Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXIV: We have Cap space! Hoorraayy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Thornton is 37 and still had 50 points last year. I wouldn't want him for more than 1 year, but someone is going to give him a 2 year deal, IMO.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Really hope we take care of Smith in the next couple days, then zero in on Shatty.

Come away with those two to start then turn the focus to Thornton/Sharp/Williams and Boyle

I get the feeling it will be Shattenkirk or Smith. Not both

And Thornton is the only one I could potentially see the team having an interest in. Others, don't see it.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Thornton is 37 and still had 50 points last year. I wouldn't want him for more than 1 year, but someone is going to give him a 2 year deal, IMO.

If we had a #1C and needed Joe to be the 2/3 as a vet on the team and I was right there with Pitt, i'd give him a 2Y deal and jsut eat the second year to make a run ... but we aren't there.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If the Rangers are looking at moving Miller back to center, then it's fair to assume that not one of Thornton, Hanzal or Bonino will be a target this off-season.

Yeah I think this could be the plan. Zib, Hayes, and Miller down the middle, and see if any of them can establish themselves as that #1 guy. If they do, then that's one problem solved. If they can't then at least the landscape is likely to change by the time they have to make that decision. Then with any luck Andersson can step into a 3C role, and one of the aforementioned 3 can be moved to fill another need.

Throw a bottom-dollar 1 year deal at Yakupov as a filler / reclamation project with an out clause to go to Russia if he flops.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
If we had a #1C and needed Joe to be the 2/3 as a vet on the team and I was right there with Pitt, i'd give him a 2Y deal and jsut eat the second year to make a run ... but we aren't there.

We are hoping Zib takes the next step. Same with Hayes/Miller.

It is a gamble to hope for those things so that Joe doesnt have to be a dominant #1C.

Also, if this team can be competitive and is having a good season, with the amount of cap space we will likely have during the season and at the deadline and with contracts coming off the books, there could be a UFA-to-be rental center at the deadline. The 2018-2019 free agency class features Henrik Sedin, Paul Stastny, Tavares (unlikely because Islanders), Mikko Koivu (unlikely because Minnesota will compete), Turris, Backlund, etc. Slide Hayes to the wing for the playoffs.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Jonathan Willis of Sportsnet/Yahoo claiming there is heavy interest in Girardi, multiple teams, and Girardi is "likely to get a multi-year deal".

Can't link from twitter at work, but go check out the feed @JonathanWillis

If true, like, really? We couldn't get a team to bite on a dumb trade? So where are all the MFers who want Marc Staal? There has to be an idiot GM out there somewhere.

Well, Girardi costing no assets and not under contract for the next 4 years at 6 mil per is a completely different scenario than the Rangers trying to trade Girardi pre-buyout.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
We are hoping Zib takes the next step. Same with Hayes/Miller.

It is a gamble to hope for those things so that Joe doesnt have to be a dominant #1C.

Also, if this team can be competitive and is having a good season, with the amount of cap space we will likely have during the season and at the deadline and with contracts coming off the books, there could be a UFA-to-be rental center at the deadline. The 2018-2019 free agency class features Henrik Sedin, Paul Stastny, Tavares (unlikely because Islanders), Mikko Koivu (unlikely because Minnesota will compete), Turris, Backlund, etc. Slide Hayes to the wing for the playoffs.

Maybe it's just me, I just don't see Zib as a #1 yet ... I don't think he can compete yet with Crosby McDavid Toews Tavares

Keyword; YET

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Yakupov had a good season, mostly with Paajarvi and Lehrera as linemates

Not sure why but whenever I think of Yakupov coming here even on a low risk high reward contract, the name Nicolai Zherdev appears in my brain.

You want to talk about a kid who was uber talented, uber skilled, uber wheels yet had a 10 cent brain, Zherdev was the poster boy.

Yakupov to me seems like this generations Zherdev. I think his ship has sailed unfortunately even at the early age of 23 incredibly.

Zheredev who ironically had a pretty darn good regular season for us in his only season as a Ranger back in '08 when he scored 58 points, hasn't played in the NHL since he was 25.

When he came to the league, you'd think he was going to have a 15-20 year career. Instead Zherdev lasted 5 years and was gonzo.

I don't know about Yakupov. I think he is what he is. I think he'd be a waste of space and possibly block one of our kids from playing this year. I'd let him go somewhere else.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009

True, good point!

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Maybe it's just me, I just don't see Zib as a #1 yet ... I don't think he can compete yet with Crosby McDavid Toews Tavares

Keyword; YET

The Mika that emerged in the playoffs first off was much better than the regular season version of Mika...agreed? Especially the Mika that came back from a broken leg. That Mika was barely a #3 center to be honest.

However the one we saw vs Montreal and Ottawa, was much more like the Zibs we thought we were getting and he looked like he could fill a lower tier #1A Center roll for sure. He by far was our best forward and really was quite impressive. I admit I was surprised by his performance. I mean I always thought he had it in him as I've watched plenty of his games over the past 3-4 years but I was more hopeful than anything.

He really showed he could play with the big boys in big situations and come through. So yeah, I think alot of what JG's decion making process is based on his belief that Mika is ready to join the list of lower tier #1A centers in the league. He plays like he did in the playoffs, we will be fine.

That's why if we add even a Hanzel or a Bonino to go with Hayes and let's say a Nieves on the 4th line or maybe JG goes out and get a Brian Boyle, I think we'd be really OK there. Not elite but we'd be just fine. Fix the back end with a Shatty and re-sign Smith, Hank playing with a chip on his shoulder to show last year was a fluke and we are in business for a fun and productive season.

That's my story and has been and I'm sticking to it...
:nod:

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Get Gagner on a short deal

He's be my 3rd choice behind Bonino and Hanzel. If those two get stupid and think their **** don't stink and start asking for $4.0 x4 or someing zaney, I do think bringing in a Gagne who looks like he had a bit of a career resurgance in Columbus last year, makes sense.

Something in the 2.5 x 3 range is something we could live with as he'd be a decent add to fill the Stepan void. Maybe he doesn't get 50 points but 40 is not out of the question. And we'd make up for the rest and more by bringing in Shatty.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Gagne ends up JG's move at center if you guys end up being right and Bonino and Hanzel get stupid with their money demands.

1Knee1T

Jun 29, 2008
Not sure why but whenever I think of Yakupov coming here even on a low risk high reward contract, the name Nicolai Zherdev appears in my brain.

You want to talk about a kid who was uber talented, uber skilled, uber wheels yet had a 10 cent brain, Zherdev was the poster boy.

Yakupov to me seems like this generations Zherdev. I think his ship has sailed unfortunately even at the early age of 23 incredibly.

Zheredev who ironically had a pretty darn good regular season for us in his only season as a Ranger back in '08 when he scored 58 points, hasn't played in the NHL since he was 25.

When he came to the league, you'd think he was going to have a 15-20 year career. Instead Zherdev lasted 5 years and was gonzo.

I don't know about Yakupov. I think he is what he is. I think he'd be a waste of space and possibly block one of our kids from playing this year. I'd let him go somewhere else.

Zherdev was ahead of* his time. I think a 60 point player with the "possession" (re: shot attempt) numbers he posted would get top line minutes today.

Last edited:

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
He's be my 3rd choice behind Bonino and Hanzel. If those two get stupid and think their **** don't stink and start asking for $4.0 x4 or someing zaney, I do think bringing in a Gagne who looks like he had a bit of a career resurgance in Columbus last year, makes sense.

Something in the 2.5 x 3 range is something we could live with as he'd be a decent add to fill the Stepan void. Maybe he doesn't get 50 points but 40 is not out of the question. And we'd make up for the rest and more by bringing in Shatty.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Gagne ends up JG's move at center if you guys end up being right and Bonino and Hanzel get stupid with their money demands.

I also think JG doesn't want Bonino and Hanzel. I think he looks to acquire players that are more suited for the modern day fast pace NHL. Guys who can skate and keep up.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I also think JG doesn't want Bonino and Hanzel. I think he looks to acquire players that are more suited for the modern day fast pace NHL. Guys who can skate and keep up.

I'd be fine with Gagner for up to 3 years
gotta have someone replace Step as son of a former ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad