Kings News: Ron Hextall Leaves Kings for Flyers

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Yup, amen. We knew he was gone sooner or later. We're a successful org now...get used to people getting poached rather than fired.

Glad he can get back to where his heart is. You know he's moving on to a bigger role and will eventually be their GM. Personally, I can't wait till they have someone in there to make over the org. You know he's gonna be awesome with everyone from Snider to the media...and oh boy, I can't wait to see him deal with the media.

This is a good thing for that franchise. I'm bummed, and hope it doesn't set us back.

Exactly. I always enjoyed his interviews, especially regarding drafting and our prospects. Extremely thorough and analytical like Dean.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
I was really hoping he'd take a GM job anywhere but Philly because, although I admire the work he's done here, I can't stand the Flyers and will always root for them to fail. Oh well, sucks for Hextall. As long as Snider, Clarke and Holmgren are there, he's doomed.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Hextall- On missing Philadelphia: “That was my home for a long time. My girls still live on the East Coast and my son Brett played on the East Coast last year (with Portland of the AHL). I do spend a decent amount of time in Manchester (N.H.) with our minor league team, but I miss the Philadelphia area. I can’t say enough about the organization and the people in the organization. When you get down to it, an organization is just an organization but what makes it special is the people. From [Chairman] Mr. [Ed] Snider to Clarke to [Paul Holmgren] to everyone in that organization, it’s a special, special organization.â€

Great, good for him. If he's happy, whatever. He was a beloved Flyer so it makes sense, but part of me was hoping he'd realized what a backwards organization it was after he went and won elsewhere. He can have fun with Ed Snider and his complete overbearing control of the team's decisions. That and their treatment of certain players throughout their history makes me want them to fail.

He was a great Assistant GM and it sucks to see him leave, but that's life. The Kings will be alright. So thanks for your work, Hextall. Have fun in Philly.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Well, good for Hextall I guess. I was hoping that Dean would kick himself upstairs in 2 or 3 years and Hextall would take over. I really don't get the appeal of the east coast to these guys.

This is why you develop not only a deep bench in terms of player personnel, but in terms of managerial talent as well. The Kings are pretty deep in that regard with guys like Futa, Yanetti, and Ranford in key positions. I don't know who they will tab to replace Hextall, but Futa seems like a logical choice to me.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Ugh, why do people insist on going back to that hellhole of organization. Whatever, I love him and it's his choice, but I can't honestly say I'll be rooting for him when he's working for the Flyers.

The amount of success the Flyers have had in comparison to the Kings since 1967 isn't even close. Not surprised you joined HF in June 2011. :help::help::help::help:

Sybil227

Jun 16, 2004
Santa Clarita
Well, as much as I hate seeing Hexy go, it gives us a chance to continue creating our culture from within. I sincerely hope they'll pick an ex-King to replace him. I can see any of Fox, Evans, Emerson, or Taylor moving into that spot.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
The amount of success the Flyers have had in comparison to the Kings since 1967 isn't even close. Not surprised you joined HF in June 2011. :help::help::help::help:

Wow, I totally compared success in that statement. And what does my join date have to do with anything? Did my hockey fandom start when I joined an internet forum? Ok then. I don't like the Flyers for a number of reasons and it has nothing to do with their success in the playoffs (or lack there of since it's been over 35 years since their last cup).

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Good for him, makes it easier for him to get a head job probably when Homer is quickly fired. Easier when you're when in house already.

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
I really don't get the appeal of the east coast to these guys.

Somewhat off-topic here: if I recall correctly, at the time Aki Berg (I think it was him) got traded to Toronto, he gave an interview where he said (paraphrasing heavily): "Thank God; now I'm going to a place that has great weather"...I guess it's all about what you're acclimated to/conditioned for...

Back on-topic: Best of luck to Hextall; hopefully, his replacement proves more-than-capable of the role of understudy...

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
So do you pop in VHS tapes of the '75 Flyers to relive glory, seeing how you probably weren't born yet when the Flyers were champs.

Not even talking about Cups. Have the Kings been a better organization than the Flyers over the past 10 years? They've been to the Stanley Cup Finals more times than anyone but the Canadiens since they entered the league. To call them a hellhole of an organization is just a dumb statement.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Not even talking about Cups. Have the Kings been a better organization than the Flyers over the past 10 years? They've been to the Stanley Cup Finals more times than anyone but the Canadiens since they entered the league. To call them a hellhole of an organization is just a dumb statement.

Of course your not talking about Cups cause the Flyers don't have any since 1975. And once again, the hellhole comment is referring to how they're run. Their backwards mentality when it comes to defense and goaltending and their need to start accusing players the minute things don't start going right.

Actually, you know what, it's really just the players that it sucks for. The Flyers are much kinder to their GMs. The amount of mistakes you have to make to lose that job is astounding. Fire the coaches, trade the players, but the GM? Yeah, give him ten more chances. Oh he was a part of the Broad Street Bullies? Give him twenty.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Of course your not talking about Cups cause the Flyers don't have any since 1975. And once again, the hellhole comment is referring to how they're run. Their backwards mentality when it comes to defense and goaltending and their need to start accusing players the minute things don't start going right.

Actually, you know what, it's really just the players that it sucks for. The Flyers are much kinder to their GMs. The amount of mistakes you have to make to lose that job is astounding. Fire the coaches, trade the players, but the GM? Yeah, give him ten more chances. Oh he was a part of the Broad Street Bullies? Give him twenty.

6a0120a6dde087970b0163066ee294970d-800wi

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Kings win Stanley Cup = Still not as successful as the Flyers in the past 10 years :sarcasm:

Ron*

So do you pop in VHS tapes of the '75 Flyers to relive glory, seeing how you probably weren't born yet when the Flyers were champs.

The Flyers were pretty good back in the early to mid-70s, but they were also a hateful team with all their brawn. It was a different era, that's for sure.

If you want to get technical, yes, the Flyers have won two Cups to the Kings' one. However, I think his statement that "its not even close" really isn't relevant.

Also, the Kings have been much more successful as of late than the Flyers have been. That much is pretty obvious, and anyone who wants to get back on their soapbox and pump their fists the last time the Flyers won a Cup is going to be ridiculed.

Hell, I was 17. It was two GD generations ago! :laugh:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I bet any sane and logical Flyers fan would trade the past two decades of Flyers hockey to see their team win a Cup (and make it to the Conference Finals a year later).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad