Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXIV: We have Cap space! Hoorraayy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I definitely want Smith back. I'd like Shatty too but not as the highest bidder.

Are there any potential McD partners on the market who can be had for under 6 million AAV? I feel like the Rangers are constantly working around bad contracts and Shattenkirk will be one in a few years too.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I've mentioned it before but the Rangers have a ton of cap space. Marcus Kruger is a very good defensive center. Who on the Rangers currently is taking the late game hard shift?

Get a pick from Chicago for taking that contract and play him on the 4th line for 2 years. He's an overpaid stopgap but it's only 2 years. Add another asset like say a 2nd for relieving their cap nightmare and it's worth it.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I definitely want Smith back. I'd like Shatty too but not as the highest bidder.

Are there any potential McD partners on the market who can be had for under 6 million AAV? I feel like the Rangers are constantly working around bad contracts and Shattenkirk will be one in a few years too.

Don't agree. He doesn't play a type of game that will cause his skill set to deteriorate in 3-5 years.

Additionally, the system we play is not designed for physicality, it's designed with skill and skating and smarts as the cornerstones. He'll be fine for the next 4+ years. Easily.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I've mentioned it before but the Rangers have a ton of cap space. Marcus Kruger is a very good defensive center. Who on the Rangers currently is taking the late game hard shift?

Get a pick from Chicago for taking that contract and play him on the 4th line for 2 years. He's an overpaid stopgap but it's only 2 years. Add another asset like say a 2nd for relieving their cap nightmare and it's worth it.

Krüger is very overrated and overpaid, i don't want him at all. Okey, maybe if we get a good asset added on, something like DeBrincat.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think some of the were rebuilding guys are dreaming. We didn't get ourselves 20 mil in space to not try and win a championship. They sold high on Stepan like they did brassard. It's exactly what gorton said it was rebuilding on the fly. We're just changing our dynamics a bit. I think you're dreaming if u think we aren't getting Shattenkirk a 28 year old dman a true rebuilding team wouldn't sign.

He's coming. Smith probably coming back to. Look at that we've totally rebuilt our weakness the right side of the D.

Hayes puts up Stepan numbers already and zibanejad is a better player too. Miller should also be ready to be a full time center. But even so we'll grab another center. We'll grab a back up goalie.

We are hiring a veteran experience D coach

This team will be all in again this season.

And ps it'll be 23 mil when Klein calls it a day.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
We're not rebuilding, we're clearly re-tooling. Gorton saying "rebuilding on the fly" is really interesting and i like it, shows we're thinking long term along with wanting to be good now.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
It means adding young players and flipping this core while we can still sell high while staying in the mix.

Brassard for zibanejad did not hurt us made us better

Signing s Vesey signing a Bereglazov getting a DeAngelo

We'll be right there again this year. A lot still depends on Hank. Is he done? Maybe. If he's got another year or two left of being really good we'll be fine.

The trade to look for right now is staal to Dallas for a goalie. I really believe there's something brewing in some iteration there.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

I will be really worried If Smith doesn't come back cause other options stink

McD, heck if I know
Skjei , Smith
Staal , Deangelo
Berzeglov

Rather Holden over Staal but doubt he can be dumped

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
If we're trying to be somewhat competitive, we need Smith and Shattenkirk. We moved Stepan for cap space, we should now use it.

Or just blow it up. That's always the other option. Just don't half-ass this.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
We're not rebuilding, we're clearly re-tooling. Gorton saying "rebuilding on the fly" is really interesting and i like it, shows we're thinking long term along with wanting to be good now.

The problem is that rebuilding on the fly doesn't win titles. We'll be good enough to make the playoffs, perhaps win a round or two and that's it.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
The problem is that rebuilding on the fly doesn't win titles. We'll be good enough to make the playoffs, perhaps win a round or two and that's it.

I know the same teams win all the time but I honestly think this years team just blew it. They should if best Ottawa and blew it . Pens were hurt and ripe for the pickings

Nashville was 8th and almost did it

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think we should sign shatty..but I. Also more in favor of moving Skjei for MacKinnon.

Can u do a monster trade? Skjei Hayes Miller 2018 first for Duchene MacKinnon and landeskog?

How many teams can absorb that much cap?

Kreider MacKinnon zucc
Vesey zibanejad buchnevich
Landeskog duchene Nash
Really cheap 4th line

McD shatty
And then some combo of Holden pionk bear staal (yuck) deangelo etc

D is very very young and questionable...but man...that offense....

Just unleashing my inner been.

mti79

May 11, 2007
So I know we have all this new found cap space, but what are we realistically looking at after resigning our RFA's and what holes will be left to plug? Zib, Fast, Jensen, Paliotta.... We should have some money to play with.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
It means adding young players and flipping this core while we can still sell high while staying in the mix.

Brassard for zibanejad did not hurt us made us better

Signing s Vesey signing a Bereglazov getting a DeAngelo

We'll be right there again this year. A lot still depends on Hank. Is he done? Maybe. If he's got another year or two left of being really good we'll be fine.

The trade to look for right now is staal to Dallas for a goalie. I really believe there's something brewing in some iteration there.

I can see something like Nash at 50% and Staal for Faksa, one of the goalies and 2018 #1

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I have no idea what rebuilding on the fly means, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean handing out 7 year contracts to Kevin Shattenkirk.

It absolutely does. By the way, rebuilding on the fly is exactly what the Rangers did from 2004-2011. That's the model. Granted that doing it on the fly wasn't the plan when it started in 2004. That rebuild, we were unlucky enough to not develop an elite forward, but that's still what was happening. In the meantime, we signed Drury, Gomez and Redden while simultaneously adding youthful assets to the NHL team like Callahan, Dubinsky, Tyutin, Staal, Girardi, Anisimov, Korpikoski, Sauer, Del Zotto, and Stepan. Eventually McDonagh and Kreider too.

This time around, we are starting from a better base than the young players that we had in 2004.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I don't even think that they're a lock to make the playoffs even if they sign Shattenkirk.

They weren't THAT much better than their competition this year and the top 3 in the division are still clearly better than they are. They just traded one of their most important players who can't be replaced with out drastically changing another part of the team.

Embrace the suck. Theres no reason to spend loads of cash on players that have like a 2% chance of getting you anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad