Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXIV: We have Cap space! Hoorraayy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I know the same teams win all the time but I honestly think this years team just blew it. They should if best Ottawa and blew it . Pens were hurt and ripe for the pickings

Nashville was 8th and almost did it

We had the easiest road that we could possibly hope for and still couldn't get out of the second round. Rebuilding makes a ton of sense. Pittsburgh and Washington are aging and won't be contenders for much longer. We could own the Metro division in a few years if we play our cards right. Toronto is really the only potential powerhouse in the East.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
We had the easiest road that we could possibly hope for and still couldn't get out of the second round. Rebuilding makes a ton of sense. Pittsburgh and Washington are aging and won't be contenders for much longer. We could own the Metro division in a few years if we play our cards right. Toronto is really the only potential powerhouse in the East.

Philly is going to the top soon as well. 3-4 years?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't even think that they're a lock to make the playoffs even if they sign Shattenkirk.

They weren't THAT much better than their competition this year and the top 3 in the division are still clearly better than they are. They just traded one of their most important players who can't be replaced with out drastically changing another part of the team.

Embrace the suck. Theres no reason to spend loads of cash on players that have like a 2% chance of getting you anywhere.

2 playoff games probably makes the team more money each season than they'll pay Shattenkirk. I don't take issue with the idea that we start from scratch. I take issue with the idea that it would ever happen in this organization.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The ONLY way this team picks top 3 is if the wheels fall off during the season and the team playsike garbage for the majority of the year.

The front office will not make moves to ensure that we suck, but I doubt they try to save a sinking ship with a blockbuster.

This season coming would be the perfect time to pull off an epic failure of a season. But make no mistake, the front office will make moves with winning in mind 9 out of 10 times

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
The other thing about Shattenkirk is that there is a good chance at a compliance buy out period in 4 years after the next lockout. They could go the caps/Oshie route figuring they could just buyout without penalty the last 2-3 years of Shatty's deal if his game is turning.

The Rangers could surprise us all and go full rebuild, but that isn't this franchise.

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
I'm on board for signing shatty and smith and moving out Holden and Klein. It instantly makes the team better and elevates the defense to one of the tops in the league.

The New York rangers have been known to be a winning culture for a long time now. They have had tremendous success without actually winning the cup. I want all of the young players: buch, vesey, skjei, deangelo and even zib to develop on a team that actually tries to win the cup every year. I'm not opposed to moving Nash and I'm not opposed to moving zuc to recoup assets but then I'd love for them to bring in someone like Kane. A lot can happen. They have a lot of moves to make. It'll be interested to see what direction they take.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
The problem is that rebuilding on the fly doesn't win titles. We'll be good enough to make the playoffs, perhaps win a round or two and that's it.

I mean, it depends... Not like Gorton isn't going to add during a season if we look like a top team in the league... rebuilding on the fly can mean so much.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Signing Shattenkirk and Smith while bringing in DeAngelo all for the right side makes this team infinitely better than last year. Not sure people realize how bad our D was last year on the right. Killed us. Mcdonagh and Skjei are two absolute studs. You legit put good players like the 3 mentioned above next to them and that is a serious serious change.

Stepan as I've said many times this summer played himself off this team. He was that bad this year and somehow even worse come playoff time. His play alone probably cost us an eastern conference final berth. Zibanejad was flat out dominating games at times. Stepan was nowhere to be found.

I think we are pinned a lot less and on the move a lot more with that new blue line if it comes to fruition

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I've mentioned it before but the Rangers have a ton of cap space. Marcus Kruger is a very good defensive center. Who on the Rangers currently is taking the late game hard shift?

Get a pick from Chicago for taking that contract and play him on the 4th line for 2 years. He's an overpaid stopgap but it's only 2 years. Add another asset like say a 2nd for relieving their cap nightmare and it's worth it.

do not want Kruger
Nash at 50% for Anisimov
let them keep MK.

Normally, don't see they do it, but helps w/Hossa development this year, and creates more cap flexibility for chicago going forward

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Signing Shattenkirk and Smith while bringing in DeAngelo all for the right side makes this team infinitely better than last year. Not sure people realize how bad our D was last year on the right. Killed us. Mcdonagh and Skjei are two absolute studs. You legit put good players like the 3 mentioned above next to them and that is a serious serious change.

Stepan as I've said many times this summer played himself off this team. He was that bad this year and somehow even worse come playoff time. His play alone probably cost us an eastern conference final berth. Zibanejad was flat out dominating games at times. Stepan was nowhere to be found.

I think we are pinned a lot less and on the move a lot more with that new blue line if it comes to fruition

I think that's exactly the plan. They are willing to sacrifice a little defensive acuity for speedier puck movers. Going for less defensive zone time and dynamic offense.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
It doesnt matter what Gorton says or what we think, we so know deep down the Rangers are not going full rebuild.. When they trade Mcdonagh and Zucc then I'll believe it.. They have 20 to 23M in cap space barring any other deals... they're going to use 95% of it at least

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Dallas has $20m in cap. They will buy out niemi. They aren't coughing up assets for a relief move. However I see more value in Nash than most. He might bring back enough if we retain.

Elevate

May 30, 2014
I think we could probably fill some shoes with UFAs. Not so high on the big tickets though, don't see Thornton as a fit. Maybe roll the dice on someone like Sam Gagner for 2/3 C. I'd like to get Winnik for 4C if it's not too dear. Zib-Hayes-Gagner-Winnik.

Sign one of Shattenkirk/Smith/Franson. Preferably Shattenkirk but please, please don't hand out an Orpik-like deal. Play Bereglazov and DeAngelo, think about flipping Staal.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think that's exactly the plan. They are willing to sacrifice a little defensive acuity for speedier puck movers. Going for less defensive zone time and dynamic offense.

You need a mix of both, but the "stay at home D" can't be guys like Girardi and Staal.

From a fit standpoint, Tanev would be better than Shattenkirk, but there is risk attached there as well.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
You need a mix of both, but the "stay at home D" can't be guys like Girardi and Staal.

From a fit standpoint, Tanev would be better than Shattenkirk, but there is risk attached there as well.

Sure, but Tanev cost assets, while Shatty is just cap space, which the Rangers suddenly have a lot of and may be acquiring more.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Sure, but Tanev cost assets, while Shatty is just cap space, which the Rangers suddenly have a lot of and may be acquiring more.

This is true, but he also only comes with a 3 year commitment and makes 2 mill less than what Shattenkirk is going to get.

Tanev hasn't made it through a season with out getting hurt in seemingly forever now so there is risk there (plus he will cost assets as you stated), but his style of D is what we need more so than Shattenkirk.

As it stands right now, I don't see the reason to add either of them. Until we replace Derek Stepan, there is no reason to spend huge dollars on anyone, with the exception of something crazy happening.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Rangers arent retaining money on Nash when he only has this year left unless they get an actual return.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
I can see something like Nash at 50% and Staal for Faksa, one of the goalies and 2018 #1

Why? We don't need cap space and we will never retain in in a deal

a62a93f93010826d4e3a662fe93e68677cc9c4eefa491f0bd4910b6801792f08.jpg

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
This is true, but he also only comes with a 3 year commitment and makes 2 mill less than what Shattenkirk is going to get.

Tanev hasn't made it through a season with out getting hurt in seemingly forever now so there is risk there (plus he will cost assets as you stated), but his style of D is what we need more so than Shattenkirk.

As it stands right now, I don't see the reason to add either of them. Until we replace Derek Stepan, there is no reason to spend huge dollars on anyone, with the exception of something crazy happening.

But that's not the Rangers franchise. I'm sure they will add at least 1 center and an RD. It might be Shatty, it might be Smith, it might be another direction. Besides with a probable lockout and compliance buyout period in 4 years, the Rangers may view a Shattenkirk deal as a 4 year commitment. The only thing that would surprise me is an RD of Deangelo, Holden, Berzgalov/Pionk dressing on opening night barring injury.

Besides, if the team is "rebuilding on the fly", that means it isn't trading young assets. So in all likelihood the current holes will mostly be filled in free agency.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
But that's not the Rangers franchise. I'm sure they will add at least 1 center and an RD. It might be Shatty, it might be Smith, it might be another direction. Besides with a probable lockout and compliance buyout period in 4 years, the Rangers may view a Shattenkirk deal as a 4 year commitment. The only thing that would surprise me is an RD of Deangelo, Holden, Berzgalov/Pionk dressing on opening night barring injury.

Surprise or scare? That would be awful for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad