Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2022-23): The Puck is Prepared to be Mounted

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Dropping Reaves leaves this team with the same void it had prior to Reaves being on the squad. They got pushed around. Goalies got run. Best players on the team got the crap knocked out of them. Reaves was a huge part on this team coming together last season.

Better to sit him vs clubs that aren't physical.

If they do drop him they need to add someone to replace him. Team plays bigger as a whole with him. Cant blame the slow start on him this season.
Just call up Will Cuylle to see if he can handle the tough guys like Frederic, Martin etc. He is that type with more offensive skill.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Has Ben Harpur been a disaster in the AHL? If he's just been normal-bad I think that's the guy they use for 5-10 games and a couple fights, like I was surprised when Tinordi got claimed but I'm not surprised at all he's playing in the league

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Dropping Reaves leaves this team with the same void it had prior to Reaves being on the squad. They got pushed around. Goalies got run. Best players on the team got the crap knocked out of them. Reaves was a huge part on this team coming together last season.

Better to sit him vs clubs that aren't physical.

If they do drop him they need to add someone to replace him. Team plays bigger as a whole with him. Cant blame the slow start on him this season.
If dropping Reaves will hurt our identity that much, what was the plan? play him until he's 44?

he's not an NHLer and the balls he brings don't matter if the other team is on the PP whenever he's on the ice

bonus, he literally deterred none of this and him being out of the line-up almost certainly won't increase these incidents happening.

Reactions: JCProdigy

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
There is theoretical weight classes.

I don’t know why pasta wasn’t dumped on by guys like Goodrow, Blais or Kreider.

There needs to be consequences and repercussions for “dirty” plays. Reaves was predominantly brought in for one heavyweight that had tormented the Rangers. In that sense, his tenure here was a success. Tom Wilson was p***yfooting around the ice last few times we played him.

There are not that many heavyweights left, that’s why Reaves is borderline useless. We’d need a strong middleweight-light heavyweights.

Someone in a Prust mold would be nice.
100% agreed. It just highlights Reaves' uselessness in that regard. When he has his legs (which is seldom), he can get in on the forecheck and really punish puck retrievers. He came out like a man on fire in Game 1 of the Pittsburgh series, then was never heard from again after that. It is what it is. Enforcers don't age well. It's actually impressive that he's lasted this long.

But no one useful is going to fight him. Having a rat in the Clutterbuck mold is far more useful if you're looking to punish someone like Pastrnak for his hit. He'll clearly get his licks in, but he won't be ragdolling Pastrnak. If Reaves goes after him, he'll get dragged off immediately by the refs and given a match penalty.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If we waive Reaves, who's 'that guy'?

We don't necessarily need it right now but things change when the biggest kid in the yard isn't on your team.
We will only lose him if he gets claimed. If he doesn't get claimed, he either stays on the team, or is assigned to Hartford and can be recalled at any time.

At a 1.75 mil cap hit, I'm not sure there's a team that will claim him.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
That's happening with Reaves in the lineup. Chytil just came back after being taken out by a blatant headshot.

Not really. It used to happen on a nightly basis. Other players would even talk about it. They were soft...Got so bad, that Drury overkilled on it 2 seasons ago.

Chytil hit was bad, but compared to the daily it's not even close. Hank was run on a nightly basis. Panarin was f'n Choke slammed!

Most of that shit ended when Reaves came here. He's no spring chicken anymore but he is still an elite Heavyweight.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
If dropping Reaves will hurt our identity that much, what was the plan? play him until he's 44?

he's not an NHLer and the balls he brings don't matter if the other team is on the PP whenever he's on the ice

bonus, he literally deterred none of this and him being out of the line-up almost certainly won't increase these incidents happening.

He's 35 and his contract expires at the end of the season. They can find a replacement next season.

What are you even talking about regarding the Power play comment? He took 1 penalty all season that left the teams shorthanded? Both Fighting majors he had were even 5 min majors for both squads.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
What would Blais return as far as 2023 draft compensation? A third?

I like him as part of a fourth line with Reaves out of the lineup but I’d be fine with cap space and a decent pick in a good draft as well.
No reason to trade him truthfully, esp if Reaves is moved. He could be very valuable in the playoffs, especially if he keeps improving after not playing for a year.

Plus if we trade him then we are just going to be trading away an assest(s) to replace him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larrybiv and n8

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
We will only lose him if he gets claimed. If he doesn't get claimed, he either stays on the team, or is assigned to Hartford and can be recalled at any time.

At a 1.75 mil cap hit, I'm not sure there's a team that will claim him.
If this is entirely about clearing cap, I'd want a clear plan of action for how that space is getting used. Until then, expensive cheerleader it is. His contract ends this year. In the event we need the cap, we can waive him (or is he too old?). If claimed, solved. I don't see the point of giving assets away to clear cap we aren't actually planning to use yet. But I also haven't hated Reaves. He's performing as expected (expectations were not high).

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If this is entirely about clearing cap, I'd want a clear plan of action for how that space is getting used. Until then, expensive cheerleader it is. His contract ends this year. In the event we need the cap, we can waive him (or is he too old?). If claimed, solved. I don't see the point of giving assets away to clear cap we aren't actually planning to use yet. But I also haven't hated Reaves. He's performing as expected (expectations were not high).
Sticking him in Hartford will allow us to bank more cap space for the trade deadline. Even if we bring someone up to replace him, they will cost less against the cap than the 1.125 mil we will save by sending Reaves down.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
LOL....thinking about a couple of comments about Kreider picking up some of the heavy lifting if Reaves is gone . For F sakes.....he could not even handle PK Subban . As useless in that regard as a player we have ever had .....well except for Per Djoos or the kid? the Isles destroyed . Jeff Bloomberg.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
That have drafted, traded for and signed guys with no balls. That may have changed with Othmann, Cuylle and Grubbe, but they are 1-2+ years away.

Reaves was brought in here to provide said balls, but as it happens to all aging enforcers, his effectiveness and overall game has declined.

Addressing guys like Pasta should have been immediate and it shouldn't fall to just one guy.

Anyone tjat was on the ice in the moment or the next time pasta was on the ice, he should have been knocked on his ass be that from Mika or CK or Panarin.

Taking care of your teammates IS what leadership looks like.

Not our guys.

Last edited:

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
That have drafted, traded for and signed guys with no balls. That may have changed with Othmann, Cuylle and Grubbe, but they are 1-2+ years away.

Reaves was brought in here to provide said balls, but as it happens to all aging enforcers, his effectiveness and overall game has declined.

Addressing guys like Pasta should have been immediate and it shouldn't fall to just one guy.

Anyone tjat was on the ice in the moment or the next time pasta was on the ice, he should have been knocked on his ass be that from Mika or CK or Panarin.

Taking care of your teammates IS what leadership looks like.

Not our guys.
Reaves is never going to go after a guy like pasta. Someone mentioned before, there’s a weight class concept.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
If we were to get rid of Reeves, maybe that McCarron guy in Nashville (going nowhere) could be had for peanuts? He did not look that terrible last we played.

Reactions: leetch99

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Reaves is never going to go after a guy like pasta. Someone mentioned before, there’s a weight class concept.

Never used to be.

Used to be, someone took liberties, they personally had to pay the price.

The weight class concept is silly.

Pasta is not deterred if Reaves fights a teammate.

Pasta IS deterred if he personally has to answer to Reaves.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I can't believe it's about to be 2023 and we still can't have a discussion without multiple people bringing up "what if there's a line brawl?"

Why would that be such a bad thing.

Not sure I get it.

If its justified and deserving, have at it.

If its a clown show like what happend with NJ, then I agree we can do without it.

But hitting one of our guys high and dirty should have prompted an immediate response from this "clsoe-knit" group.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
If we were to get rid of Reeves, maybe that McCarron guy in Nashville (going nowhere) could be had for peanuts? He did not look that terrible last we played.
Rather wait for Cuylle or try to find the next Colton Orr someone who is on the cusp but has to go through waivers. Boy id love a power forward type Tanner Jeanott would be a good pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad