OT: Rogers unveils PBP lineup for national coverage - Hughson/Simpson/Romanuk/Cole

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
If Hughson doesn't have Simpson and Healy with him, then I will enjoy him doing Leaf games, but he lowers himself with Simpson and Healy and he becomes annoying.

If Healy/Simpson join him then I want Bob Cole for all of our games on Sportsnet.

I wonder if Joe Bowen will move to TSN to continue doing the regional Leaf games along with the LeafsTV games, or if he will be purely LeafsTV/Radio

bad news pal, Healy already has a deal with SN and where Hughson goes Simpson goes

do we still get Bowen for some leafs games?

I really hope so. I like Joes irreverance

I'll take an 80 year old Bob Cole over a middle-aged Hughson,Simpson and Healy any day of the week. That crew is an embarrassment and seems to enjoy ripping the Leafs apart, no matter the score. Schadenfreude.

great word that;)

Macman

May 15, 2004
Next year is going to be so weird with all of the coverage rights switching over. I wonder what George Strombopoulos' role will be.

He will be the host, which will be enough for me to hit the mute button, if not turn the TV off entirely during the pre-game and between periods.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I believe Ron is being reduced to Coach's Corner and maybe some other stuff.

Besides Coach's Corner, he's supposed to be doing stuff from various communities during Sunday night broadcasts, sort of like what they do on Hockey Day in Canada. I've never been a fan of Ron but the thought of replacing him with Strombo makes me ill. Jeff Marek would have been a much better choice IMO.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Try providing an example? How many times does a guy have to say "Here comes a 3 on 1" when in the real world the defense actually has more pieces in play than the offense does for you to notice? The guy was doing this 20 years ago. You can try to minimize it all you want, unless you are incapable of actually following the play, it's patently obvious. Maybe some people get turned on about being told when to be excited? Some of us have eyes and can tell when to get excited.

I wouldn't worry to much about having to watch a game with me.

So Bob Cole can't count? Got it.

You know, when I hear that there's a 3-on-1 coming up and I realize it has actually turned into a 3-on-2, that just doesn't set off rage alarms in my head. Perhaps it's just me. Bob Cole may make mistakes, but he calls a more exciting game than anyone else.

I don't need someone to make the game exciting for me, but I appreciate the fact that they're adding value to the telecast rather than calling a monotonous mistake-free game. I guess some of us are too concerned with pointing out peoples' flaws.

Last edited:

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Not a fan of strombone being the host. He is a non hockey guy and even worse a habs fan. I'd rather Katherine tappen to him seriously cause she is a hockey person.

Hate Hughson doing leaf games. Did rogers not listen to any of the games he broadcast 80% of leaf fans would prefer Bowen or Cole

Hope Scott Oak Kelly Hrudey and Kevin weeks get on the broadcast

Glad to see the under rated rominuk as a play by play guy

Last edited:

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
Try providing an example? How many times does a guy have to say "Here comes a 3 on 1" when in the real world the defense actually has more pieces in play than the offense does for you to notice? The guy was doing this 20 years ago. You can try to minimize it all you want, unless you are incapable of actually following the play, it's patently obvious. Maybe some people get turned on about being told when to be excited? Some of us have eyes and can tell when to get excited.

I have scratched "eyeball11" off of my list of potential hockey-party attendees. Seems like a debbie downer.

BOB COLE - the best. BEST. THE ******* BEST.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

If you understand what's going on why do you need a commentator to explain it to you?

He's the perfect hockey voice but I don't listen to intently, it's more background noise. I trust my eyes when watching.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Please give me Bob Cole over Jim " I love the Canucks and hate the Leafs " Hughson for the leafs game. This is a time to celebrate. NO MORE HEALY :handclap::handclap::yo::yo::banana::cheers::wave::vhappy::party::dumbo::devdance::pickle:

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
If you understand what's going on why do you need a commentator to explain it to you?

He's the perfect hockey voice but I don't listen to intently, it's more background noise. I trust my eyes when watching.

Exactly.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
if you want entertainment, then brett hull, roenick, chelios then roy when colorado gets eliminated.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i think the bigger question is going to be - are the Leafs going to be relegated to Sunday nights. (I've heard rumblings that this may be so). To which I have to say.

Ahem. No.
Leafs & Saturdays go together like Oreos and Milk. don't mess with awesome.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
i think the bigger question is going to be - are the Leafs going to be relegated to Sunday nights. (I've heard rumblings that this may be so). To which I have to say.

Ahem. No.
Leafs & Saturdays go together like Oreos and Milk. don't mess with awesome.

Leafs will play a 95 game schedule - Saturday nights AND Sunday.

It's the only solution.

Wendel17

Aug 21, 2007

Daisy, where did you hear this? I would be shocked if the Leafs moved to Sunday. The Leafs on Saturday is tradition. It just makes no sense moving to Sunday.

Wendel17

Aug 21, 2007
WRT to the original topic, I am not surprised to see Hughson's name on the list as Scott Moore who is now Rogers Sports prez brought him to CBC when he was there. I am actually surprised Cole is coming back. I figured this would be his last season as I didn't think Moore was too fond of him.

It is disappointing that they could not get Chris Cuthbert in the fold. He is the best PBP man in the country. Hughson's voice is dryer than 5 day old toast. I HATE listening to him call games. I don't get what people like about him.

Cole will always be my favourite. No one can touch his voice. This new generation of PBP guys are not fit to shine his shoes.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Daisy, where did you hear this? I would be shocked if the Leafs moved to Sunday. The Leafs on Saturday is tradition. It just makes no sense moving to Sunday.

they were talking about it on the radio - they really want to make Sunday Night Hockey a thing - and the best way to do that was to move the Leafs there. nothing written though.

Oct 19, 2007
Besides Coach's Corner, he's supposed to be doing stuff from various communities during Sunday night broadcasts, sort of like what they do on Hockey Day in Canada. I've never been a fan of Ron but the thought of replacing him with Strombo makes me ill. Jeff Marek would have been a much better choice IMO.

Both Darren Millard and Jeff Marek are going to have important roles in the broadcasts.. Also include John Shannon in that..

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
they were talking about it on the radio - they really want to make Sunday Night Hockey a thing - and the best way to do that was to move the Leafs there. nothing written though.

Who was talking about it on the radio? Was it an interview with someone from Rogers like Scott Moore or was it a general sports talk radio host just wildly speculating?

Personally, I would be surprised if the Leafs didn't play some games on Sunday night. Let's say that they put the Leafs on Sunday eight times throughout the year, which would be one in three Sundays. Three or four those might be back-to-backs with Saturday games meaning that there would be four or five Saturdays without Leaf games -- which is only one or two more than what we have now.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Romanuk was and is awesome as a pbp guy.

Played golf with him a few times back in the day

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Bob Cole, senile? Nah...

he calls the play: "a long pass, and it's a breakaway for Marty St. Louis!... oh baby!!"

meanwhile the players are actually in the dressing room getting ready for the 2nd period

Last edited:

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Hughson and Simpson are probably the ones doing the late or west coast games primarily while Romanuk and Cole do the east coast games.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Please give me Bob Cole over Jim " I love the Canucks and hate the Leafs " Hughson for the leafs game. This is a time to celebrate. NO MORE HEALY :handclap::handclap::yo::yo::banana::cheers::wave::vhappy::party::dumbo::devdance::pickle:

Healy is a color commentator, not a pbp guy, so that doesn't mean he is gone, and in fact: there is a good chance that he will be hired by Rogers.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

That doesn't make sense. Why go against the NFL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad