Line Combos: Roster 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Not that wheeler hasn’t played well on the first line, but the chemistry doesn’t seem the same with him there over Svetch.

I hope either wheeler develops chemistry with PLD and KC or they go back to what worked, to keep that line scoring and being dominant.

To my eyes it was simply a better line with Svetch up front and left Wheeler to improve a lower line. Was better for the whole team imo.
I think Svech's role was a better fit on that line. Hopefully they can make it work with Wheeler yet

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Svech is better on the boards than Wheeler is. Better defensively really. Sometimes it's less about how much points and more about doing the dirty work for pld and Connor. I don't believe Wheeler has ever really been great at that. He was a play driving power forward really... and quick very quick. He's lost that speed the last 2 seasons now roughly... better suited for maybe 3rd line winger

Maybe Ves Stastny Wheeler 3rd line with Lowry 4c or Stastny Lowry Wheeler even.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
It looks to me like right now Wheeler's stick is where offense goes to die. I'm willing to give it a few more games but I really think the optimal lineup at this point is:

KFC PLD Svech
Copp Scheif Ehlers
Stas Lowry Wheeler
Harkins Nash Toninato/Vesa

Just rotate the forwards on the 4th line through each game

This keeps the Captain out there playing against the other teams best players on every shift and IMO lets us be a much more well balanced top 9 with a 4th line that will barely play but has the ability to chip in some goals.

Reactions: Mbraunm

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Svech is better on the boards than Wheeler is. Better defensively really. Sometimes it's less about how much points and more about doing the dirty work for pld and Connor. I don't believe Wheeler has ever really been great at that. He was a play driving power forward really... and quick very quick. He's lost that speed the last 2 seasons now roughly... better suited for maybe 3rd line winger

Maybe Ves Stastny Wheeler 3rd line with Lowry 4c or Stastny Lowry Wheeler even.

That is quite possible but I'm going to give Wheeler a few more games with them to see if it's just variance that is leading the decrease in production. The line is still generating a number of good looks.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
In a few more games I'd likely do

Connor Dubois Svech - they just had chemistry

Copp Scheif Ehlers - Copper can take face offs even.

Stastny Lowry Wheeler. It just... feels like it would work

Ves Nash Toninato.

I've liked ves over Harkins this year and Nash honestly I'd waive him and call up Gus. But realistically.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
for shits and giggles

copp-scheifele-ehlers
connor-dubois-wheeler
perfetti-stastny-svechnikov
tonianto-lowry-vesalainen

will never happen though. can switch wheeler and svech if needed.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
In a few more games I'd likely do

Connor Dubois Svech - they just had chemistry

Copp Scheif Ehlers - Copper can take face offs even.

Stastny Lowry Wheeler. It just... feels like it would work

Ves Nash Toninato.

I've liked ves over Harkins this year and Nash honestly I'd waive him and call up Gus. But realistically.
If I got to submit the lineup card this pretty much what I would go with.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i was all for giving wheeler a look next to PLD and Connor. PLD+KFC do most of the offensive driving for that line, even when Svech was there. They still rated well in the shot/quality chance share stats with wheeler..... but goals matter. and whether it be b/c of wheeler's inclusion or mere puck-luck, they are not going in. the whole team is cold right now though (some players for the entire year). but we saw wheeler there for a few games, hasn't worked. lets go back w/ svech please and get some mojo back.

Lowry is a top-9er. 2g in 18 gp simply is not good enough. harkins, 2gs in 18 gp - not good enough. Lowrys offense has been up and down for the past few years. last year he was up, guess this is a down one. when the top-6 is cold - which happens to teams - other lines need to help a bit, and we're getting nothing.

Nash+Ves....1 goal b/w them, they're 4th liners so low TOI but still..... Toninato 2 gs as well.

Scheifele+Wheeler 2gs between them too.....lol.

Get Stastny at 3C and run 3 scoring lines please. Perfetti on the wing and Wheeler on the other side.

connor-pld-svech
copp-scheifele-ehlers
perfetti-stastny-wheeler
gus-lowry-ves

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
i was all for giving wheeler a look next to PLD and Connor. PLD+KFC do most of the offensive driving for that line, even when Svech was there. They still rated well in the shot/quality chance share stats with wheeler..... but goals matter. and whether it be b/c of wheeler's inclusion or mere puck-luck, they are not going in. the whole team is cold right now though (some players for the entire year). but we saw wheeler there for a few games, hasn't worked. lets go back w/ svech please and get some mojo back.

Lowry is a top-9er. 2g in 18 gp simply is not good enough. harkins, 2gs in 18 gp - not good enough. Lowrys offense has been up and down for the past few years. last year he was up, guess this is a down one. when the top-6 is cold - which happens to teams - other lines need to help a bit, and we're getting nothing.

Nash+Ves....1 goal b/w them, they're 4th liners so low TOI but still..... Toninato 2 gs as well.

Scheifele+Wheeler 2gs between them too.....lol.

Get Stastny at 3C and run 3 scoring lines please. Perfetti on the wing and Wheeler on the other side.

connor-pld-svech
copp-scheifele-ehlers
perfetti-stastny-wheeler
gus-lowry-ves

I can't like this enough. Although I'd give Cole a pure finisher to play with as he's more playmaker then scorer.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I can't like this enough. Although I'd give Cole a pure finisher to play with as he's more playmaker then scorer.
perfetti can snipe. they don't call him Goal Perfetti for nothing :)

but yea, can he put it in the nhl level? who knows, he has to be playing NHL mins w/ NHL linemates to find out. that's something i see with Ves where he's trouble w/ time & space to get off his shot in the NHL. i think 2 good playmakers, and a high-iq all around C in Stastny can help him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
perfetti can snipe. they don't call him Goal Perfetti for nothing :)

but yea, can he put it in the nhl level? who knows, he has to be playing NHL mins w/ NHL linemates to find out. that's something i see with Ves where he's trouble w/ time & space to get off his shot in the NHL. i think 2 good playmakers, and a high-iq all around C in Stastny can help him.

He can finish but his first instict is as a play driving playmaker. That is why I'd rather allow him to grow into the NHL playing a game that is natural to him. He can add the goal scoring as he gets comfortable.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
There are some great ideas listed on this page. :thumbu:

(Paraphrasing to match context)

To sleep—perchance to dream. Ay, there’s the rub!
For in that sleep ...what dreams may come.

Last edited:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
If I'm in fantasy land where I'm allowed to do what I want...

I'd go

Connor Dubois Svech. It just worked... Wheels sucks. Not even a Jack could save this Wheel or a McDavid.

Perfetti Scheif Ehlers. Mark and Cole would work together.

Copp Lowry Toninato. Toni has been the biggest surprise of the season to me. He's playing hard and deserves more minutes really.

Gus Stastny Vesalainen

Wheels goes to IR cuz somethings up. It can't just be he is that bad now. Perhaps a Moose conditioning stint?

When if 26 is ready just drop ves and go Gus Stastny Wheeler 4th line.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I've never played this game before but after last night I though I would give it go. My only rule for myself is that chances are there are no Moose call ups because there is no evidence in 10 years that it will ever happen.

81 80 71
27 55 93
9 25 26
12 17 21

Went with Ves on that line because they are simply not maximizing his skill set. I suppose you could flip him with Copp but either way he needs more than 5 minutes a game.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm wondering what people think will happen to our defensive pairing next year?

Is Heinola spending the year in the press box? Are they trading Demelo or Dillion?

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018

Is Heinola spending the year in the press box? Are they trading Demelo or Dillion?
Hopefully trade Stanley. He's gone backwards.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Anything could happen, but I think they could just not re-sign Beulieu and bring up Heinola. Rotate between Heinola, Stanley, and Demelo, and provide options for the other D for injuries, back to backs, etc.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

what i think will happen? Nothing

What I'd consider:

& this is based off 1/4 of the year, so lots of time left. so far, have not been impressed by dillon. at nearly 4m cap hit, i think he should be doing a bit more out there on both ends. clearing his space would help re-sign copp too if the team wanted. but cap space is always scarce league-wide .

i think stanley returns more in a trade than dillon, however his low-cap hit is better for us. but, stanley hasn't shown much of a ceiling beyond where he is. limited offense, average defense for a 3rd pair role. but gm's love north american size and i can see him garnering higher trade value than his on-ice play, and the low-cap hit like i mentioned to boot.

Can one of heinola or samberg or stanley step in and play top4ld? I think heinola can, but i don't think pionk is the right partner i don't think stanley can consistently but TBD. and samberg likely not. so if you move dillon you'd have to find a replacement. can you find a guy to bring equal or more to what dillon brings at 3.9M? i think so? would have to look into it more.

Anything could happen, but I think they could just not re-sign Beulieu and bring up Heinola. Rotate between Heinola, Stanley, and Demelo, and provide options for the other D for injuries, back to backs, etc.
idk why people think they'll rotate. when has maurice last done this?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
idk why people think they'll rotate. when has maurice last done this?

It's true Maurice has not done it, and likely wouldn't, but he also didn't have a ton of options I don't think. We've been pretty lucky with injuries so far, and I don't mind having 7 good D on the roster. It helps having Heinola and Stanley having low cap hits. But yes, it would require one not getting the Pressbox treatment for a year.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Bring Beaulieu back into the lineup Jets were 6-1-2 with him in the lineup, and 7 defensemen. 11 forwards.

Losing record with 4 line hockey.

11 forwards, when at least 4 of them can play more minutes, double shift, gets the bench going. You get rewarded for playing good. Besides if the team is going to turtle when Domi is fighting you, what you going to do with Folignos, and Tkachuk and Lucic?

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Add Perfetti and get PM a good replacement. I just don't see how he would hurt the team. To many go to guys not putting the puck in the net.
Let him go for gold at the WJC then get him playing top 9. Enough talent on the Jets to make it happen. Maybe the team needs Cole to play a key role last part of season and playoffs. JMO he is exactly what they need an infusion of offensive skill and he is definitely improved on his weaknesses. If he stays AHL he will still be developing but just not the way he could contribute to the Jets playoff run.

Reactions: snowkiddin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad