Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXIV: We have Cap space! Hoorraayy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
McDonagh Shattenkirk
Skjei DeAngelo
Staal Bereglazov
Graves/Holden

I've seen it a bunch of times so I'm not singling you out...

Bear gloves shouldn't be on the right side. IIRC he played the large majority of the KHL playoffs on the left so even if he can play both, the adjustment with ice surfaces would have him better suited to play on his strong side. Throwing him on the right side is only giving him even more to deal with.

Staal will achieve new and previously unimaginable levels of suck no matter where you play him and hes not a part of this teams future, let him play on the right side if hes going to play at all.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Bear gloves shouldn't be on the right side. IIRC he played the large majority of the KHL playoffs on the left so even if he can play both, the adjustment with ice surfaces would have him better suited to play on his strong side. Throwing him on the right side is only giving him even more to deal with.

Staal will achieve new and previously unimaginable levels of suck no matter where you play him and hes not a part of this teams future, let him play on the right side if hes going to play at all.

Save us, Dale Tallon!!!

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Substitute graves for kampfer who got a nice contract.

Graves isn't going to sit in press box. Let him keep playing in Hartford.

I'd like smith back but you wonder how high they are on bereglazov

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I think RB's point was that they moved Stepan so that they can get even quicker.

Replacing him with Thornton doesn't exactly help them there.

They also moved Stepan because of the 4 year contract committment, the first two of those years being covered by a No Movement clause.

Thornton comes with none of that.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
RGY...you've been espousing Thornton as much as I've been saying Bonino.

Let me ask you this: What is Joe's motivation to come here first off?

Secondly, you do reliaze he would NOT come here on a one year deal...yes? He would likley want minimum of two if not 3 years. If that was the case would you give him 3 years?

Oh and one other thing...there's that always frustrating money thing. How much money do you think Joe would want to transplant his family back to the east coast? You know he'd want alot...yes?

He's not coming for less than 4.0. You do realize that. So let's just say Joe says "hmmm...I like Gorton...I like the Rangers...let me go play the last years of my career in NY and see if I can help them win a Cup".

So you would be willing to pay him 4.25 let's say for 3 years to come here and play?

We can pay the same if not less than that for Bonino for 4 years and he's only 29. Hanzel would likely be 3.5 for 3.

I don't know RY...I hear ya about Joe and I love the guy but I don't want him taking up 4 mill in cap space for 3 years consdiering what we are doing. I'd take him for one year maybe and that's only if he wanted less than 3.5 and you and I both know that aint happening. He might as well just to back to San Jose and why aggravate himself and move here and deal with the NY media and us on HF boards......lol

I cant answer all of this because im getting back to work but;

I dont like Bonino and what he will command over a longer term.

I think the part about Joe having to move his family back East is being overplayed. It is the last few years of his career and if there is a fit somewhere he will go. Dan Boyle did it. It has been rumored yesterday by I believe Pagnotta who said Joe would be interested in playing for Montreal so I dont think staying in SJ is holding him back.

I would be willing to give him $4 for 2 years with the incentive of playing for a great organization in NY, an original 6, a team that can still compete for a cup, and to play with one of his best friends in Nash.

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
PHP:
Why do you want him?

Perfect 2C behind Zibanejad. I love his game. Fantastic vision, underrated skating and shot. McDavid is clearly the big star in Edmonton, but I imagine under different circumstances RNH could be incredible. I'm not out here asking for Yakupov. I still legitimately believe RNH could be a force.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I was under the impression that Bear Gloves is primarily a RD (who is a lefty). Someone in the know clear this up!

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Are you giving 38 year old Joe Thornton a 3 year contract? Stepan and Hayes are not 38 years old coming off major knee surgery.

38 years old off an injured season means that there is significant risk to signing him to anything more than a 1 year contract. Both GM's and Thornton's camp (he himself and his agent) understand this. Tack on the injuries, and there is almost no chance Thornton gets even a 2 year contract

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Hanzal would be perfect on a 2-year deal. Brings exactly what Rangers need from their 3C with Hayes and Zibanejad playing in top6. In two years Lias should be ready to be top9 C.

I watched him in Minny and he looked so -so...is he fast enough? Reminds me of Holik

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I'm evaluating the trade in the now. In the now, I see that Jeff Gorton didn't get good value for Stepan. Perhaps what he got was max-market value for Stepan, but at a certain point, not making a deal is better than making a deal. I believe this is one of those instances.

Right now, it's a bad trade. If you want to give yourself the window of 2-3 years before you evaluate the deal, that's cool. Must be nice not ever being able to be wrong.

So far Gorton hasn't been wrong...why is that so hard to admit?. He's made some excellent under the radar moves last few years(ie...Grabner,Vesey,Holden,Raanta,Peumple and some more). He's made some good deals getting Mika and Smith. The team has made the playoffs and even won a round and probably should have made it to the ECF last year under his watch. Yes he screwed up bringing in Brandon Pirri....I'll give you that one.

But overall, I don't see how any of us can criticize what he's done and what he continues to do to help move replenish our team with young players while at same time remaining competive and playoff worthy and who knows maybe even Cup worthy...we'll see. Jury is out on the Stepan deal. On the surface I'm a bit iffy but hopefull about it. I trust Gorton. And we'll see what he does once July 1st comes and goes. I think we'll have a better sense thJan to what JG is trying to accomplish.

But until than for a guy to be 95% if not better on the moves he's made, I think criticizing him seem kind of petty if you ask me.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
So far Gorton hasn't been wrong...why is that so hard to admit?. He's made some excellent under the radar moves last few years(ie...Grabner,Vesey,Holden,Raanta,Peumple and some more). He's made some good deals getting Mika and Smith. The team has made the playoffs and even won a round and probably should have made it to the ECF last year under his watch. Yes he screwed up bringing in Brandon Pirri....I'll give you that one.

But overall, I don't see how any of us can criticize what he's done and what he continues to do to help move replenish our team with young players while at same time remaining competive and playoff worthy and who knows maybe even Cup worthy...we'll see. Jury is out on the Stepan deal. On the surface I'm a bit iffy but hopefull about it. I trust Gorton. And we'll see what he does once July 1st comes and goes. I think we'll have a better sense thJan to what JG is trying to accomplish.

But until than for a guy to be 95% if not better on the moves he's made, I think criticizing him seem kind of petty if you ask me.

In your opinion.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Read that Yakupov isn't being qualified. There's a guy I'd take on a 2-year, ~$1.5MM AAV contract. Definition of a lottery ticket, only costs $600K if you bury him, and if it's not working out he may want to be released to go back to Russia anyway.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Evander Kane on the wing and JT in the Pivot? Low acquisition cost and hopefully motivated player going into contract year

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
good lord no to thornton. does not fit the narrative for this team.

faster, younger, cheaper, more skilled.

i am just as inclined to see what andersson brings in camp, give him a chance to win the 3C job, hopefully boo nieves grabs the 4C and plays it out to start the season with the middle looking like this.

mika
hayes
andersson
nieves

not even opposed to letting andersson beat out nieves for the 4C or visa versa if one doesnt show in camp and then adding a 3C to fill a spot for 1 -2 yrs.

not ideal not perfect but theres plenty of time to tweak the roster. lots of guys available after camps close and there will be guys who can play the 3C to be had.

if we add shattenkirk, resign smith and have deangelo in the top 6, im stoked with that defense enough to ride it out with the centerman we have.

it doesn't look that great on paper, lots of unknowns but were not smaller and were alot faster with those 4 guys in the middle.

seems to me that JG doesnt seem to concerned with even adding a true 1C. i think he thinks mika is exactly that now.

I agree with the bold. I think we have a legit 1C in Zib.

Duchene would be a good get but I don't know what it would cost. Would not be opposed to re-acquiring Lindberg either.

If you went into this season with:

Zibanejad
Duchene (assuming you trade Hayes for him)
Lindberg
Nieves/Andersson

That's nice center depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad