Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2022-23): The Puck is Prepared to be Mounted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Even if this team wanted to do a shakeup trade they can’t. Any trade would have to match salary in and salary out. None of the big contracts are gonna waive. Who does that leave? Goodrow has a modified NTC making 3.6 but I doubt they trade him/has much value. The kids? Sure they’re attractive but they’d have to get a young player back on an entry level deal but what team is gonna do that unless it’s a “my underperforming prospect for yours” swap, so that most likely won’t help. They can’t trade the kids in a package because none of the top Rangers will waive anyway. They could probably get first round picks for any of the kids but that would leave holes in the lineup with nobody to replace them and I don’t think Drury is gonna write off the season in November. Lindgren makes 3 million and might be of value, Miller probably has high value but the left side of the defense would be really weak if one of them goes in a trade. Basically the Rangers are gonna have to sort this shit out themselves and I don’t know if they can unless they adapt and actually play a certain way.

Last edited:

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Double down on the royal road revolution. I almost puked when Kreider shot on that 2 on 1 with Foxy.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Just a player who can be physical and play hockey.
i wish we had a power forward like Landeskog. Jamie Benn. Tkachuk brothers, even a guy like Brayden Schenn is a physical guy that can play and fight when needed, cant wait for Othmann Cuylle Sykora Barbashev Berard to be those types in the future

Kreider can be when he wants to be. I wish Mika with his size, would be more physical. I wish Mika had that Ovechkin aggressiveness in his game.. . Too passive at times

Reactions: egelband

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
i wish we had a power forward like Landeskog. Jamie Benn. Tkachuk brothers, even a guy like Brayden Schenn is a physical guy that can play and fight when needed, cant wait for Othmann Cuylle Sykora Barbashev Berard to be those types in the future
All of those players except Benn were top five picks, just for reference.

And when Benn came into the league he could not skate at all. Dallas has been a team able to develop bad skaters though. The Rangers haven’t.

These players don’t grow on trees

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
My thoughts on some players and general whining on this Friday morning:

Kreider: He's gotten worse at carrying the puck and making the right plays. Too many giveaways, gets closed out on the walls. Even with a huge amount of space in OT he got closed out on the walls. Not that hes ever been creative with the puck, but hes not using his speed to stretch the ice like he did all last season. When he plays well he is a force with his legs and in front of the net. Otherwise hes a drag on the top line and should be lower in the lineup. Nothing new to see here.

Blais: His injury was devastating. Joe said hes feeling a lot better but If you really pay attention to how he is skating he really has a long way to go. Its pretty obvious there are a lot of things he cant do and he was not this slow before his injury. He's still pretty ginger on that one leg. Of course you want to give him the time to build the strength back up and get closer to the level he was at, but its going to take time. A lot of time.

Goodrow: So much better suited on the 4th line. Again we are thrusting inferior skaters into top minute roles. The Rangers lack of speed was on full display last night. The Kraken were flying and the difference in skating ability was so evident.

Miller: Somethings gotta be wrong right? He just doesnt look like the player he was last season. Its crazy because he had a dominant preseason and he was toying with the opposition at times. Then it fell off a cliff at some point. Did he sustain an injury? Hoping he did at some point to make some sense of it.

Kakko/Laf/Chytil: Here we go again. Its so goddamn frustrating to watch all of the other 19,20,21,22 top picks on other teams tearing it up and just playing their game with full vigor. And its the same conversation about confidence, PP time. Goodrow and Vesey out there on a zone start in OT. Beniers flying around making a difference each shift. Hughes out there playing with fire with the rest of his bunch in Jersey. Making plays, being dynamic, being young in a young mans league. I've been preaching patience. But im at the point where I just dont know what to think anymore. Its getting embarrassing and as silly as this sounds after games like this I dont even want to deal with thinking about it anymore. Im tired of examining if its the coach, the lineup, the players, pp time, etc. It is what it is. Whether it comes around or not im becoming disenchanted with the whole f***ing thing. The simple fact is they arent making a difference right now and this was a big key to the season.

12:36 Laf
12:54 Kakko
12:35 Chytil

17:09 Beniers

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
For a player that everyone is convinced can't play at 5v5 anymore, is a detriment, and should be moved down the lineup Chris Kreider has the 18th best CF%, 9th best xGF%, and 23rd best GF% of all forwards 200+ mins in the league. And he's done that while shooting 3.5% himself.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
With the way this roster is constructed realistically there's no way to shake things up without selling short on something. Firing Gallant and brining in another mouthpiece will be lipstick on a pig and light a fire under the asses of the players for the remainder of this season but then what?

Reactions: DialUp

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
If we were serious and going for it this year (we should be) heres the moves. I also acknowledge the odds of this happening are 1%.

- Fire Gallant and hire Barry Trotz
- Waive/trade/move both Blais and Reaves and bring up Rydahl as that will allow us to accrue about $7.5-8mm in cap space for the deadline

Deadline Moves
- Kravtsov, 2022 1st, 2023 2nd that turns to 1st if rangers make ECF for Kane. 4th to PHX in return for them taking half of patty kanes cap hit ($5mm but actual $$ will only be around $900K)
- 5th for Nick Holden (bottom pair/#7)
- 3rd for Tyler Motte

Post deadline lineup
Kreider-Zib-Vesey
Panarin-Trocheck-Kane
Kids
Goodrow-Rydahl-Motte
Carpenter

Lindy-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Hajek/Holden-Schneider

^^ that is a legitimate cup team with a cup coach. Drury is brain dead though so this aint happening

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Crazy to think that if the team wins two of Halak's starts they'd be sitting in second place in the division right now.

IF the queen had balls, she'd be king

If we were serious and going for it this year (we should be) heres the moves. I also acknowledge the odds of this happening are 1%.

- Fire Gallant and hire Barry Trotz
- Waive/trade/move both Blais and Reaves and bring up Rydahl as that will allow us to accrue about $7.5-8mm in cap space for the deadline

Deadline Moves
- Kravtsov, 2022 1st, 2023 2nd that turns to 1st if rangers make ECF for Kane. 4th to PHX in return for them taking half of patty kanes cap hit ($5mm but actual $$ will only be around $900K)
- 5th for Nick Holden (bottom pair/#7)
- 3rd for Tyler Motte

Post deadline lineup
Kreider-Zib-Vesey
Panarin-Trocheck-Kane
Kids
Goodrow-Rydahl-Motte
Carpenter

Lindy-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Hajek/Holden-Schneider

^^ that is a legitimate cup team with a cup coach. Drury is brain dead though so this aint happening

No, it's not

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Even if this team wanted to do a shakeup trade they can’t. Any trade would have to match salary in and salary out. None of the big contracts are gonna waive. Who does that leave? Goodrow has a modified NTC making 3.6 but I doubt they trade him/has much value. The kids? Sure they’re attractive but they’d have to get a young player back on an entry level deal but what team is gonna do that unless it’s a “my underperforming prospect for yours” swap, so that most likely won’t help. They can’t trade the kids in a package because none of the top Rangers will waive anyway. They could probably get first round picks for any of the kids but that would leave holes in the lineup with nobody to replace them and I don’t think Drury is gonna write off the season in November. Lindgren makes 3 million and might be of value, Miller probably has high value but the left side of the defense would be really weak if one of them goes in a trade. Basically the Rangers are gonna have to sort this shit out themselves and I don’t know if they can unless they adapt and actually play a certain way.
I agree with 99% of your observation accept I believe at TDL (if we are on the outside looking in) Goodrow, Blais will have value.
Being that said, I hope everyone on this thread reads your post and let your words sink in.
There is no player(s) coming to save us.

My thoughts on some players and general whining on this Friday morning:

Kreider: He's gotten worse at carrying the puck and making the right plays. Too many giveaways, gets closed out on the walls. Even with a huge amount of space in OT he got closed out on the walls. Not that hes ever been creative with the puck, but hes not using his speed to stretch the ice like he did all last season. When he plays well he is a force with his legs and in front of the net. Otherwise hes a drag on the top line and should be lower in the lineup. Nothing new to see here.

Blais: His injury was devastating. Joe said hes feeling a lot better but If you really pay attention to how he is skating he really has a long way to go. Its pretty obvious there are a lot of things he cant do and he was not this slow before his injury. He's still pretty ginger on that one leg. Of course you want to give him the time to build the strength back up and get closer to the level he was at, but its going to take time. A lot of time.

Goodrow: So much better suited on the 4th line. Again we are thrusting inferior skaters into top minute roles. The Rangers lack of speed was on full display last night. The Kraken were flying and the difference in skating ability was so evident.

Miller: Somethings gotta be wrong right? He just doesnt look like the player he was last season. Its crazy because he had a dominant preseason and he was toying with the opposition at times. Then it fell off a cliff at some point. Did he sustain an injury? Hoping he did at some point to make some sense of it.

Kakko/Laf/Chytil: Here we go again. Its so goddamn frustrating to watch all of the other 19,20,21,22 top picks on other teams tearing it up and just playing their game with full vigor. And its the same conversation about confidence, PP time. Goodrow and Vesey out there on a zone start in OT. Beniers flying around making a difference each shift. Hughes out there playing with fire with the rest of his bunch in Jersey. Making plays, being dynamic, being young in a young mans league. I've been preaching patience. But im at the point where I just dont know what to think anymore. Its getting embarrassing and as silly as this sounds after games like this I dont even want to deal with thinking about it anymore. Im tired of examining if its the coach, the lineup, the players, pp time, etc. It is what it is. Whether it comes around or not im becoming disenchanted with the whole f***ing thing. The simple fact is they arent making a difference right now and this was a big key to the season.

12:36 Laf
12:54 Kakko
12:35 Chytil

17:09 Beniers
Blais should have been given a conditioning stint in Hartford to build himself back to NHL form. Not work it out here.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Now, hear me out:

You know how the only thing Julien Gauthier is good at is drawing penalties? Well, aside from being an expert at not finishing or driving to the net and bowling over the goalie...but I digress.
And you know how we can't score 5-on-5?

What if....dammit, I almost had it!

Reactions: egelband

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
For a player that everyone is convinced can't play at 5v5 anymore, is a detriment, and should be moved down the lineup Chris Kreider has the 18th best CF%, 9th best xGF%, and 23rd best GF% of all forwards 200+ mins in the league. And he's done that while shooting 3.5% himself.
That’s cool, but we all have eyes and can see he is ass out there.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Dropping Reaves leaves this team with the same void it had prior to Reaves being on the squad. They got pushed around. Goalies got run. Best players on the team got the crap knocked out of them. Reaves was a huge part on this team coming together last season.

Better to sit him vs clubs that aren't physical.

If they do drop him they need to add someone to replace him. Team plays bigger as a whole with him. Cant blame the slow start on him this season.
They still have guys beat up, roughed up and goalie run even with Reaves. He's NOT a deterrent because he won't beat on someone who isn't officially a heavyweight fighter

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
This is such bullshit. It’s almost statistically impossible that ALL of our draft picks don’t pan out. Nature vs nurture. There is definitely enough there with Chytil, and Kakko to have it not be nature. It’s nurture and always has been from this inept franchise.

Also people complain about the kids but 99% of the cap space of this team is made up by the veteran leadership which is laughable. We’ve hitched our ride to winners like Kreider, Mika,, Trouba, and Panarin who have have been net negatives. The rangers obviously signed/resigned them to drive the bus, but now the bus is stalling and they never taught the kids how to drive.

And then on top of not taking responsibility for it, they’ll blame their own negligence on “bad luck” !

This organization’s arrogance stinks from miles away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad