GDT: Roil Rumble!: Your New Jersey Devils vs. Edmonton Oilers, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Goal1: sorry guys - you don't give up the short side. It wasn't a terrible goal, but it was one Cory would like to have back. Even Chico said so.
Goal2: Terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible. Wasn't that hard of a shot. It was in a tough spot, but if you can't close the 5hole on that, it is going to be a LOOONNG season.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Goal1: sorry guys - you don't give up the short side. It wasn't a terrible goal, but it was one Cory would like to have back. Even Chico said so.
Goal2: Terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible. Wasn't that hard of a shot. It was in a tough spot, but if you can't close the 5hole on that, it is going to be a LOOONNG season.

For a goalie, any shortside goal is weak...it just has to be stopped. Thiugh it should have been stopped I give him a pass on that as the d collapsed and it was like a point blank shot
Goal 2 never should have happened, esp to a butterfly goalie whose bread a butter is the 5hole. You point to a reason why we lost, its his play.

He was lucky that most of his bad rebounds didn't go in, got.lucky with Edmontons wide shots, or shots back into his chest... that's also gone down hill since last christmas

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought the first goal was at least stoppable. Not the worst I've seen this year from Cory, but it was stoppable. Not completely his fault, but definitely stoppable.

I don't see how you can blame anyone but him for the second goal. Most teams would be fine with allowing 15 shots like that in a night, even though it was a 2 on 1. The shot was not good, it had barely any heat on it, it was from an area that wasn't really a high percentage scoring area and it squeaked in 5-hole.

It didn't even look like a shot that was gonna go in, when you saw him take it. It didn't really look like anything to worry about or at all threatening. Even Steve was a little bit shocked when that went in, as you could tell from his call.

And when Dano says ''Now he knows he's gotta have that one'', despite usually being very quick to absolve the goalie of any blame, you know it was a pretty bad one. I would say that was the worst goal he's allowed this year. He allowed a couple bad ones against Ottawa a few weeks back, and he allowed that poor goal against Edmonton last week, but at least you could try to rationalize those ones with ''The puck bounced on him'' or ''He may have been screened''. Can't rationalize this one. These are the types of goals that have become more frequent over the last calendar year, and the next time Cory has a game where he's lit up and has no chance on any of the goals it really is the ''Defense's fault'', you can say it's the evening out of the odds and making up for some of these stinkers, while having an otherwise good game on paper.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don’t think that was the case tonight.

We had enough quality chances, much more than last game.

We had more quality chances because the Oilers suck compared to the Blues. I actually thought this game was worse than the blues game with the exception of the first 7 minutes or so. Again, this isn't like last season, but it's trending away from the high event, back and forth style that they were actually winning with, and towards a low event, poor execution boring style they lose with.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We need to break this 5 game losing streak over the team that by all rights, deserves to probably be the worst in the league right now.

And we have Chicago on Sunday, who I didn't even realize was 500. I thought they were on fire. I think they've been on a recent skid, themselves. Which I haven't been paying much attention to the West standings recently. Just saw they were 7-7-2. They had a really hot start, if I recall correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad