Roster and Fantasy GM Thread: Pre-Draft Silly Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Stupidly gave the 2nd away in another deal a couple weeks later so this means nothing.

Awful trade.

Win-Win trade. Calgary wouldn't undo it right now.

Prospect for fungible bottom-6 forward. Woo?

Crap value, worked out OK when Lack had all kinds of concussion problems.

Great trade that was apparently laid in his lap by Ottawa.

If we undid every single one of those trades - his best trades - it would not really change much in terms of the overall state of our franchise.

That's pretty telling.

Literally undoing Benning's top five trades would collectively result in meh.

Shattered Dreams

Sep 30, 2017
It's a shame that the Canucks were never able to acquire a quality puck moving top 4 RHD (Tyson Barrie, Kevin Shattenkirk, Sami Vatanen etc) when you have a player like Chris Tanev eating up some of the hardest deployment in the league, this type of player would be in an absolutely perfect position to recieve favorable deployment and an abundance of power play time. With the amount of picks/prospects thrown away in trades, the Canucks could have put together a quality package for this type of player. In the summer of 2016 I stressed that this was clearly the type of player the Canucks should be going after, instead they put together a package for Erik Gudbranson...

Theodore or Vatanen could have been targeted in the Kesler deal too, Bonino was Anaheim's 3rd leading scorer on an excellent contract so they easily could have gotten one of those defenders over him. Jim Benning is midway through his 4th season here and has yet to bring in a top 4 NHL defender.

Just look at the numbers of the defenders he's brought in this season, they're disgustingly bad.
I think Theodore was the only realistic D target. I would take Sbisa or some other plug as a cap dump and then try to flip him/buy them out. As for centres, Benning (if he was smart) could have argued that Bonino's totals were inflated since he got 20 of his points from the top power play unit with Perry and Getz.

Too bad we have a dumb GM that was initially afraid to ask for a 3rd round pick. Things didn't start well for that trade and progressively got worse as the Sutter, Gudbranson trades happened. But, great GM. I want whatever drug taken by the apologists so I can not care about reality anymore. Must be nice to have delusions like these.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
There was an article at the time saying the following assets were on the table for Bob Murray to acquire a top-6 centre: Rakell, Theodore, 10th, 24th. But Benning, being the absolute genius that he is decided he wanted to fill his "age gap" and "compete now" instead of taking pure good prospects and picks package and being FAR FAR FAR better off 2-3 years later.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
If we undid every single one of those trades - his best trades - it would not really change much in terms of the overall state of our franchise.

That's pretty telling.

Literally undoing Benning's top five trades would collectively result in meh.
As would changing his 5 worst trades. This team was trending down fast with few assets and one prospect.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
As would changing his 5 worst trades. This team was trending down fast with few assets and one prospect.
This is a team that traded Ryan Kesler. Gustav Forsling and 2 second round picks (one of which was 33rd overall) for Luca Sbisa, Erik Gudbranson and Brandon Sutter.. You can't be serious, that's one of the worst net transactions I've seen in the past ~5 years.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I didn't think anyone would want the sedins with how they finished last season and started this one.

With their play in the last 20 games I honestly think there will be a market for them if they are willing to move this spring. I'd sure hope they have that fire still in them. On pace for 50 plus points each. There are teams that will be able to take them on with retention to one.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Really curious how we seem to get our hands on better prospects when we're drafting in the top 3 of most rounds of the draft. Yet still manage to bleed picks and lose out on quality players, and completely mismanaged two Top-6 gimmes.

Reactions: Canadian Club

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
There was an article at the time saying the following assets were on the table for Bob Murray to acquire a top-6 centre: Rakell, Theodore, 10th, 24th. But Benning, being the absolute genius that he is decided he wanted to fill his "age gap" and "compete now" instead of taking pure good prospects and picks package and being FAR FAR FAR better off 2-3 years later.
Oh god stop, my spleen is gonna rupture. He needed to load up on prospects and picks and he just botched it.

Alright, this team needs to collected some first and second round picks from equally... Primal GMs. Dorion, Bergevin, Chiarelli, Sakic, and Tallon are the first that come to mind. As mentioned by others, Dorion would probably love to bring in Gudbranson because Methot's gone. After that disgusting Duchene trade, what can Ottawa even offer? All of those GMs would probably like Gudbranson's good looks and intangibles or whatever. I am actually curious to see how this situation plays out

Last edited:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Snippet about Gudbranson's trade value in the provies

The Provies: Flow abides, stepping right, goalie defence and Hutton in need of a hero
Up to now, the word around the league has been the Canucks have not been thrilled at all with potential offers for 44 [Gudbranson]. And remember they agreed to a Demers-for-Guddy trade. Subsequently, Demers was moved for a 29-year-old Jamie McGinn who was coming off a 17-point season. That was not an encouraging sign.

Roster freeze is now on and lasts until Dec. 28. It means Guddy has at least a couple games still to show he’s worth more than a washed winger.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
This team needs a few puck moving d-men so bad it's not even funny. Benning has done an absolutely woeful job of putting together this defense that for this reason alone he should not be getting an extension. I'm not going to bother looking up the stats but is there another team who gets as little offense from their defense as the Canucks do??

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
This team needs a few puck moving d-men so bad it's not even funny. Benning has done an absolutely woeful job of putting together this defense that for this reason alone he should not be getting an extension. I'm not going to bother looking up the stats but is there another team who gets as little offense from their defense as the Canucks do??

Buffalo has one defender who has a goal.

What's funny though is that your post would have been equally as true in 2014 as it is in 2018.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Yes I mean the goalie who got 1/2 the price of the next goalie who was moved at the time. It's not like we took a bit less, we took less than half. That is terrible. It is even worse no that WE KNOW a team was willing to pay a top 9 draft pick for our other goalie who didn't do much for us anyway.

And you believe in Santa too, right?

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Knowing Benning the type of player I could see him acquiring is another poor contract in a Nick Bjugstad. Spin being he is big, can play C and RW, 25, produced before and can again.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I'll be a little discouraged if the Xmas freeze ends and nothing is announced. I imagine Benning will be trying to revive the season? If they do nothing, the playoff outlook is bleak. If the playoffs are out of reach, why do they need veteran players? Or, all the veteran players?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Unless we recieve good value, is rather keep our vets and do nothing as the freeze wears off.

I don't expect a sellers market yet, and I'm sure there are team's that will jump ship to early and be the outlier for trade value. Let's not be one of those teams. The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Unless we recieve good value, is rather keep our vets and do nothing as the freeze wears off.

I don't expect a sellers market yet, and I'm sure there are team's that will jump ship to early and be the outlier for trade value. Let's not be one of those teams. The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Is there any evidence that supports your argument? The best deals for both sides get done early. More GMs are aware of this and the better ones target the players they want right away.

Benning got caught with his dick in his hand with Hamhuis. That can't happen again. Vanek and Gudbranson need to be dealt before the start of February.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Is there any evidence that supports your argument? The best deals for both sides get done early. More GMs are aware of this and the better ones target the players they want right away.

Benning got caught with his dick in his hand with Hamhuis. That can't happen again. Vanek and Gudbranson need to be dealt before the start of February.
Yep

The waiting to shop players until out of the playoff picture doesn’t fly this year, they need to be working the phones in the new year

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Erik Gudbranson for Connor Carrick?

Not surprised. With only 52 games played for the Canucks, Gudbranson's value has somehow plummeted to the point where they can't move him. Interesting times for Benning. Very difficult trade for him to make.

If the Canucks are exploring options for moving Gudbranson, I wonder if sending him to Toronto for Connor Carrick would be beneficial for both teams? (or fair value). Canucks get a young RHD who is likely better than Stetcher, and had pretty reasonable Advanced Stats last year if I understand correctly.

The Leafs have some talented young LHD's that might be able to work well with Gudbranson just as Campbell/Mitchell did in Florida. The Leafs also get some more meat and depth back there.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
This is a team that traded Ryan Kesler. Gustav Forsling and 2 second round picks (one of which was 33rd overall) for Luca Sbisa, Erik Gudbranson and Brandon Sutter.. You can't be serious, that's one of the worst net transactions I've seen in the past ~5 years.
okay trade Kesler for best imaginary deal, draft those second round players with the bpa and keep Forsling. What do you have with this new lineup a very marginally improved team that is still bottom 10 with regular injuries. It seems like poster say look there is a bad move, if we did all good moves we would be good. No if Jim Benning made all good moves we would still be bad. Better yes but still bad. You cannot go 7 years adding only Tanev as a meaningful young player and expect to keep winning. The last 2 years of Nonis and Gillis pre horvat sunk this team for at least 5 years probably a lot more without luck and good management. Benning may not be the guy to turn the ship but whoever came in was not going to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad