Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXX: Viva Las Vegas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Shea Theodore was a late #1. Draft picks matter. Anaheim was able to "protect" Manson and Vatanen plus dump the Stoner contract for Theodore. They still have the Swedish kid Larsson. Another late #1.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Vegas got a great prospect in Theo. As a T-birds fan, I have followed him ever since he left and he is definitely a player Vegas can build around

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Chuck Kaiton, play by play announcer for the Hurricanes, was on NHL radio earlier. He mentioned a comment that Bill Peters made in the post season press conference:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article144196499.html

The Canes have 11 picks in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft, including seven in the first three rounds. Peters, with a smile, said he hoped the Canes wouldn’t use but three of the seven – that is, that Francis use some assets to make trades.

Kaiton also mentioned how the Canes desperately need a 1st line center. We can debate all day whether or not Stepan fits the bill, but other than Duchene, Stepan is the best center available.

They might be more inclined to deal with Colorado than a division rival, but there really isn't much of a rivalry between the teams, despite being in the same division, and we've made trades with them in the past.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Chuck Kaiton, play by play announcer for the Hurricanes, was on NHL radio earlier. He mentioned a comment that Bill Peters made in the post season press conference:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article144196499.html

Kaiton also mentioned how the Canes desperately need a 1st line center. We can debate all day whether or not Stepan fits the bill, but other than Duchene, Stepan is the best center available.

They might be more inclined to deal with Colorado than a division rival, but there really isn't much of a rivalry between the teams, despite being in the same division, and we've made trades with them in the past.

Think Carolina has the young D that Colorado covets

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Has anyone posted Adrian Dater's tweet? He said the new Arizona owner wants to fire Tippett, if true this would throw a wrench into the Stepan to Arizona idea imo

It would not, Stepan is an analytics gem and Chayka is likely to have a large influence in obtaining him. The only difference Tippet would possibly make versus the rest of the FO is Stepan's age. Tippet may want him because the team winning sooner than later benefits his longevity as coach. Maybe the guys above him are starting to feel that pressure as well, but if not they're probably still in a long-term mentality which Stepan, while not ancient by any means, wouldn't be worth giving up 1st rounders and good young prospects for.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I already can't wait to get out of work today to come home and watch the awards for the expansion draft. Tomorrow should be good too.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
Still holding out hope they take Raanta over Lindberg.

Raanta is more likely to me. It's a rare case of Lindberg being more valuable to the Rangers, and Raanta being more valuable to VGK.

There are a lot of young C's exposed in the draft who can fill a 3rd line center role.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
There is already a wrench in many of your plans because the chances of it actually happening were slim to none to begin with.

Many of my plans? When did I plan anything? And you have sources that say it's slim to none Stepan is traded? Because the big name insiders have all said Stepan's name is out there. Or is Russia colluding with Bobby Mac too?:sarcasm:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Hossa :(

Next stop: Hall of Fame. What a career that guy had :handclap:

Annoying that the Blackhawks are gonna get out of this with some LTIR relief rather than the retirement recapture, but, what can ya do.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The timing and backstory of that announcement seems a little fishy :laugh:

I mean, I don't doubt the validity. And, I can't imagine that playing through whatever pain he is playing through, plus any potential side-effects from the meds he has to take, are "worth it" for him to play for "only" $1 million.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Has anyone posted Adrian Dater's tweet? He said the new Arizona owner wants to fire Tippett, if true this would throw a wrench into the Stepan to Arizona idea imo

Dater is about as reliable as Eklund at this point, but even if it did happen, it probably wouldn't change much. Listen to Chayka's conference call after the Smith trade. He said he wants to add a center to insulate the kids and help bring them along. He also wants to add some right-handed shots. They have to get over the cap, and they're not an attractive destination for quality UFAs. Stepan still makes a boatload of sense.

I think Carolina and Arizona are both after Stepan. Who is the alternative? Duchene? He only has 2 years left before he's a group III. Why would he sign long term with either organization? The Coyotes are 3 years away from even sniffing the playoffs, and there are rumors swirling around the ownership in Carolina being open to relocation. Stepan is controllable and has produced at the same rate Duchene has for the last few years.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I mean, I don't doubt the validity. And, I can't imagine that playing through whatever pain he is playing through, plus any potential side-effects from the meds he has to take, are "worth it" for him to play for "only" $1 million.

And that is exactly why people are upset. Hossa "retires" the moment his salary drops to 1m. The NHL won't do anything about it because the contract was signed under the old CBA, but if it was up to me, I'd do this:

His cap-hit would be $7,412,500 based on the money he hsa made so far.

That's a cap-circumvention of $2,137,500 a year. Add that up, divide it by the years remaining and give Chicago a cap penalty of $4,275,000 for 4 years, if he retires now.

As I said, it won't happen but GMs should face some kind of consequence for making deals like this. And yes, I would say the same thing if this was about the Rangers. I have nothing against Chicago.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
And that is exactly why people are upset. Hossa "retires" the moment his salary drops to 1m. The NHL won't do anything about it because the contract was signed under the old CBA, but if it was up to me, I'd do this:

His cap-hit would be $7,412,500 based on the money he hsa made so far.

That's a cap-circumvention of $2,137,500 a year. Add that up, divide it by the years remaining and give Chicago a cap penalty of $4,275,000 for 4 years, if he retires now.

As I said, it won't happen but GMs should face some kind of consequence for making deals like this. And yes, I would say the same thing if this was about the Rangers. I have nothing against Chicago.

If he actually retires, they will be penalized. If he goes on LTIR, it's a different story. They'll still have the full cap hit, but they'll be able to exceed the cap, and Hossa gets 1 mil a year for the next 4 years to do nothing. Of course, if he decides to play in Europe, that will obviously change things. I don't think the NHL would sit on their hands in that situation.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
If Vegas take Lindberg it paints the Rangers into a corner with any potential Stepan deal in that they almost have to take a young top 6 potential center back.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I am telling you fellas. I really thought McP would take Lind or Fast over a 28 year old backup but I guess it sounds like Raants is a goner.

Raanta is a backup only in the sense that he has backed up Hank the last 2 years. He is good enough to be a starter in this league and he has value to Vegas as a player or as a trade chip.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
If he actually retires, they will be penalized. If he goes on LTIR, it's a different story. They'll still have the full cap hit, but they'll be able to exceed the cap, and Hossa gets 1 mil a year for the next 4 years to do nothing. Of course, if he decides to play in Europe, that will obviously change things. I don't think the NHL would sit on their hands in that situation.

It's probably going to be LTIR. GM's won't be happy, but the precedent is already out there (Pronger, Horton, Lupul...)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Well, they can always trade him to Arizona if he is going to be on LTIR for 4 years. That is a great deal for the Coyotes-franchise to reach the cap floor.

And he can join other Coyotes legends Pavel Datsyuk, Chris Pronger and David Bolland

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
List of players that could take over Lindberg's 4C duties without the Rangers missing a beat:

Nieves (seriously)
B. Boyle
Johnny Malkin
Gagner
Desharnais

Losing Lindberg is a blip on the radar. Same with Fast. Same with Raanta. Same with Grabner.

Rangers so nice for expansion this was probably such a nice, stress free week for GMJG. Just casually fielding calls on Stepan and repeatedly being like: "Nah, more, I don't have to deal him".

Must be nice.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'd be very very relieved to keep Fast and Lindberg. Raanta is a very good backup but we've had a lot of those over the years and we should theoretically only need a stop gap for 1 or 2 years max with how the Russian is coming along.

Despite the concept that bottom 6 energy players should be easy to find, we've had difficulty with them until recently and Fast and Lindberg are both excellent in their roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad