that Lafreniere is the eventual captain, rather than Fox, Kakko, Miller, Lundkvist, or any other number of younger players here?

I think Edge summed it up well in his post. The talent, pedigree, hype, franchise significance, and the fact that he's been lauded as a leader for most of his hockey career thus far are all things that point to him as the likely captain at some point. Nothing against the guys you listed but none of them are on the tier of Lafreniere in terms of franchise impact and none of them come with the reputation of being a leader. What Alexis could realistically become for this franchise is something the Rangers haven't had since Messier. No disrespect to Hank but star forwards are just on a different level.

Reactions: Ghost of jas

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Rangers official site roster has added a bunch more players, but not all the players under contract:
New York Rangers 2019 Roster

I wonder if that's the camp roster. Only thing I noticed is Tarmo isn't on there.

Reunanen was recalled from loan, wasn't he? I'm sure he'll be there. Assuming that's the list (so far), we have room for 3 more skaters.

Wall isn't on the list either. We can bring as many goalies as we want, but maybe they don't want more than 4? Having 5 or 6 goalies in a shortened camp might be difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad