GDT: Rookie Tournament in Estero

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Well, I think the game was pretty evenly played except for some horrid breakdowns by the Panthers. Grimaldi looked good, very dangerous, liked what I saw from him.
Brickley just keeps producing, he'll get a look in training camp.
Matheson was really good. I liked everything I saw from him. Even the announcer said Matheson had some sensation moments (or something like that). He created the most offense for the Panthers, using his skating, puck moving, and offensive IQ. One thing though I think he will need to work on is to get a little bit bigger. He looked a little thin.

Thanks for the update. Based on the pics I've seen of Matheson in street clothes, he looks plenty big. He does look lean on the ice though.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
Here is an interview with Portland head coach Tom Rowe and gives his opinions on most of our top prospects in the tourney and how they looked.
He doesn't sugar-coat anything which is kinda nice. He talked about Matheson not being NHL ready, turning the puck over and making some rookie mistakes for example.

http://www.portlandpiratesradio.com/general/florida-panthers-rookie-camp-report-with-tom-rowe-sept-15-2015-final-thoughts-on-estero-rookie-tournament-as-panthers-downed-4-1-by-lightning/

I'm calling bias since he wants to keep Matheson in his lineup as opposed to losing him to the big club .. :sarcasm: :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad