Kings News: Ron Hextall Leaves Kings for Flyers

Jun 30, 2006
Best of luck to Ron, he did a lot of great work for the Kings. Enjoyed his interviews.

That being said, I trust Dean Lombardi and don't think we have anything to worry about. Dean is the architect of this organization and brought in Ron Hextall.

I believe, and I may be crazy for suggesting this but I think Dean will hire his buddy Brian Burke as Assistant GM. Burke is currently a part time pro scout with the Ducks and still resides in SoCal.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Best of luck to Ron, he did a lot of great work for the Kings. Enjoyed his interviews.

That being said, I trust Dean Lombardi and don't think we have anything to worry about. Dean is the architect of this organization and brought in Ron Hextall.

I believe, and I may be crazy for suggesting this but I think Dean will hire his buddy Brian Burke as Assistant GM. Burke is currently a part time pro scout with the Ducks and still resides in SoCal.

Can you say powerhouse?

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Dark horse replacement pick...I'm guessing it will be Futa or O'Connell but how about...

imgWayne%20Gretzky5.jpg

(if he can work out his financial situation with the NHL of course)

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I heard the issue with Gretzky and the Kings, is that the ownership prior
to AEG, owes Wayne money and Wayne doesn't want to do anything for the Kings, unless that is settled.

With O'Connell, Futa, and Ferreira, the Kings have a lot of experienced and competent choices. Luc? I don't see him being an Asst GM.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I heard the issue with Gretzky and the Kings, is that the ownership prior
to AEG, owes Wayne money and Wayne doesn't want to do anything for the Kings, unless that is settled.

With O'Connell, Futa, and Ferreira, the Kings have a lot of experienced and competent choices. Luc? I don't see him being an Asst GM.

I don't want to see Luc ever being involved in player personnel decisions. Surely the Kings have learned their lesson by now, players from earlier Kings' eras should have nothing to do with player personnel or on-ice hockey decisions, unless they are a member of Lombardi's management team. Other than the occasional wave to the crowd from the stands Gretzky can stay away too.

Who knows? Maybe some day Mike Donnelly or Nelson Emmerson will be GM material, but please no "big name" former stars that haven't paid their dues in the area of player development.

My personal favorite for Assistant GM at this time would be Mike Futa. I believe he was a GM in the OHL at one time.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
No, he can play but can't manage his way out of a paper bag....

Actually has a decent track record with regards to player management and scouting players for teams (Team Canada for example). Horrible coach, that's for damn sure. Anti-Darryl Sutter, perhaps?

Would be ok giving him a chance to learn the NHL management game under DL. I do not think Gretzky will be stepping back NHL circles anytime soon though after his falling out with the Coyotes.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
So bitter....

His contract was up. He chose to leave. He has his family on the east coast and the Flyers mean a LOT to him. Settle down.

With TL gone it looks like uncle Phil is more involved so I can see alot of people leaving the organ-eye-zation. When the owner takes an active role you end up with alot of unhappy, underpaid, and unappreciated employees.:nod:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
With TL gone it looks like uncle Phil is more involved so I can see alot of people leaving the organ-eye-zation. When the owner takes an active role you end up with alot of unhappy, underpaid, and unappreciated employees.:nod:

Or Hextall moved to the organization that birthed his hockey career and has an opportunity to become the GM there, unlike Los Angeles.

Captain Mittens*

Mr Teeny

Aug 10, 2005
Mission Viejo, CA
With crisis comes opportunity.

Hopefully some one else steps up and is even better at the job that Hextall was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a41eQIO07R4

Let's hope this crisitunity is both averted and seized.

I do think Hexy did a great job for us, and played a critically different role than Dean... or at least could interact and assess things with a different style, which Dean sometimes needs. That said, Dean was smart enough to bring in Ron because he knew Ron could play that role. I trust he will be smart in bringing in another person with the same strengths and attitude to complement his own.

Best of luck to Hexy. Just don't steal our good players over the next few years. :)

Last edited:

taz346

Jan 8, 2008
Not there, but here

With Burke's past employment positions, I just don't see his ego allowing him to be an Assistant to DL.

Jun 30, 2006
With Burke's past employment positions, I just don't see his ego allowing him to be an Assistant to DL.

If you look at his job now, he is back working for the Ducks as a Pro Scout...part time that is. I don't see an ego issue here.

Dean and Burke worked together on trades, drafted each others favorite players (see Brayden Schenn), worked on development of USA hockey and worked together on scouting and selecting players for the USA Olympic hockey team. No one has better rapport with Dean than Brian Burke, they have the same background and speak the same language (They both went to law school.)

I also invite you to read Burke talking about the Kings in 2008, when he was GM of the Ducks. He had lots of great things to say about Dean, and stopped short of predicting that a cup was in our future with Dean at the helm.

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/2008/11/03/brian-burke-likes-the-kings/

I don't see a problem if they work together, Burke would have a bigger and more full time role with Dean than he would with the Ducks.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
So do you pop in VHS tapes of the '75 Flyers to relive glory, seeing how you probably weren't born yet when the Flyers were champs.

I didn't realize you needed to be alive when something happened to appreciate it.

I assume the pyramids are just a pile of sand to you huh?

Honestly, that's just a dumbass comment Ziggy. I enjoy the Flyers cup runs, and I was neither born when they happened, nor am I a Flyers fan.

Dark horse replacement pick...I'm guessing it will be Futa or O'Connell but how about...

imgWayne%20Gretzky5.jpg

(if he can work out his financial situation with the NHL of course)

Gretzky was recently linked to talks with the Leafs. Seems like he said he has zero interest right now.

I don't see a problem if they work together, Burke would have a bigger and more full time role with Dean than he would with the Ducks.

I doubt Burke would have any issue with working for DL. That said, Burke has publicly said he wants to be a GM again, and likely he's just biding his time waiting for a chance to open up, just like DL did with the Flyers between GM roles in SJ and LA.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I didn't realize you needed to be alive when something happened to appreciate it.

I assume the pyramids are just a pile of sand to you huh?

Honestly, that's just a dumbass comment Ziggy. I enjoy the Flyers cup runs, and I was neither born when they happened, nor am I a Flyers fan.

The guy was talking about the Flyers being a better organization than the Kings just based on what they did many generations ago. By the same token, I guess the Oilers and Islanders are better organizations than the Kings right now. Don't hurt yourself leaning on that fence.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The guy was talking about the Flyers being a better organization than the Kings just based on what they did many generations ago. By the same token, I guess the Oilers and Islanders are better organizations than the Kings right now. Don't hurt yourself leaning on that fence.

I'm fully aware of what the guy was talking about.

And he was speaking historically, which you were fully aware of as well.

Don't knock yourself out on the gas coming from that pile of BS you're shovelling though.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'm fully aware of what the guy was talking about.

And he was speaking historically, which you were fully aware of as well.

Don't knock yourself out on the gas coming from that pile of BS you're shovelling though.

And nobody was comparing the Kings' and Flyers' history until that poster brought it up in his attempt to belittle the Kings' organization. Maybe that went over your head and you didn't get that at all, and I can understand seeing how you like to stand out and be different. You go, girl. Go on with your sassy attitude.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
And nobody was comparing the Kings' and Flyers' history until that poster brought it up in his attempt to belittle the Kings' organization. Maybe that went over your head and you didn't get that at all, and I can understand seeing how you like to stand out and be different. You go, girl. Go on with your sassy attitude.

Lmao. Hello kettle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad