Line Combos: Roster 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah, if the line doesn't work with Wheeler, it doesn't, but it won't be because it's missing Svech's quick feet. And it's not like Wheeler isn't skilled, so I'm not sure why people would be averse to seeing if that line can be even better with him on it.
wheeler is getting chances. he's 4th on this team in rate of individual xGF (ixG/60) (behind KC, PLD, Ehlers....for reference Svech is 9th). I don't think Svech does unique at all that Wheeler or perhaps others cant do on that line.

Reactions: surixon

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yeah, if the line doesn't work with Wheeler, it doesn't, but it won't be because it's missing Svech's quick feet. And it's not like Wheeler isn't skilled, so I'm not sure why people would be averse to seeing if that line can be even better with him on it.

If Wheeler goes to the net, gets involved physically down low (hard on the puck) and is also hard on the back check, I'm all for it.
Those are the things Svech brought - none of it sexy but very much appreciated on the line.

I'm also concerned he will slow the line down - not because he's not quick on his feet - more about how he is slow through the neutral zone - call it methodical
That's a trait that Scheif and Wheels share and it would have to stop when he moves to this line - that play a fast attack game - not slow / methodical

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
From Illegal Curve

Copp-Scheifele-Ehlers
Connor-Dubois-Wheeler
Harkins-Lowry-Svechnikov
Toninato-Nash-Vesalainen

Morrissey-Schmidt
Dillon-Pionk
Stanley-DeMelo
Samberg-Beaulieu

Other then having Wheeler moved down to the Lowry line and Svech move back onto the Dubois line I like this line-up.

Not that it really matters what the line-up looks like at the beginning of the game as soon as the Oiler score Maurice will pull out the blender.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
The important first step is that Wheeler is now separated from Scheifele, which I believe will help both of them.

The next step is to try Wheeler with different combinations on the second line. Despite his ixG/60 I haven't seen a good Wheeler very often this year. But he is a notoriously slow starter, so deserves a longer trial to show his stuff on the top-6 with different partners.

The final and hardest step for Maurice will be to demote him to the third line if the old body just can't keep up in the next number of games.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The important first step is that Wheeler is now separated from Scheifele, which I believe will help both of them.

The next step is to try Wheeler with different combinations on the second line. Despite his ixG/60 I haven't seen a good Wheeler very often this year. But he is a notoriously slow starter, so deserves a longer trial to show his stuff on the top-6 with different partners.

The final and hardest step for Maurice will be to demote him to the third line if the old body just can't keep up in the next number of games.
Instead Wheeler got promoted to 1st line Schief and Ehlers are the second line.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
“Ehlers should be on the first line with Scheifele”

*Ehlers is put on the first line with Scheifele*

“That doesn’t count because I like to call the PLD line the first line now”
How can you argue Pld and kfc are not the top line they are completely dominating out there.

Reactions: thai jet

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Don't mind Wheeler on the second line there. Not sold on Svech at all and would prefer Vesalainen there, as he is faster and has a better shot. Wouldn't mind seeing this soon...

9-55-27
81-80-93
25-17-26
4th line with Gus

Reactions: FinJetster

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Really hope adding Wheeler to PLD/ Connor doesn't cool off that line.

All over the Scheifele/Ehlers/Copp line though.

thai jet

Aug 13, 2021
Winnipeg
wheeler is getting chances. he's 4th on this team in rate of individual xGF (ixG/60) (behind KC, PLD, Ehlers....for reference Svech is 9th). I don't think Svech does unique at all that Wheeler or perhaps others cant do on that line.

Since Wheeler signed his big contract his even strength numbers are bad. Playing with our best players his even strength:
oiGF-95
oiGA-107
Cut his ice time by a minute or 2 every few games untill he figures it out. Changing up our best line to get him going is a very bad idea. Just makes Maurice look even weaker.

thai jet

Aug 13, 2021
Winnipeg
Since Wheeler signed his big contract his even strength numbers are bad. Playing with our best players his even strength:
oiGF-95
oiGA-107
Cut his ice time by a minute or 2 every few games untill he figures it out. Changing up our best line to get him going is a very bad idea. Just makes Maurice look even weaker.

Ehlers even strength same years:
oiGF-110
oiGA-75

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
oiGF-95
oiGA-107
Ehlers even strength same years:
oiGF-110
oiGA-75
yeah i think the combo of CSW has been poor. but when he's played away from them they do well (look at ESW for example). im not a proponent of CSW, and Ehlers should be playing ahead of him, which is what the latest lines are indicating.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
From Illegal Curve

Copp-Scheifele-Ehlers
Connor-Dubois-Wheeler
Harkins-Lowry-Svechnikov
Toninato-Nash-Vesalainen

Morrissey-Schmidt
Dillon-Pionk
Stanley-DeMelo
Samberg-Beaulieu

Other then having Wheeler moved down to the Lowry line and Svech move back onto the Dubois line I like this line-up.

Not that it really matters what the line-up looks like at the beginning of the game as soon as the Oiler score Maurice will pull out the blender.
I don't get it. Wheeler's game has fallen off a cliff. I'm sure having COVID didn't help. He's falling all over the ice. Add in Connor's penchant for losing puck battles and this line has the potential to be train wreck. I'm not sure what Harkins does better than Vesalainen either. When he was up on the second line all he seemed to do was get in the way.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't get it. Wheeler's game has fallen off a cliff. I'm sure having COVID didn't help. He's falling all over the ice. Add in Connor's penchant for losing puck battles and this line has the potential to be train wreck. I'm not sure what Harkins does better than Vesalainen either. When he was up on the second line all he seemed to do was get in the way.
What I don’t get how pld’s line isn’t the top line. They are at like a point a game, Ehlers 5 points.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Repeating it for the people in the back: Wheeler is #4 among forwards on our team in xGF% this season. Away from Scheifele, he's second after PLD.

Reactions: SLAYER

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Repeating it for the people in the back: Wheeler is #4 among forwards on our team in xGF% this season. Away from Scheifele, he's second after PLD.

There's more to the game than stat's - sometimes "fit" plays a role and that what some are calling out (for those in the back)

Reactions: ecolad

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
There's more to the game than stat's - sometimes "fit" plays a role and that what some are calling out (for those in the back)
The post I replied to, as with every post I've replied in that manner to, said Wheeler's game has completely fallen off. That claim doesn't hold to scrutiny so far this season.

Could the CDW line completely fail? Sure, maybe Wheeler throws off the chemistry. But the fact that people are so averse to throwing Wheeler on that line seem to have less to do with chemistry and more to do with a strong dislike of Wheeler.

Someone even said that the line would be less effective because Wheeler is too slow, when he's replacing Svechnikov. Who probably is our slowest skater.

Reactions: DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The post I replied to, as with every post I've replied in that manner to, said Wheeler's game has completely fallen off. That claim doesn't hold to scrutiny so far this season.

Could the CDW line completely fail? Sure, maybe Wheeler throws off the chemistry. But the fact that people are so averse to throwing Wheeler on that line seem to have less to do with chemistry and more to do with a strong dislike of Wheeler.

Someone even said that the line would be less effective because Wheeler is too slow, when he's replacing Svechnikov. Who probably is our slowest skater.

agreed. wheeler can do everything svech can do on that line, and is a far better producer, more skilled, faster etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad