Roster Building Thread IV (2022-23): Luck of the Irish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
- the 94 trade deadline, including how many cups we would have won without the trades
- Mess as coach
- Avery
- Kravtsov
- comparisons between Hughes and Kakko
- mor tuffness!!!!
- Dolan's musical ability or lack thereof
- bad pizza
As long as we can continue to talk about good pizza & beer, I'm all for it!

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Gourde is always injured and Coleman is more of “scoring depth.” Goodrow is a Swiss-army knife. He’s a very important player. A different player than Gourde and Coleman. I could’ve understood trying to get Gourde but he was under contract and Goodrow was not.

Not worth $3.6M, but when they got him I understood the reasoning. If they move on, it’s because they’re in a different spot in their progression and just need what he brings for below market value.

The amount of points Goodrow gets doesn’t matter. It’s not why he’s here.
Stop. He was also the worst. It was an indefensible move. They got Goodrow because he was the cheapest and the easiest to get. Gourde was on the expansion draft list for Christ sake. They traded for Goodrows rights, they could have traded for Coleman’s. Say what you want about him but Coleman would have been an exponentially better fit on this team than Goodrow

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Stop. He was also the worst. It was an indefensible move. They got Goodrow because he was the cheapest and the easiest to get. Gourde was on the expansion draft list for Christ sake. They traded for Goodrows rights, they could have traded for Coleman’s. Say what you want about him but Coleman would have been an exponentially better fit on this team than Goodrow
We got screwed on the goodrow contract, when it came out after we traded for his rights that teams “would be offering 2.5m for 5 years” or some bullshit like that.
It was tampering and it was done to screw with us and the nhl didn’t care.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Blake Coleman, he of a $4.9m contract per season on pace for 38 points?

There needs to be some sort of nuanced take here on Goodrow.

He's a useful depth player who can move all over the lineup. He plays wing mainly but can easily slide over to center. He's a very good PKer.

His contract of $3.65m is hefty for where this team is right now.

If Drury has a path to trading him this off-season, which in my opinion is completely within reason that he will, this was not a bad signing. Even if he is given away for free, which I doubt will be needed, it's a good signing.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I have posted something like this before but here goes:

Cap goes up $2m to $84,500,000

Signings:

Chytil - 5 years @ $4.75m
Miller - 5 years @ $4.5m
Kane - 4 years @ $4.5m
Mikkola - 2 years @ $1.25m
Lafreniere - 2 years @ $2.3m
Bottom-6 forward - 1 year @ $900k

Goodrow traded to San Jose for 4th '23 + 5th '23 + 7th '23

Kreider-Zibanejad-Kane
Panarin-Trochek-Vesey
Lafreniere-Chytil-Kaako
Cuylle-Brodzinski-Vet UFA

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Mikkola-Schneider
Harpur

Shesty
Domingue

$0.887m in cap space

If they decide to bridge Miller or Chytil, perhaps those cap hits drop slightly which creates more room

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
We got screwed on the goodrow contract, when it came out after we traded for his rights that teams “would be offering 2.5m for 5 years” or some bullshit like that.
It was tampering and it was done to screw with us and the nhl didn’t care.
We did not get screwed on the Goodrow contract. No one made them give that contract out. It was shitty player eval

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
We did not get screwed on the Goodrow contract. No one made them give that contract out. It was shitty player eval
We traded a pick to acquire his rights, then it was reported that teams would offer bigger money to him,
I think the initial rumor was we offered him like 2.3 x 5? We weren’t forced to make it happen, but we’d given up a pick to get him, so what’s that worth if he walks for nothing?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Dallas and Detroit for Goodrow. DeBoer coached Goodrow in San Jose. The Stars have all of their key players signed for next season. Goodrow would be a good fit for Dallas. Lalonde coached Goodrow in TB. The Wings will have the cap space. Next season is a big year for Yzerman. Next season is his 5th year as Wings GM.

15 team no trade list.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
We traded a pick to acquire his rights, then it was reported that teams would offer bigger money to him,
I think the initial rumor was we offered him like 2.3 x 5? We weren’t forced to make it happen, but we’d given up a pick to get him, so what’s that worth if he walks for nothing?
Yeah they went out of their way to acquire that. Giving a bad contract to overcompensate on trading a (non-prime) pick is doubling down and making two bad mistakes

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Dallas and Detroit for Goodrow. DeBoer coached Goodrow in San Jose. The Stars have all of their key players signed for next season. Goodrow would be a good fit for Dallas. Lalonde coached Goodrow in TB. The Wings will have the cap space. Next season is a big year for Yzerman. Next season is his 5th year as Wings GM.

15 team no trade list.

Yzerman also knows Goodrow from his TB days

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007

15 team no trade list.
Playoff tweeners will be lining up for him. I'd add Buffalo, Ottawa, and Jets to that list as teams that will have cap space that will look to add a player like him. Depends on who's on his no trade list.

The Rangers will recoup their lost picks this draft used at the deadline by dealing Goodrow.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Yeah they went out of their way to acquire that. Giving a bad contract to overcompensate on trading a (non-prime) pick is doubling down and making two bad mistakes
It’s not a terrible contract, he’s overpaid sure, but it’s not making 8 million.
He’s about a million overpaid.

He’s also a useful vet in a locker room that last year was very young with little to no playoff experience.

Hes shown to be a “glue guy” and those are always valuable. I wouldn’t be surprised if we moved him for a 3rd or a 4th with no retention.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I feel like the Lindgren and Fox pairing is staring to be underrated. Not sure if it’s the ASG curse but Fox has not been very Foxy as of late. That first Montreal goal was a brutal turnover by him and not very Foxy.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It’s not a terrible contract, he’s overpaid sure, but it’s not making 8 million.
He’s about a million overpaid.

He’s also a useful vet in a locker room that last year was very young with little to no playoff experience.

Hes shown to be a “glue guy” and those are always valuable. I wouldn’t be surprised if we moved him for a 3rd or a 4th with no retention.
It is a terrible contract. Let’s not pretend it isnt

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
It is a terrible contract. Let’s not pretend it isnt
No it’s a bad contract. A terrible contract is risto at 5.1m for 5 years.
When a player is a 1.5-2m player, and is getting overpaid by 1-1.5m it’s a bad contract.
He was a ufa coming off his second consecutive cup win.
We were a young team that needed a little vet leadership so we could take a big step, and we did.

Reactions: Rongomania

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No it’s a bad contract. A terrible contract is risto at 5.1m for 5 years.
When a player is a 1.5-2m player, and is getting overpaid by 1-1.5m it’s a bad contract.
He was a ufa coming off his second consecutive cup win.
We were a young team that needed a little vet leadership so we could take a big step, and we did.
They are both terrible contracts. You can get 4th line vet leadership without giving a six year deal

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I feel like the Lindgren and Fox pairing is staring to be underrated. Not sure if it’s the ASG curse but Fox has not been very Foxy as of late. That first Montreal goal was a brutal turnover by him and not very Foxy.

I don't see how Lindgren stops him from doing that. Making a dumb decision isn't going to be impacted by who you're on the ice with.

No one wants to hear it, but Miller-Fox has been better than Lindgren-Fox when they're paired together. Lindgren is good at what he does and the team will be better when he returns, but Fox's success is not tied to Lindgren.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Gourde is always injured and Coleman is more of “scoring depth.” Goodrow is a Swiss-army knife. He’s a very important player. A different player than Gourde and Coleman. I could’ve understood trying to get Gourde but he was under contract and Goodrow was not.

Not worth $3.6M, but when they got him I understood the reasoning. If they move on, it’s because they’re in a different spot in their progression and just need what he brings for below market value.

The amount of points Goodrow gets doesn’t matter. It’s not why he’s here.
A measured and well reasoned post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad