GDT: Roil Rumble!: Your New Jersey Devils vs. Edmonton Oilers, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
That goal Cory let in wasnt THAT soft. Sure he needs to stop it and I'm sure he wants it back, but it's difficult to overly criticize goalies when giving up 2 on 1 goals. There's a lot going on in that situation.

Heck, I blame Andy Greene for a weak-azz lame stick check attempt that allowed his man to blow by him and CREATE the 2 on 1 in the first place more than I blame Cory.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Hayes has to be taken out. He stinks. Zacha in for Hayes has to happen. I wanna see Hynes spread the wealth a little:

Hall - Nico - Stafford
Gibbons - Henrique - Bratt
Zacha - Boyle - Palmieri
Wood - Coleman - Noesen

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I wanna see Hynes spread the wealth a little:

I've been saying this too, but I want a far more dramatic spreading to all 3 lines. The below 3rd-line could actually score goals IMO.

Hall - Henrique - Palms
Gibbons - Nico - Bratt
Zacha - Coleman - Stafford
Wood - Boyle - Lappin

Extra Forward: Noesen

Waived: Hayes

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I've been saying this too, but I want a far more dramatic spreading to all 3 lines.

Hall - Henrique - Palms
Gibbons - Nico - Bratt
Wood - Boyle - Lappin
No. We are not placing Rico with Hall. Not again. They were horrendous together last year except for that one 3 on 3 shift where they scored. Switch like Zacha and Rico. There is no reason to reward Henrique for playing like crap for the better part of the last month.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I've been saying this too, but I want a far more dramatic spreading to all 3 lines. The below 3rd-line could actually score goals IMO.

Hall - Henrique - Palms
Gibbons - Nico - Bratt
Wood - Boyle - Lappin

Extra Forward: Noesen

Waived: Hayes

That 2nd line is too light.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Sorry to hear about your grandfather. You didn’t miss too much though.

I still say we played a pretty good game. We were the better team.

Thank you Bleed, appreciate it.

And yeah, we've won a few games we didn't necessarily deserve to win either this season so one of these games was bound to happen. They just need to build on that strong game.

Reactions: Bleedred

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
My thoughts on last night's game:

-Bratt didn't get a shift in OT? Maybe juggle roster decisions in OT a little bit.

-Lucic's goal was soft-ish, I mean it's a 2-on-1, those goals are gonna happen. The Shipachev (sp?) goal was a snipe though.

-These games happen. Earlier in the season, we were winning games that we rightfully should have lost - now we lost a game that we rightfully should've won. Cosmic balance.

-Our PP is miserable lately.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
what it comes down to is that clutch goal scoring that was happening at the start of the year is drying up. nico should've roofed that chance in calgary when he had smith down but shot it into his pad. or wood putting the penalty shot wide. last night stafford while scoring a goal had a great chance in the 3rd i think and he didn't cash it in. nosen had that tap in goal at the end of the first didn't cash it in. at the start of the year those were going in and now they aren't. the team's offense is starting to cool off which we knew it. palm and mojo hopefully coming back soon would go a huge way to help this team.

Great Wall of Jersey

Make NJD Great Again
Mar 20, 2010
Garden State

-Bratt didn't get a shift in OT? Maybe juggle roster decisions in OT a little bit.

-Lucic's goal was soft-ish, I mean it's a 2-on-1, those goals are gonna happen. The Shipachev (sp?) goal was a snipe though.

-These games happen. Earlier in the season, we were winning games that we rightfully should have lost - now we lost a game that we rightfully should've won. Cosmic balance.

I think Bratt just touched the ice as McDavid blew by in overtime for the winner. Nico's long shift probably didn't help Bratt's chance of getting on the ice.

I agree with your assessments. These games do happen and if this was a game played in the first week of the season we probably win this one. That's why they play the games though, every game is it's own story, right Daneyko? "You know these stories, they are our stories."

I was encouraged to see we out-shot someone. I know the shots on goal stat isn't the be all end all stat and can be overrated based on shot quality, but after the St. Louis game where we got manhandled in that department, tonight was a step in the right direction. Have to keep it going against Florida and the goals will come. Getting 20-23 shots a night while giving up 35+ isn't going to cut it in this league most nights.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario

Bratt was trailing Draisatl on the 2-1 goal. He just got on the ice.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Bratt is being under-utilized at even strength. That needs to change.
He was under-utilized on the power play last night, which is my bigger issue. No way he should have been 8th in PP time when he looked like one of the most dangerous players out there. I see no reason why Hall, Hischier, and Bratt shouldn't all be on the same unit.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Hockey is a fluid game.

Bratt came out for the third shift of OT then came off due to a face off where McDavid came out. Then Hall and Hischier couldn't leave the ice. He played second line at evens but Henrique was a complete anchor last night. On the PP, he was victim of a lot of late changes by Hall which is why he was 8th in PP time.

You can't just blindly look at the stat sheet without taking the circumstances into consideration.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Hockey is a fluid game.

Bratt came out for the third shift of OT then came off due to a face off where McDavid came out. Then Hall and Hischier couldn't leave the ice. He played second line at evens but Henrique was a complete anchor last night. On the PP, he was victim of a lot of late changes by Hall which is why he was 8th in PP time.

You can't just blindly look at the stat sheet without taking the circumstances into consideration.
Who's blindly looking at stats? He was absolutely underutilized in a game where he was probably our 2nd most dangerous player, regardless of how much you want to split hairs on the exact stats.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
does someone mind listing what the two PP units were for the Devils last night?
Hall, Henrique, Palmieri, Butcher, Hayes
Hischier, Bratt, Stafford, Severson, Boyle. Noesen also played 48 seconds with this unit at some point.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Yup, Hynes tried to get Bratt out there twice in OT. The whistle blew the first time when he was stepping on. Hynes then put Hall and Hischier on after the whistle since McDavid came on the ice. Then the marathon shift occurred and Bratt could not get on. It is what it is.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
NICO really needs to work on his conditioning in the off season. I know it was a marathon shift in OT and he’s only a child, but he appears to get winded pretty quick.

Yeah that is the biggest negative to his game. I feel like he probably never had to work this hard on a game by game basis before coming to the NHL. I knew conditioning was going to be an issue with him, but is is much worse than I thought. The kid is going to need some games off down the stretch and towards the end of the year perhaps

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
That goal Cory let in wasnt THAT soft. Sure he needs to stop it and I'm sure he wants it back, but it's difficult to overly criticize goalies when giving up 2 on 1 goals. There's a lot going on in that situation.

Heck, I blame Andy Greene for a weak-azz lame stick check attempt that allowed his man to blow by him and CREATE the 2 on 1 in the first place more than I blame Cory.

You mean the first one? That one was only semi-soft - as a goalie, you don't give up the short side -and Greene played that perfectly taking away the pass.

The second one is frigging completely unexcusable. Anyone who can possibly defend that little lob from Lucic going 5-hole is insane.

If I gave that up in my beer league, the guys wouldn't talk to me for a week.

Any NHL goalie MUST have that.

Reactions: Maine Fan

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The first one was not remotely soft at all. It's 1 v 0 from close range.

On the second one, watch it from all the way back in the Devils offensive zone. The only reason there's a 2 0n 1 in the first place is because of Greene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad