Romanuk/Millen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I said this before and I will say it again. When Rogers took over the broadcasting rights in Canada teams like the Oilers, Flames and Canucks got to keep their same regional announcers for their games on Sportsnet. However for some reason they got rid of Joe Bowen on TV and were given Paul Romanuk.

It shows how clueless they are of their audience, just like when they brought in Strombo to host HNIC. They disrespected the regular HNIC audience and put in someone completely unfit for the job. Not smart, especially when the current person was well liked and didn't need to be pushed out. Strombo is a great TV host, but didn't fit as a hockey guy. I bet they thought they hit a home run when they hired him to host HNIC, when they really struck out.

Typical powerful corporation that's out of touch with their customers, and doesn't do the right research to make key decisions, because they can afford to be ignorant when they have the broadcasting rights for so many games.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It shows how clueless they are of their audience, just like when they brought in Strombo to host HNIC. They disrespected the regular HNIC audience and put in someone completely unfit for the job. Not smart, especially when the current person was well liked and didn't need to be pushed out. Strombo is a great TV host, but didn't fit as a hockey guy. I bet they thought they hit a home run when they hired him to host HNIC, when they really struck out.

Typical powerful corporation that's out of touch with their customers, and doesn't do the right research to make key decisions, because they can afford to be ignorant when they have the broadcasting rights for so many games.
It always bothered me that Strombo himself was an admitted Canadiens fan. You think they would want the host of HNIC to be neutral.

Although and this was before Rogers got the broadcasting rights, on the night when Toronto played Vancouver and the Canucks were retiring Pavel Bure's number, who was the MC of the event? The one and only Jim Hughson who went to broadcast the game.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Pierre McGuire knows hockey. He might be creepy as all, but the man knows hockey. Pierre can probably tell you where over 500 pros played junior, the stooges we get every night have a hard time keeping up with the names on Leafs roster.

Someone earlier said it, and I cant think of a better way to put it. Sportsnet is just tone deaf.
I always enjoyed seeing games with McGuire during his time at TSN.

Reactions: ashs

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Mickey Mouse and Goofy could do a better job, for sure but a play by play guy will never impede my Leaf watching enjoyment. I don't hear them and my hearing is exceptional. To me they sound like the teacher from the Peanuts cartoons.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
It always bothered me that Strombo himself was an admitted Canadiens fan. You think they would want the host of HNIC to be neutral.

Although and this was before Rogers got the broadcasting rights, on the night when Toronto played Vancouver and the Canucks were retiring Pavel Bure's number, who was the MC of the event? The one and only Jim Hughson who went to broadcast the game.

I don’t necessarily mind knowing that a sports TV personality cheers/cheered for a certain team. I’ll still give them the benefit of the doubt that they’ll be professional and unbiased in their opinions, as it’s probably in their best interest to do so as well.

We know Hughson did play-by-play for the Canucks for a long time, and so he probably was the right choice to MC an event like that. Overall, I see him as relatively unbiased but maybe I’m in the minority. I don’t enjoy his quirky nicknames for players that nobody else uses (e.g. calling Gretzky “99” or calling Patrick Kane “Pat Kane”). Nobody else does it, so it’s as if he’s putting too much of his own spin on things. But I can live with that, because I find he does add some level of insight and intelligence to his play calling. And of course, it absolutely pales in comparison to the level of unprofessional absurdity and annoyance that Romanuk and Millen achieve on a nightly basis.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
except for this crowning McGuire moment here at 0:28. He lost a lot of people with this.

What is wrong with what McGuire said??
I still couldn't understand the name of the Russian that iced the puck but i remember that Don Cherry went on at length about it. Did the Russian do something after he iced the puck? I know there was more to this but i just can't remember what exactly the Russian kid did??

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don’t necessarily mind knowing that a sports TV personality cheers/cheered for a certain team. I’ll still give them the benefit of the doubt that they’ll be professional and unbiased in their opinions, as it’s probably in their best interest to do so as well.

We know Hughson did play-by-play for the Canucks for a long time, and so he probably was the right choice to MC an event like that. Overall, I see him as relatively unbiased but maybe I’m in the minority. I don’t enjoy his quirky nicknames for players that nobody else uses (e.g. calling Gretzky “99” or calling Patrick Kane “Pat Kane”). Nobody else does it, so it’s as if he’s putting too much of his own spin on things. But I can live with that, because I find he does add some level of insight and intelligence to his play calling. And of course, it absolutely pales in comparison to the level of unprofessional absurdity and annoyance that Romanuk and Millen achieve on a nightly basis.
I can see why Hughson would MC an event like that, however HNIC should have realized based on that not to have him broadcast the Leafs and Canucks game right after it.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I still couldn't understand the name of the Russian that iced the puck but i remember that Don Cherry went on at length about it. Did the Russian do something after he iced the puck? I know there was more to this but i just can't remember what exactly the Russian kid did??

Gord Miller, extremely excited with this amazing turn of events - "Can you believe it!!?!?!!!"

Pierre McGuire - "I can, because of blah blah blah"

Awful, just awful.

edit - He went for the empty net and iced it, poor decision but not to interrupt that moment.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Gord Miller, extremely excited with this amazing turn of events - "Can you believe it!!?!?!!!"

Awful, just awful.

edit - He went for the empty net and iced it, poor decision but not to interrupt that moment.
HA, I get it. Reminds me of Haley after winning the Olympic Gold and all she wanted to talk about was how the US girls disrespected our flag

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Awful, just awful.

Not to mention that specific Russian player who iced the puck was seen laughing about it.

Irish

Jun 15, 2016
Can Sportsnet really not do any better than these 2? We've been stuck with them for the majority of their broadcasts the past 2 years. Lame jokes, an awkward dynamic, missed play calls... doesn't the #1 market in Canada deserve better than this? Games on TSN with Miller/Cuthbert and Ferraro is such a superior broadcast .

Besides Tavares, best news of the summer.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

"I can!"

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Gord Miller in my opinion the best play by play man in the sport today. Him and Ferarro make a great duo. Would love if they did the Leafs all the time.

But ultimately if I were to pick a duo it has to be Joe Bowen and Jim Ralph. They are excellent, shame they're just on radio though.

Reactions: ashs

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Romanuk has been fired. He is being replaces by John Bartlett which is even worse. I'm watching sportsnet on MUTE. I hate everyone on that channel except for Friedman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad