Romanuk/Millen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irish

Jun 15, 2016
Can Sportsnet really not do any better than these 2? We've been stuck with them for the majority of their broadcasts the past 2 years. Lame jokes, an awkward dynamic, missed play calls... doesn't the #1 market in Canada deserve better than this? Games on TSN with Miller/Cuthbert and Ferraro is such a superior broadcast .

CalEh

Oct 28, 2017
Manhattan Beach, California
Can Sportsnet really not do any better than these 2? We've been stuck with them for the majority of their broadcasts the past 2 years. Lame jokes, an awkward dynamic, missed play calls... doesn't the #1 market in Canada deserve better than this? Games on TSN with Miller/Cuthbert and Ferraro is such a superior broadcast .

Everything you've said is accurate.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

Beyak was solid and he's second string at TSN, should poach him

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Glad to see I'm far from alone in this.

Wouldn't hurt if they learned how to do proper audio too. Sound is horrible.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Biggest hockey market with the worst crew. It's a total joke. Millen is tolerable IMO.. not good but tolerable. Romanuk has no business doing the play by play at this level. You can find guys doing local JR B radio broadcasts who are better. Constant mistakes, awkward jokes, and general lack of knowledge. It doesn't get much worse than Paul Romanuk.

Rogers is tone deaf, though. I mean..they had the clown take over for Ron Maclean. They have the best colour guy/analyst in not only all of hockey, but all of pro sports, in Glenn Healy. What do they do? Let him walk. They are absolutely clueless.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It simply blows my mind that a guy like Millen, -who was past his best before date a decade ago- still has a job. What's perhaps even more amazing is the guy who writes his cheques has a job, because that dude is clueless. People complain about everyone, but this isn't the case here, those two, especially the colour guy, are f***ing awful. I've never loathed a voice like Millen's, he offers nothing. I'll never take Sportsnet seriously, if they think Millen qualifies as a benefit to the listener. Like wake up Sportsnet.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Millen was the Sens colour commentator before replacing Harry Neale's vacant spot in 2006. If there wasn't another reason to hate them. :sarcasm:

Vintage93

Apr 2, 2006
Toronto
Biggest hockey market with the worst crew. It's a total joke. Millen is tolerable IMO.. not good but tolerable. Romanuk has no business doing the play by play at this level. You can find guys doing local JR B radio broadcasts who are better. Constant mistakes, awkward jokes, and general lack of knowledge. It doesn't get much worse than Paul Romanuk.

Rogers is tone deaf, though. I mean..they had the clown take over for Ron Maclean. They have the best colour guy/analyst in not only all of hockey, but all of pro sports, in Glenn Healy. What do they do? Let him walk. They are absolutely clueless.

You must be trolling

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
It simply blows my mind that a guy like Millen, -who was past his best before date a decade ago- still has a job. What's perhaps even more amazing is the guy who writes his cheques has a job, because that dude is clueless. People complain about everyone, but this isn't the case here, those two, especially the colour guy, are ****ing awful. I've never loathed a voice like Millen's, he offers nothing. I'll never take Sportsnet seriously, if they think Millen qualifies as a benefit to the listener. Like wake up Sportsnet.

It blows my mind that there aren't any better, more qualified broadcasting candidates in the largest hockey market in the world.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I can honestly say I have never seen anyone as bad as Millen....like not even in the ball park.....

He's pretty bad but he's kind of dumb-funny sometimes when he's not inflating the ego of every goalie on the ice......Romanuk is just hard to listen too in every-way.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Its painful and takes away a lot of the enjoyment from the game for us viewers. We deserve the best crew let alone the worst pair of idiots out there.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I tried to listen to NHL’s Fan590 audio but it is 30 seconds off

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
He's pretty bad but he's kind of dumb-funny sometimes when he's not inflating the ego of every goalie on the ice......Romanuk is just hard to listen too in every-way.

Personally, I hate the sound of Greg Millen's stupid hoser accent even more. He sounds like the stereotypical Canadian that's incapable of enunciating his words properly. Hearing him talk is like listening to a Bob and Doug McKenzie sketch on SCTV. Take off, Eh!...

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

To be fair in terms of Healy, he hated the Leafs with a passion, nitpicked with the best of them.

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
To be fair in terms of Healy, he hated the Leafs with a passion, nitpicked with the best of them.

He only started to hate them after he wasn't asked back for a 2nd interview for the vacant Leafs GM position (shows how petty he really is). When he was a TSN panelist, he would blow so much smoke up their collective arses.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
There's a new thread on this every couple weeks. Now, maybe people should stop being angry about that and look at the source of the problem.

Sportsnet.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Waiting to hear rojac's opinion on this.

I stated my opinion many times that pretty much all announcers just go in one year and out the other with me -- just like most between period features.

At least, this thread doesn't contain the "they're not homer enough for me" garbage.

Millen can be an idiot at times but honestly, as I've said, I don't really care what he says. It's gone from my mind

I don't mind Romanuk. He makes mistakes but lots of announcers do that -- it's also pretty clear that many of those are because he depends solely on numbers to identify players. Hence, Nylander/Brown and Kadri/Bozak confusions.

I just don't see the point of posting over and over that you don't like the announcers. We all know that there's a group of posters out there who dislike Romanuk and Millen. Do we really need to read it time and time again? Do people really think Sportsnet is going to read these boards and decide to fire them? I don't.

Although, I will admit that I am a bit guilty of this myself and have mentioned multiple times on these boards that I find Ron MacLean's pretentiousness annoying -- my main issues are when he get's into the whole hockey being some great part of Canada culture thing. And that I absolutely cannot stand Don Cherry.

Since I don't think they're actually affecting the ratings for Leaf games, I honestly don't see them going anywhere until the end of their deals. At which point, Sportsnet will likely evaluate them and decide whether to renew their deals. I think Romanuk's deal, at least, is up at the end of this season.

But honestly, you could probably put any reasonable commentator -- that is, one who is at least somewhat competent at forming sentences and who's voice does not annoy me (only a few voice types annoy me) -- on Leafs games and it would be unlikely to bother me.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
There's a new thread on this every couple weeks. Now, maybe people should stop being angry about that and look at the source of the problem.

Sportsnet.

I asked in another thread if Sportsnet was the reason that you no longer work on HNIC and you haven't answered. I suspect that Sportsnet/Rogers laid you off or fired you and that a lot of your posts are simply the rants of a disgruntled former employee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad