Kings News: Ron Hextall Leaves Kings for Flyers

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
I'm sure he will taking over GM position in no time. If the Flyers want to have any kind of respect anymore.

That really sucks though. Wow.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The Show will go on, plenty of Qualified people to take the Assistant GM spot.

Good luck Hex, I wish you well. Thank you for the Cup.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
This sucks. Every off season I feel like he will take one of the GM vacancies that usually presents itself.
DL maybe driving the bus, but Hextall was the Engine.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I feel betrayed. He was amazing

I like the stories...one that stands out, was Ron trying to help Pushkarev develop.

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jan/18/sports/sp-kingrep18

"Hex is down there and I call him and I'm losing my patience," Lombardi said. "I'm in Western Canada, waiting in this huge line to cross the border and I'm yelling into the phone, 'Get him out of here. I don't want him around our players anymore.'

"I'm out of my car and I'm just screaming. The border guard is looking at me and wants to go through my trunk now. He was ready to frisk me, people are beeping their horns behind me and all I hear in my ear is Hex saying, 'Calm down, I'll take care of this.' ... I'm yelling at him, 'He's going to tell every other player to try to go somewhere else to get their way.' Hex is just saying, 'Trust me, Dean, I can get to this guy.' These are the critical moments in the development of a player."

Hextall, it seems, got to him. Pushkarev's play picked up considerably, to the point where he was not only called up on Jan. 4 but put on the Kings' top line.

"Hex commands so much respect that even a Russian like Pushkarev can appreciate what he stands for," Lombardi said. "Now there's a joke around the office that this is Hex's son. I think Hex saw a little of himself, because if you see Pushkarev play, he's got that same type of competitive streak."

Last edited:

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
Is it even possible that the Kings and Flyers will exchange more players?
Expecting to see "Martinez to Flyers for picks" before Halloween

KingKopitar11*

I hate the flyers even more now. ****ing poachers. I hope their team collapses and miss the playoffs for years.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I hate the flyers even more now. ****ing poachers. I hope their team collapses and miss the playoffs for years.

So bitter....

His contract was up. He chose to leave. He has his family on the east coast and the Flyers mean a LOT to him. Settle down.

KingKopitar11*

So bitter....

His contract was up. He chose to leave. He has his family on the east coast and the Flyers mean a LOT to him. Settle down.

I am bitter. I thought he was awesome. Well if his family is in the east then I'm glad he's going to be with the flyers. But personally since I've always hated the flyers, changes nothing. Still want them to suck.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

To be honest I think we could be seen as the poachers in the relationship.

Flyers have become my team in the East because it is likely cheering for a second LA Kings team. Am routing for them even more now.
Sucks that LA lost him, but at least it wasn't to Vancouver or something.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Dammit. Sucks, but inevitable. He will totally have Homer's job. Oh well, should mean some good trades in our future between the two teams.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
When I saw the ticker on the Nhl Network, I thought it said taking over the GM position instead of assistant GM and was like WOW! Its a tough loss but like others have said, we have lots of qualified guys to replace him, but who replaces his mentoring of our goalies? I know we still have Ranford, but Hex was a big part Quick and Bernier development as well as helping them work through their issues when their games dropped.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Ugh, why do people insist on going back to that hellhole of organization. Whatever, I love him and it's his choice, but I can't honestly say I'll be rooting for him when he's working for the Flyers.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Ugh, why do people insist on going back to that hellhole of organization. Whatever, I love him and it's his choice, but I can't honestly say I'll be rooting for him when he's working for the Flyers.

Hextall-
On missing Philadelphia: “That was my home for a long time. My girls still live on the East Coast and my son Brett played on the East Coast last year (with Portland of the AHL). I do spend a decent amount of time in Manchester (N.H.) with our minor league team, but I miss the Philadelphia area. I can’t say enough about the organization and the people in the organization. When you get down to it, an organization is just an organization but what makes it special is the people. From [Chairman] Mr. [Ed] Snider to Clarke to [Paul Holmgren] to everyone in that organization, it’s a special, special organization.â€

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
One thing that is for certain is that the Flyers organization treats most of their former players rather well and keep them in the fold, as evidenced with how long guys like Bobby Clarke and Paul Holmgren have been with the organization and how they've employed Laperriere and are doing the same with Pronger and now Hextall.

However, if you are expected to be some type of savior who is going to lead the team to the promise land or are a goaltender, expect your name to be tarnished, vilified, drug threw mud, and eventually be chased out of town.

1dude

Aug 26, 2008
California
Good Luck Ron...thanks for all your hard work with the Kings.

- As the future GM of the Flyers this is upward movement for Hextall...good for him.

Kings fans...we have taken quite a bit from the Flyers organization. Ron was once a goal score for the Flyers so this is a no-brainer.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Wish him the best though. I'm definitely going to miss him and his passion for success.

Yup, amen. We knew he was gone sooner or later. We're a successful org now...get used to people getting poached rather than fired.

Glad he can get back to where his heart is. You know he's moving on to a bigger role and will eventually be their GM. Personally, I can't wait till they have someone in there to make over the org. You know he's gonna be awesome with everyone from Snider to the media...and oh boy, I can't wait to see him deal with the media.

This is a good thing for that franchise. I'm bummed, and hope it doesn't set us back.

Captain Mittens*

This is a good thing for that franchise. I'm bummed, and hope it doesn't set us back.
With crisis comes opportunity.

Hopefully some one else steps up and is even better at the job that Hextall was

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad