Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXIII - As the bell tolls, who will stay who will go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Imo if the rangers go with a one year veteran center like Koivu while letting Chytil and Howden get the big mins it will be very telling about how serious they are on Eichel. Saving room for whenever they made need to be ready. Just my opinion but the smoke is certainly there

I short term option, even if that's strome on a 1 year deal, tells me that they are committed to building the team correctly for the long term and aren't going to lock themselves into the wrong guy for several years because no one better is available now. to say that the ultimate target is eichel is jumping to conclusions though.

Reactions: Kovalev27

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I'd be all in on eichel if he were available...with the exception. Of laf or kakko

To me both are worth more than eichel. Cost controlled star caliber players are worth more than 10m star players.

Kakko had a bad first season. But all the foundations are build for a breakout year coming up.

there lies the problem...the asking from buffalo is going to start with those 2.

Reactions: romba

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
can you be more dramatic Lol? It’s hardly a throw away year JD literally just said we aren’t even close. Lot of development this year and then when ready you add the guy you actually want.
No, I am not being dramatic. While I am a big fan of Gorton and JD, I consider doing something that stupid to be an offense worthy of firing. Signing a guy like Koivu, who is as done as done can be, to save room and wait for Jack Eichel, is moronic.

Eichel is good but as Adam Herman has confirmed, he won't be cheap. To wait for him to publicly demand a trade so his price is brought down to something palatable is a bad idea. Let someone else drastically overpay for him so this fantasy can end.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The Rangers aren't going to throw away a year waiting for Eichel. That is insane. As a GM, there is too much out of your control and you could end up with nothing. If Gorton did this I would hope he is fired immediately, JD as well if he condoned it.

I would think that Gorton is putting the same guys on the table for Eichel that he is with other teams. So he's probably telling Adams, "These guys are available but I have other things lined up for them too. They won't be here by the end of the week so you can do the deal now or try your luck in 9 months."

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I short term option, even if that's strome on a 1 year deal, tells me that they are committed to building the team correctly for the long term and aren't going to lock themselves into the wrong guy for several years because no one better is available now. to say that the ultimate target is eichel is jumping to conclusions though.

me jumping to conclusions? Never

Reactions: Leetch3

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I would think that Gorton is putting the same guys on the table for Eichel that he is with other teams. So he's probably telling Adams, "These guys are available but I have other things lined up for them too. They won't be here by the end of the week so you can do the deal now or try your luck in 9 months."
Which seems like the most JG thing to do lol.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
.... Continuing our little online seminar.

The Rangers big offseason deal is not going to be with Tampa. Not who the NYR are targeting. Likely done today. Maybe accompanied with a smaller deal or two at the draft.”

Today - as in Monday. Could not get more outta my NYR Guy. It’s Tight Lipped in Commissioner Jeff Gordon’s organization - as always. Good on him, kudos. I personally think I know who it might be. We Will see... Interesting 36 hours ahead. For sure
Working today was going to be nice. Oh well. Thanks for that.

Kaapo Bustfreniere

Jun 21, 2019
Have we traded for McDavid yet? If not, why not? Get moving, what are you being paid for, Gorton & co? I am supposed to be studying for my med school exam and I really don't want to. So please, give me reason not to.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think you see more moves between now and the draft than at the actual draft. Sounds like come draft time it’s going to be complicated virtually to make things happen and teams want to be dialed in and ready to go with what they’ve got.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Watch Gorts is working on one of those NBA esq multi-team trades to try to pull a star out of a situation. His MO is entirely identifying what he wants and then finding a way to get it. it's probably wishful thinking but if he pulled off something absolutely ridiculous and wouldn't surprise me.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Do we know if the deadline for QOs is Tuesday or Wednesday?

EDIT: Apparently things changed with little notice. It's Wednesday (7th)
It's tomorrow, per the MOU
jnCfHix.png

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
No, I am not being dramatic. While I am a big fan of Gorton and JD, I consider doing something that stupid to be an offense worthy of firing. Signing a guy like Koivu, who is as done as done can be, to save room and wait for Jack Eichel, is moronic.

Eichel is good but as Adam Herman has confirmed, he won't be cheap. To wait for him to publicly demand a trade so his price is brought down to something palatable is a bad idea. Let someone else drastically overpay for him so this fantasy can end.

IMO committing 4 years to the wrong guy cause he is available now and you are operating in win now mode like next season is the most important thing would be stupid too

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
There’s nothing better than our beats being proudly wrong

It’s like a requirement to write about this team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad