Roster and Fantasy GM Thread: Pre-Draft Silly Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Not so concerned about the future of the forward group with Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Lind, potentially adding to Horvat and Boeser.

But what about that defense…

In two years (i.e. starting 20/21 season):
  • I expect that Tanev will still be here. He will be 30 years old at the start of the season.
  • Del Zotto, Edler and Biega will likely all be gone.
  • If the aim is to have a highly competitive team, Gudbranson will be in a 7/8 role.
  • Again, with the focus on being a highly competitive team, I believe it’s fair to assume that only one of Pouliot, Hutton, Stecher will be contributing. For argument sake let’s say it’s Stecher.

So, how do they fill out the other spots, again, to be a competitive team. Assuming Juolevi ends up being a top 4 D-man and Brisebois is mostly an AHLer you have:

XXXX – Tanev
Juolevi-XXXX
XXXX-Stecher
Gudbranson
Biega clone

One of Dahlin, Bouchard, or Boqvist could come this draft. But my sense is they will still need to find two more top 6 D-men, one of which will have to be a top-4.

Even without trading Tanev or Hutton it's doable to transform our D depth in one year

1st rounder this year - Dahlin, Dobson, Boqvist, Hughes or Bouchard (can even trade down from 2 or 3)
Tryamkin or trade proceeds - Tryamkin
2nd rounder this year - Woo or MacIsaac
3rd rounder this year - Durzi
College free agent...two of...Brickley, Hutton, Keeper, Rauhauser, Rafferty, Schueneman, Gross, Schuldt,
Trade proceeds from surplus middling forwards - Rasmus Andersson (Baertschi + Granlund) and McKeown (Goldobin)

Just to make a point we could add these kind of assets....

Boqvist (rd)
MacIsaac (ld)
Andersson (rd)
Brickley (ld)
McKeown (rd)
Durzi (rd)
Keeper (rd)

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Even without trading Tanev or Hutton it's doable to transform our D depth in one year

1st rounder this year - Dahlin, Dobson, Boqvist, Hughes or Bouchard (can even trade down from 2 or 3)
Tryamkin or trade proceeds - Tryamkin
2nd rounder this year - Woo or MacIsaac
3rd rounder this year - Durzi
College free agent...two of...Brickley, Hutton, Keeper, Rauhauser, Rafferty, Schueneman, Gross, Schuldt,
Trade proceeds from surplus middling forwards - Rasmus Andersson (Baertschi + Granlund) and McKeown (Goldobin)

Just to make a point we could add these kind of assets....

Boqvist (rd)
MacIsaac (ld)
Andersson (rd)
Brickley (ld)
McKeown (rd)
Durzi (rd)
Keeper (rd)
Sure. But it takes intention. And it's more about adding quality than quantity. If, for example, Tryamkin returned and Bouchard turned into a player you'd have

XXXX – Tanev
Juolevi-Bouchard
Tryamkin-Stecher
Gudbranson
Biega clone

That looks ok. But add a top end pp qb/minute eating defensman and it looks a whole lot better...

For example,

Hedman – Bouchard
Juolevi-Tanev
Tryamkin-Stecher
Gudbranson
Biega

Added Hedman just to make the point. Adding one top end D-man makes a world of difference.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Not so concerned about the future of the forward group with Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Lind, potentially adding to Horvat and Boeser.

• I expect that Tanev will still be here. He will be 30 years old at the start of the season.
  • If the aim is to have a highly competitive team, Gudbranson will be in a 7/8 role.
  • Again, with the focus on being a highly competitive team, I believe it’s fair to assume that only one of Pouliot, Hutton, Stecher will be contributing. For argument sake let’s say it’s Stecher.

So, how do they fill out the other spots, again, to be a competitive team. Assuming Juolevi ends up being a top 4 D-man and Brisebois is mostly an AHLer you have:

XXXX – Tanev
Juolevi-XXXX
XXXX-Stecher
Gudbranson
Biega clone

One of Dahlin, Bouchard, or Boqvist could come this draft. But my sense is they will still need to find two more top 6 D-men, one of which will have to be a top-4.

If Edler is still effective, we should look into keeping him. If we end up with Svechnikov or Zadina in this draft, by 2020 we'll also likely have to make a trade for a top-4 defenseman involving our 1st and 2nd round picks (ala Dougie Hamilton trade). I guess that's how we get the two top-4 defensemen that you're looking for

But yeah, some dominoes would have to fall in place for this defense group is just be above average in 2020. Hopefully, Demko can hold down the fort and the offense can do its thing.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
If Edler is still effective, we should look into keeping him. If we end up with Svechnikov or Zadina in this draft, by 2020 we'll also likely have to make a trade for a top-4 defenseman involving our 1st and 2nd round picks (ala Dougie Hamilton trade). I guess that's how we get the two top-4 defensemen that you're looking for

But yeah, some dominoes would have to fall in place for this defense group is just be above average in 2020. Hopefully, Demko can hold down the fort and the offense can do its thing.
I would not be unhappy with Zadina. Part of me is still a little freaked out about taking a Russian.
But I would not, under any reasonable circumstances, trade the 1st and 2nd round picks for at least another 3 years. Prospects are going to fail. And the team needs to continue to build up the pool.
They need a minute eating #1. Edler, while servicable, is not that. That comes through the draft. Maybe one of Boqvist, Bouchard etc. can be that. But continuing to draft D-men until one pans out is what I would be doing.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

XXXX – Tanev
Juolevi-XXXX
XXXX-Stecher
Gudbranson
Biega clone

I think Edler gets extended this summer, and even if you hate him Gudbranson as a 3rd pairing guy is fine.

Getting a blue-chip, offensive defenceman who can QB the PP and play in the top 4 is the missing piece on this blueline and then everyone else slots down a bit more appropriately.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I think Edler gets extended this summer, and even if you hate him Gudbranson as a 3rd pairing guy is fine.

Getting a blue-chip, offensive defenceman who can QB the PP and play in the top 4 is the missing piece on this blueline and then everyone else slots down a bit more appropriately.
Exactly this. Adding at the top end shifts others down into more appropriate spots.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Sure. But it takes intention. And it's more about adding quality than quantity. If, for example, Tryamkin returned and Bouchard turned into a player you'd have

XXXX – Tanev
Juolevi-Bouchard
Tryamkin-Stecher
Gudbranson
Biega clone

That looks ok. But add a top end pp qb/minute eating defensman and it looks a whole lot better...

For example,

Hedman – Bouchard
Juolevi-Tanev
Tryamkin-Stecher
Gudbranson
Biega

Added Hedman just to make the point. Adding one top end D-man makes a world of difference.
I could live with that.I think Tanev should be put on the second unit, or trade him.he gets hurt to much playing on the first.This team is so in need of a #1 ,,i can see if the twins do not return,,the Canucks offering somthing around Tanev in a package for Karlsson.Then we have another Swede to mentor Pettersson.Just a thought..

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I could live with that.I think Tanev should be put on the second unit, or trade him.he gets hurt to much playing on the first.This team is so in need of a #1 ,,i can see if the twins do not return,,the Canucks offering somthing around Tanev in a package for Karlsson.Then we have another Swede to mentor Pettersson.Just a thought..
I suspect the twins would take $2M each if it meant the money could be used to bring in Karlsson. But, alas, I think Karlsson would costs some important young assets in addition to Tanev if that was going to happen.

Reactions: MAGICMAN1963

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Just looking at our log jam of mediocrity for next year and two things pop out at me.

1. What their plan is for Pettersson. There's no doubt in my mind he'll be an effective winger right away but with no Sedin+Boeser playing RW with Horvat his C options are essentially Sutter Gagner Gaunce or Gaudette. It's either this or stick him at C and let him play through the growing pains.

2. So much junk tied up in the bottom 6. Can't believe Gagner is here 2 more years, they should be looking to ditch him and Del Zotto for anything.

Option A would be Sedins retire which would put Pettersson in at C. Hate to say it it but spend big money on Kane to play beside him. If we didn't have such a log jam of wingers I'd try to sign another complimentary piece in Komarov or Maroon, lots of depth on D available as well.

Baertschi/Horvat/Boeser
Kane/Pettersson/Eriksson
Leipsic/Goldobin/Gagner/Virtanen
Gaunce/Sutter/Motte/Archibald

Option B would be the Sedins come back another year so their linemate can rotate since it'll be creampuff minutes either way.

The blue line is another story.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
it would be good to find an article explaining the boeser bonus thing. i "believe" the issue is that ltir salary relief does not relieve against bonuses, so any team that uses ltir cap relief for injuries to a player with no bonuses has to carry over bonuses that accrue afterwards because both the ltir player salary and any salary to replace that injured player still counts for cap purposes when determining available cap space to use for bonuses.

or something.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Just looking at our log jam of mediocrity for next year and two things pop out at me.

1. What their plan is for Pettersson. There's no doubt in my mind he'll be an effective winger right away but with no Sedin+Boeser playing RW with Horvat his C options are essentially Sutter Gagner Gaunce or Gaudette. It's either this or stick him at C and let him play through the growing pains.

2. So much junk tied up in the bottom 6. Can't believe Gagner is here 2 more years, they should be looking to ditch him and Del Zotto for anything.

Option A would be Sedins retire which would put Pettersson in at C. Hate to say it it but spend big money on Kane to play beside him. If we didn't have such a log jam of wingers I'd try to sign another complimentary piece in Komarov or Maroon, lots of depth on D available as well.

Baertschi/Horvat/Boeser
Kane/Pettersson/Eriksson

Option B would be the Sedins come back another year so their linemate can rotate since it'll be creampuff minutes either way.

Best option is just to bring back the Sedins. That would virtually eliminate any possibility that Benning gives a boatload of money and term to Kane. If there's one thing that would set this franchise back several years, it's signing Kane. This team isn't looking to contend next season, and should not be making moves acting as if they are.

Reactions: Ryp37

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta

Baertschi/Horvat/Boeser
Kane/Pettersson/Eriksson

With Eriksson,Ganger,Sutter still holding onto big contracts with this team.We will still suck.And Bennings delusional statement saying our defence is a position of strength has me believing that this Gm still is walking around with a few missing marbles.

Reactions: Ryp37

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Baertschi/Horvat/Boeser
Kane/Pettersson/Eriksson

My gut feel is that they are just going to stick Pettersson at c

Epimetheus

Jun 2, 2011
My gut feel is that they are just going to stick Pettersson at c
Hopefully,they'll avoid that experiment at least in his first year.Petersson will have his share of problems adjusting to the NHL and it would be much easier if goes through that process playing on the wing.
The problem is,we only have one TOP6 center in BO.I don't like the fit with Sedins,won't even comment Gagner or Sutter.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Hopefully,they'll avoid that experiment at least in his first year.Petersson will have his share of problems adjusting to the NHL and it would be much easier if goes through that process playing on the wing.
The problem is,we only have one TOP6 center in BO.I don't like the fit with Sedins,won't even comment Gagner or Sutter.

Leipsic might be a good fit with the Sedins. He does a lot of the same things that Burrows did. Then we can put Pettersson in with Horvat and Boeser.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia

Baertschi/Horvat/Boeser
Kane/Pettersson/Eriksson

Or we could make the crazy offer to JT- use theSedin's 14M coming off the books and give it straight to JT: 14M/ 8 years- not like he'd ever want to sign in this nightmare but one can dream. And while I'm dreaming, we land Dahlin:

EP-JT-Brock
Leipsic-Bo-Jake
Baer-Sutter-Louie
4th line any combo of Goldobin, Gagner, Granlund, Motte, Gaunce (realistically moving Gagner and one of Hutton or MDZ would be massive)

Edler-Stecher
Dahlin-Tanev
Hutton/MDZ/OJ-Gubdrandson
Pouliot and Biega as 7/8

Last edited:

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
The only way that line could survive is with 100% of OZone starts.Defensively,one of the worst lines in NHL.

With or without Leipsic, a line with both Sedins is bound to be one of the worst lines in the league defensively. Leipsic might at least be a good fit offensively.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
In today's NHL how much more valuable is a .930 goalie compared to a .915 goalie? Wouldn't spending that money on forward and D depth be arguably more efficient than stopping an extra goal every few games? Would you rather a 7m 930-935 goalie or a 2-2.5m 915 goalie? an extra 4.5-5m spent on a top 4 D could make a pretty significant impact, and maybe even a more significant impact in the GA category than the better goalie would.

Every single year there is a goaltender that nobody has ever heard of that plays out of his mind in the playoffs. This isn't the era of elite goaltenders and .900 goaltenders, parity is so high for goaltending that I think the elite goaltenders have a real hard time standing out from the pack.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Best option is just to bring back the Sedins. That would virtually eliminate any possibility that Benning gives a boatload of money and term to Kane. If there's one thing that would set this franchise back several years, it's signing Kane. This team isn't looking to contend next season, and should not be making moves acting as if they are.

Kane will be re-signed before free agency, almost for sure. I doubt he'd play in Vancouver, anyway.

If Canucks have cap space, they need a specific guy on defense and a top six center. That will eat up any cap space vacated by the Sedins. It's unlikely that they can get those guys without overpaying in free agency. If they strike out in FA, go ahead and sign the Sedins. At least check it out, first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille