Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2022-23): The Puck is Prepared to be Mounted

Status
Not open for further replies.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
No costly rentals please. Motte, Barbashev, etc.... for 3rds 4ths etc... Yes.

Not into giving up 3-4 prime assets for a deadline rental where we'll likely face the Devils in the first round and that's a tossup series with or without Meier.

Reactions: Riche16

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Would be crazy not to do that honestly.

A 1st is a 1st alright, we have 2.

Jones is someone I was hoping would grab a spot and run with. He should be playing over Harpur but he didn't exactly shine in the moment either. He still could, but its pretty clear that if he becomes something it won't be here.

Kravtsov blows.

Its really a 1st and Jones. Thats more than reasonable for a rental Meier.

He'll get more from someone if the Sharks move him at all. They don't have to do it yet.

Reactions: Daves a mess

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
If Kane needs hip surgery with a recovery time of 6 months why would he possible play through this season and harm his contract for next year instead of just getting it done now and being ready to go in October? He's on one of the worst teams in the league. He's going to cost himself millions so he can do the Blackhawks a favor to get some assets?
Maybe he doesn't require surgery. A trade can be conditional if he has an injury.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I dont see Chytil/Kakko/Laff as prospects at all
Fair. I guess I translated it for the Rangers as teams do with most deals. I feel like they'd be trying to rip one of the boys from us.

No that would be a 1st, Othmann and 2 of Jones/Cuylle/Berard/Sykora/BMB/Robertson (if Grier/Moorehouse like him enough)

Like thats still probably a no since theres almost no way that hes anything but a rental.
Fair enough. Like I said above, I translated that a bit like I feel it usually goes with us.

1st Krav Jones for rental Meier and I'd do it. Call me crazy.
Crazy,... but I'd do it with a 2nd that could turn into a 1st with a Cup appearance. That + being able to explore him as a long term option before possibly shipping out his rights before July 1st deadline would be a worth it gamble to me.

Reactions: skipmowerman

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

"With Horvat moved, all eyes are on Timo Meier as the top forward available. He's 26, and scoring at a career pace (0.55 goals per game through his first 51 games) at exactly the right time. Meier is a restricted free agent this summer (albeit with a $10 million qualifying offer). But teams around the league are hoping to negotiate a new contract with Meier's camp in facilitating the trade, hoping they can get him in the $8 million to $9 million range. The Metro rival Devils and New York Rangers are both very interested, though cautious about getting into a bidding war, because they're not alone in that interest. "Everyone is talking to San Jose about Timo Meier," one Eastern Conference executive told me. "Everyone is monitoring it."

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

"With Horvat moved, all eyes are on Timo Meier as the top forward available. He's 26, and scoring at a career pace (0.55 goals per game through his first 51 games) at exactly the right time. Meier is a restricted free agent this summer (albeit with a $10 million qualifying offer). But teams around the league are hoping to negotiate a new contract with Meier's camp in facilitating the trade, hoping they can get him in the $8 million to $9 million range. The Metro rival Devils and New York Rangers are both very interested, though cautious about getting into a bidding war, because they're not alone in that interest. "Everyone is talking to San Jose about Timo Meier," one Eastern Conference executive told me. "Everyone is monitoring it."
I don't see how we could be in the Meier sweepstakes, we can't extend him unless Drury does something stupid.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

Seems like there is so much smoke around this one. Rangers have those pieces. They have the "deadline space" to take his current contract on. I guess it is possible they do swing a deal for Meier. Keep him for the playoffs, and gain assets back in a trade post season prior to Free agency. Deadline is June 29th for Qualifying offers for RFA's. If they fail to do so he becomes a UFA. I would assume, they wouldn't let him go there so they could give him the QO and then look to work with his agent on a trade and recoup some of the assets they gave up for him prior to free agency. Maybe get a 1st and a prospect or cost controlled player back from another club looking to sign him. This could also be a way to keep him out of Jersey. The thought of Hughes and Meier or Hischier and Meier makes my stomach turn!

Maybe Drury's playing Chess. Too much?

One for one Horvat i would say is the better of the two players but it is very close. Centers are always worth more. Both players are currently near PPG production. Horvat for the 1st time in his career has surpassed it but the seasons not over yet. Horvat got $9.5. I read Meier's QO is $10mil? Seems high. With that said, it's certainly out of reach in terms of what the NY Rangers can afford under the cap. But, the ask for him doesn't seem like its too much if an acquiring team is willing to and has the ability to give him a new contract.

Meier LW/RW 26 Years Old- 445 NHL Games.
1675804155724.png

Horvat C 27 Years Old- 621 NHL Games.
1675804233245.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad