Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXX: Viva Las Vegas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Here's a thought:

The best goalies available are who?
Fleury
Mrazek
Ward
Raanta
Grubauer

Assuming Vegas wants to trade a couple of guys and keep 2 this year, would you take Mrazek AND Fleury? Is there a team out there who would currently trade for either of those guys? I don't think so.

Now would teams trade for Grubauer or Raanta? I think that's far more likely. Who is more valuable from the Rangers Lindberg or Raanta? Raanta he can trade almost right away because of his salary. Lindberg may be more of a longer term asset but does McPhee want that considering all of the other forwards he will have available?

I was looking at the expansion simulator and I'm not sure Lindberg is the guy for them. There are other forwards from other teams will little to offer who can fill those bottom-6 roles. And if that's the case and the asset was to be traded from the Rangers, wouldn't Raanta be the smarter choice?

Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I see Lindberg being taken as a fairly obvious choice. He looked really good and healthy in the playoffs. Young and cost controlled. Good locker room guy and unlikely to get in trouble in Vegas. Can grind it out, but has upside. Also, being a real Center has a lot of value to Vegas. How many real Centers are available for them? Young ones?

There's better goalies, better defensemen, and Lindberg just checks more boxes than Fast.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If the objective of LVGK is to begin their franchise in rebuild mode rather than try to build a patchwork playoff roster, then I'd expect their picks to be primarily motivated by youth and potential trade value.

If indeed they aim on taking albatross contracts and lesser selections to gain a horde of draft picks, then I'd be very surprised if they pick veteran guys (unless they then plan to pawn them off to other teams ala Dagoon's report on James Neal)

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Here's a thought:

Fleury
Mrazek
Ward
Raanta
Grubauer

Assuming Vegas wants to trade a couple of guys and keep 2 this year, would you take Mrazek AND Fleury? Is there a team out there who would currently trade for either of those guys? I don't think so.

Now would teams trade for Grubauer or Raanta? I think that's far more likely. Who is more valuable from the Rangers Lindberg or Raanta? Raanta he can trade almost right away because of his salary. Lindberg may be more of a longer term asset but does McPhee want that considering all of the other forwards he will have available?

I was looking at the expansion simulator and I'm not sure Lindberg is the guy for them. There are other forwards from other teams will little to offer who can fill those bottom-6 roles. And if that's the case and the asset was to be traded from the Rangers, wouldn't Raanta be the smarter choice?

Mrazek and Fleury will be the starting tandem for Vegas. Not only are they good goalies, they also help them get to the cap floor.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I see Lindberg being taken as a fairly obvious choice. He looked really good and healthy in the playoffs. Young and cost controlled. Good locker room guy and unlikely to get in trouble in Vegas. Can grind it out, but has upside. Also, being a real Center has a lot of value to Vegas. How many real Centers are available for them? Young ones?

There's better goalies, better defensemen, and Lindberg just checks more boxes than Fast.

Unfortunately, yes

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If the objective of LVGK is to begin their franchise in rebuild mode rather than try to build a patchwork playoff roster, then I'd expect their picks to be primarily motivated by youth and potential trade value.

If indeed they aim on taking albatross contracts and lesser selections to gain a horde of draft picks, then I'd be very surprised if they pick veteran guys (unless they then plan to pawn them off to other teams ala Dagoon's report on James Neal)

If I were McPhee I'd take as many of the guys who I think would return nice assets at the deadline. Neal. Plekanec. Ward. Guys who playoff teams will want.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Mrazek and Fleury will be the starting tandem for Vegas. Not only are they good goalies, they also help them get to the cap floor.

I could be wrong but when I was using the simulator the other day I didn't have any issue reaching the floor. Especially if they are paid to take a short term bad contract or two.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
Here's a thought:

Fleury
Mrazek
Ward
Raanta
Grubauer

I tend to agree. Finding other centers for Vegas that can play a 3rd or 4th line C role doesn't seem to be an issue (such as weal, Karlsson, dano, Krueger, shinkaruk).

Unless they see lindberg as a potential 2nd line center, I think they pick Raanta.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Just wanted to say, all this trade action around the NBA draft has made me sad for hockey. Why are NHL GMs such p**** when it comes to making deals? Roll the dice already. Duchene and Mackinnon would've been traded last year if this were basketball, damn it.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Just wanted to say, all this trade action around the NBA draft has made me sad for hockey. Why are NHL GMs such p**** when it comes to making deals? Roll the dice already. Duchene and Mackinnon would've been traded last year if this were basketball, damn it.

I mean we already know of 6 trades that are ready to go once the expansion draft happens, and I'm sure there will be more once teams figure out who Vegas took. I think this next week could get crazy.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida

theres not player option contracts where they can opt out and take less all the time. plus their salary cap is basically way too high to promote parity or competitive basketball

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Basketball and Hockey are two different sports in terms of player management and contracts. Not even close to comparable. Nor is the draft comparable or the Affiliate leagues to the Pro league. NBA teams can compete with just 3 solid players and supporting cast of 3-4 additional players that are decent, therefore NBA teams move players, especially backend players or guys they dont feel will fall into their go-to top 3.

Not comparable

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
If I were McPhee I'd take as many of the guys who I think would return nice assets at the deadline. Neal. Plekanec. Ward. Guys who playoff teams will want.

This, and he can then trade guys w large contracts w retention to help reach the floor if he chooses to.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

In the NBA it is much more obvious who has zero shot and should sell. The NHL is built around parity, which makes it tougher to make deals.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Only bit of relevant info is that Gorton's asking price for both Raanta and Stepan is high enough that nothing happened pre-freeze.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I mean we already know of 6 trades that are ready to go once the expansion draft happens, and I'm sure there will be more once teams figure out who Vegas took. I think this next week could get crazy.

What deals are out there?

I assume you're talking about Anaheim, Islanders, Columbus(?), can't remember the others

e: nevermind, just read Freidmans piece

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Only bit of relevant info is that Gorton's asking price for both Raanta and Stepan is high enough that nothing happened pre-freeze.

Really only mentions that their asking price for Raanta is high, but I'd expect that hte price for Stepan would be pretty high as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad