GDT: Roil Rumble!: Your New Jersey Devils vs. Edmonton Oilers, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hayes isn’t quite in DSP territory yet. Or at least not 16-17 DSP territory.

Not quite yet.... the key word being yet.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The thing that does worry me with Cory is that he seems to be on an eerily similar path to that of Tuukka Rask. Rask was a .920 goalie 5 of his first 6 years, then fell off to a still respectable .915 for two years, and now is down to a .903 this year (still a small sample size of course). And Cory is going to be 32 at the end of the season. Yes, I know he doesn't have the mileage on him as your typical 31-32 year old starter, but age doesn't give a shit about mileage when it comes to losing quickness or reaction time, and Cory has seemed to have gotten dinged up more the last couple years. And by no means am I saying that Cory is going to completely fall apart or is done, but the days of him being a .920 goalie every year may be past.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
The thing that does worry me with Cory is that he seems to be on an eerily similar path to that of Tuukka Rask. Rask was a .920 goalie 5 of his first 6 years, then fell off to a still respectable .915 for two years, and now is down to a .903 this year (still a small sample size of course). And Cory is going to be 32 at the end of the season. Yes, I know he doesn't have the mileage on him as your typical 31-32 year old starter, but age doesn't give a **** about mileage when it comes to losing quickness or reaction time, and Cory has seemed to have gotten dinged up more the last couple years. And by no means am I saying that Cory is going to completely fall apart or is done, but the days of him being a .920 goalie every year may be past.
And this is why you don't give up #9 overall pick for a goalie, especially now a days.

I wonder what we would be able to get back in a trade.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
My grandfather's visitation was last night (side note, Blandisi's grandparents were there which is a whole other story but cool nonetheless) so I missed this game. Not that upset with the loss. The Oilers are still a good team and it sounds like they played very well, which is something we haven't been able to say for a while. On to the next one.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’ve made the Rask comparison recently. Rask has “Declined” the last two years, though not to the point where he’s not good. Just to the point where’s average/a bit above average.

And this is why you don't give up #9 overall pick for a goalie, especially now a days.

I don’t think that’s fair. This was a steal of a trade at the time. If Cory does turn out to be in a decline, it’s not something that should have been foreseen that long ago. Typically, a goalie doesn’t start to decline at 30 years old. People might say Cam Ward, who started declining at 28, but he was never that good anyway. Cam Ward from 2008-2012 was a pretty solid goalie. Cam Ward from 2013-2017 blows and it’s often forgotten about, but the Cam Ward from 2005-2008 also blew.

Plus, does anyone really trust that Conte would not have used that pick on Curtis Lazar or something?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Hindsight is 20/20 though. We got an elite goalie up until last year, and I don't think anybody would have predicted that he'd have that bad of a season.

Trading him now, after last season, and given his contract, we probably wouldn't get a great return. Who would want him that would have the space? Carolina just signed Darling to be their guy. Calgary maybe? Arizona?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My grandfather's visitation was last night (side note, Blandisi's grandparents were there which is a whole other story but cool nonetheless) so I missed this game. Not that upset with the loss. The Oilers are still a good team and it sounds like they played very well, which is something we haven't been able to say for a while. On to the next one.
Sorry to hear about your grandfather. You didn’t miss too much though.

I still say we played a pretty good game. We were the better team.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hindsight is 20/20 though. We got an elite goalie up until last year, and I don't think anybody would have predicted that he'd have that bad of a season.

Trading him now, after last season, and given his contract, we probably wouldn't get a great return. Who would want him that would have the space? Carolina just signed Darling to be their guy. Calgary maybe? Arizona?
The way I see it

If Cory is in fact in a decline, no one is gonna want him. That contract is an albatross if he’s gonna have mostly .90-something seasons from here on out. You’d have to pay to have someone take him or retain literally all of his salary.

And if he’s not really in decline, he can help us.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
We had two 4th lines iced tonight.

Wood-Boyle-Hayes
Gibbons-Coleman-Noesen

This team is going to be so much better when Zajac and Mojo is back. Along with Zacha out of the doghouse.
Wish everyone was healthy.

Hall Hischier Bratt
Johansson Zajac Palmieri
Henrique Zacha Stafford
Gibbons Boyle Coleman

Le-Sigh

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Yeah, for all the hot takes we've had in this thread, we actually didn't play that badly. We probably should have 3-4 goals even with the PP laying an egg, and then Cory's shit goal wouldn't have mattered.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The way I see it

If Cory is in fact in a decline, no one is gonna want him. That contract is an albatross if he’s gonna have mostly .90-something seasons from here on out. You’d have to pay to have someone take him or retain literally all of his salary.

And if he’s not really in decline, he can help us.

I still want to see Cory with a competent defense in front of him. If he's not going to be a .920 guy, but we can not give up as many chances, he can still help us win games. It's just unfortunate timing that his prime years also happened to be down years for the team. It would have been nice to have a 27-28 year old Cory now when the team is on the upswing.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I’ve made the Rask comparison recently. Rask has “Declined” the last two years, though not to the point where he’s not good. Just to the point where’s average/a bit above average.

I don’t think that’s fair. This was a steal of a trade at the time. If Cory does turn out to be in a decline, it’s not something that should have been foreseen that long ago. Typically, a goalie doesn’t start to decline at 30 years old. People might say Cam Ward, who started declining at 28, but he was never that good anyway. Cam Ward from 2008-2012 was a pretty solid goalie. Cam Ward from 2013-2017 blows and it’s often forgotten about, but the Cam Ward from 2005-2008 also blew.

Plus, does anyone really trust that Conte would not have used that pick on Curtis Lazar or something?

Cory and Rico for Wedge, Perlini, Dvorak and Dineen

Cory and Sevs for OEL

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
There is no team outside of the Metro that is really in need of a goalie right now (not Arizona, still seems like they are in tank mode). I would have said Calgary but they just had gotten Mike Smith in the offseason. Maybe Vancouver(?), isn't their goalie like Markstrom, or Detroit, but aside from that, there really is no one. In the Metro though, there are the Canes and the Flyers, and there's no way were giving Schneider to the Flyers, and the Canes just got Darling in the offseason. For the time being, it seems like as though we are going to be stuck with Cory

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Okay, I'm probably the only one who is okay with Nico passing back the puck to Hall. No way he scores from that angle as a left-handed shooter. In fact, I think passing it back was pretty clever but oh well...
That's what I thought too. If Hall had stayed with it - he clearly thought that Nico was going to shoot it -, people on the main boards would be making threads about what a great pass that was.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
True, you may not be able to run them every shift, but Hynes was deliberately matching Hischer and Hall against him, which is terrible.

Looked to me that Hall/Hischier did very well against McD/Drai in OT. The only problem was when Nico was stuck out there for over 2 minutes and was obviously gassed.
But at the same energy level, Hall/Hischier weren't outplayed one little bit by McDavid and Draisaitl.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It is so easy to criticize the Cory trade in hindsight for some. The team was in an entirely different situation at the time.

What do those who say they wish they could take that trade back suggest for goaltending then in Cory's place? Ride Marty and Moose for one more year? Because that was probably the likely scenario.

That team most likely would have been a playoff team if Marty played less. And I despise the fact I have to rehash this argument. :laugh:

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
If Noesen taps in that one on the PP and Cory doesn't let in the softy, they win easy. They played fine.
And the 3 pipes they hit and the shot that went through Talbots legs. They played a good game. Also, I thought they had two tremendous looking powerplays. The puck just did not go in. It happens.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

I am here because I am Swiss and Hischier is the best ever prospect to come out of my nation. However, the Bruins is my area of... expertise, obviously. So I can say something about Rask: I have probably seen more games from him than the combination of all NJD fans in here.

Last year, he was single handedly the most important reason why we got back to the playoffs (the next is Marchand /Pastrnak /Bergeron...). He is a very sound goalie, positionally and technically.
The major problem is that the quality of the team in front of him is much much worse than it has been. Look at the names of those who came in since 16-17 and you will understand why his save percentage stats are what they are. I mean, last year we had EIGHT rookies debut (most for the Bruins team since 1985), this year it's another 5-6 more... Our top 4D is Chara who is 40, McAvoy = rookie, Carlo = 20 yo sophomore, Krug = one of the worst plus/minus D in the whole league. Factor in that we have this year the 2nd most man games lost in the league (1st is Anaheim), mostly by top players (Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Backes, etc etc). Hell, even Rask himself was out with a concussion!
All things considered, Rask is pretty darn admirable in his performance. Truly against all odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad