Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXX: Viva Las Vegas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
It's going to take forever hearing the picks tomorrow and I am going to hate it.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers had a high price on Raanta because they probably don't want to lose Fast or Lindberg. If the Rangers traded Raanta,it would increase the chances of Las Vegas taking Fast or Lindberg. Every mock expansion draft has Vegas taking Raanta. The Rangers can only lose one player. George McPhee could take Raanta and trade him for a draft pick. (2nd/3rd). There are so many goaltenders available which drops the price. Carolina and Dallas made their moves early. Arizona is looking for a starting goaltender. Is Raanta that guy? Calgary got Mike Smith. Winnipeg is looking for a goaltender to split the time with their #1. Elliotte Friedman said team covet/like Raanta but they think he is too small. It was about a month ago. Chris Nichols had it on his twitter feed. The Rangers acquired Raanta for Ryan Haggerty.

All of these teams made trades with Vegas to protect certain players. Bob McKenzie said there will be at least eight trades made by Vegas.

This stuff is over tonight. Move on to better stuff.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
The Rangers had a high price on Raanta because they probably don't want to lose Fast or Lindberg. If the Rangers traded Raanta,it would increase the chances of Las Vegas taking Fast or Lindberg. Every mock expansion draft has Vegas taking Raanta. The Rangers can only lose one player. George McPhee could take Raanta and trade him for a draft pick. (2nd/3rd). There are so many goaltenders available which drops the price. Carolina and Dallas made their moves early. Arizona is looking for a starting goaltender. Is Raanta that guy? Calgary got Mike Smith. Winnipeg is looking for a goaltender to split the time with their #1. Elliotte Friedman said team covet/like Raanta but they think he is too small. It was about a month ago. Chris Nichols had it on his twitter feed. The Rangers acquired Raanta for Ryan Haggerty.

All of these teams made trades with Vegas to protect certain players. Bob McKenzie said there will be at least eight trades made by Vegas.

Are all those moves with a team trying to protect their player? Or a combination of that and trades with teams wanting an exposed player from another?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Some interesting stuff from Bobby Mac this morning: it's not set in stone, but Vegas may be taking Clayton Stoner instead of Manson/Vatanen with the Ducks sending them Shea Theodore. Also, Minny may be sending Haula (soon to be signed) to Vegas to not take Scandella/Dumba. Interesting stuff is gonna happen today.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Are all those moves with a team trying to protect their player? Or a combination of that and trades with teams wanting an exposed player from another?

It looks like they are all about getting Vegas to select certain players from their teams and not other players. Anaheim is supposedly sending Theodore to Vegas so they won't take Manson or Vatanen. Minnesota is sending Haula to Vegas so they won't pick Dumba or Scandella. Read McKenzie's twitter for more details:

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
One of the MacKenzie nuggets was a condition of making a reality Vegas was that you couldn't make another deal that hurt them pre expansion. I assume that means you couldn't take on a guy like methot or dumba. You couldn't bail out another team. Could explain the crickets leading up to the freeze.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
It looks like they are all about getting Vegas to select certain players from their teams and not other players. Anaheim is supposedly sending Theodore to Vegas so they won't take Manson or Vatanen. Minnesota is sending Haula to Vegas so they won't pick Dumba or Scandella. Read McKenzie's twitter for more details:

These guys are case studies for loss aversion. Afraid to trade guys away, afraid to expose players, afraid to let a free agent walk. It trumps the gains thst are possible. That's why poile seems so unique. Bowman and Lombardi also weren't afraid to make moves. Sure they make mistakes but they get results.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA

IMO that would be incredibly stupid of the Ducks to move Theodore to protect Vatanan, unless it was a "give us Theodore or will take Manson" and Vatanan never even came up.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
The ducks are trying to keep their team intact. They could be in the finals. Gms look at this differently than protect board fans. Staal still has value in the league. Manson and vataanen are more valuable than Theodore to a team with aspirations. Agree or don't, but they aren't dumber than thousands of posters.

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
Is there someone here who knows at what time the freeze lifts on Thursday? I've tried to look it up myself but I haven't found anything..

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
The ducks are trying to keep their team intact. They could be in the finals. Gms look at this differently than protect board fans. Staal still has value in the league. Manson and vataanen are more valuable than Theodore to a team with aspirations. Agree or don't, but they aren't dumber than thousands of posters.

Sorry i do disagree. Theodore played almost half the season with the Ducks and just about all their playoff games (9pts in 14 games).

He's cost controlled and ready to make an impact this coming season. For a team that has cap problems I easily am OK with letting Vatanan go.

I think the more likely scenario is LV said give us Theodore or we're taking Mason and Vatanan never came up in the discussion.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I guess it won't be the worst thing if we lose Lindberg tonight. We can ship Raanta for a pick and hopefully draft a Lindberg-esque replacement player or sign a veteran stop gap until someone like Nieves can get healthy. I see Gabriel Fontaine being our long-term 4C anyways in the new few years

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I wonder if the Rangers are one of them? But who would they want to make sure is not taken. Think they can survive with losing one of Raanta, Grabner, or Lindberg. Right now Tampa is looking to move Garrison, that is the rumors since shedding salary was mentioned and he was not protected. They will have more cap than they will know what to do with if this happens. I don't see the Rangers making a deal and don't have those set of players they really need to protect that are currently unprotected. But we shall see. I bring up Tampa because think they are looking to go after Shattenkirk also. Will have a lot of cap now to do it. But if he has his heart set in NY, then should not be hard to land him, just hope its not a crazy amount.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I wonder if the Rangers are one of them? But who would they want to make sure is not taken. Think they can survive with losing one of Raanta, Grabner, or Lindberg. Right now Tampa is looking to move Garrison, that is the rumors since shedding salary was mentioned and he was not protected. They will have more cap than they will know what to do with if this happens. So I don't see the Rangers making a deal and don't have those set of players they really need to protect that are currently unprotected. But we shall see.

All indications are we haven't made a deal. We didn't have the nightmare situation some other teams had. It'll suck losing one of those 4 players, but the cost to steer them towards puemple would probably outweigh the player we lose instead.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Has anyone posted Adrian Dater's tweet? He said the new Arizona owner wants to fire Tippett, if true this would throw a wrench into the Stepan to Arizona idea imo

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
All indications are we haven't made a deal. We didn't have the nightmare situation some other teams had. It'll suck losing one of those 4 players, but the cost to steer them towards puemple would probably outweigh the player we lose instead.

Agreed. Fast, Lindberg, Grabner or even Raanta aren't worth a 2nd to protect. If they aren't picked, great. But I rather lose a bottom-6 winger or backup goalie than a 2nd rounder or higher.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Has anyone posted Adrian Dater's tweet? He said the new Arizona owner wants to fire Tippett, if true this would throw a wrench into the Stepan to Arizona idea imo

There is already a wrench in many of your plans because the chances of it actually happening were slim to none to begin with.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Agreed. Fast, Lindberg, Grabner or even Raanta aren't worth a 2nd to protect. If they aren't picked, great. But I rather lose a bottom-6 winger or backup goalie than a 2nd rounder or higher.
Exactly. The Cost to protect is pretty high even for bottom 6 players. We lucked out in terms of this expansion draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad