OT: Rogers unveils PBP lineup for national coverage - Hughson/Simpson/Romanuk/Cole

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
At least Simpson and Healy are gone

Also, which two are gonna be main and which two are gonna be colour commentators?

We know nothing about whether or not Simpson and Healy are gone. These are just the play-by-play guys. Nothing has been announced about colour commentators yet.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Bowen will likely still do regional games im sure. Hughson probably gets the biggest games (probably the Leafs on any given night....). Hes had an association with Rogers before his current CBC gig. And for those hoping Healy is gone, dont get your hopes up; he also has an association with Rogers, currently and in the past.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Cole's level of bad was old over 20 years ago. I don't know if I can handle that much clueless.

For those of us that actually know the game, and can see for ourselves what is going on in the game, Cole is unmatched. The ambience and tension he creates is what makes him the best and has no ego while doing it. The rest is just details that I can easily figure out for myself. Us seasoned hockey fans LOVE Cole because he just calls the game and offers no opinions. Did you even watch the LA/Chicago series?

ALL other play by play guys make mistakes. A lot of them. They can not create 1/10th the excitement Cole does and have big egos.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Cole's level of bad was old over 20 years ago. I don't know if I can handle that much clueless.

I figured you were astute enough to know what was going on in a hockey game without having someone have to explain it to you? Cole adds excitement to the game. If you want to get bent out of shape over a wrong player name here and there or some confusion over a penalty call every once in a while, then I guess that's up to you. To me it's petty and reeks of small man syndrome. Cole is a legend and calls the game better than anyone with the exception of Cuthbert.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yup, you said that already, despite Bob Cole being one of the best of all-time and remains the best in the game right now

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
For those of us that actually know the game, and can see for ourselves what is going on in the game, Cole is unmatched. The ambience and tension he creates is what makes him the best and has no ego while doing it. The rest is just details that I can easily figure out for myself. Us seasoned hockey fans LOVE Cole because he just calls the game and offers no opinions. Did you even watch the LA/Chicago series?

ALL other play by play guys make mistakes. A lot of them. They can not create 1/10th the excitement Cole does and have big egos.

Ah...I see. It's because I don't "understand the game". LOL. Or because the grandfather in me isn't "seasoned". LOL.

He's terrible and has been so for over 2 decades. Maybe if you paid closer attention you'd notice how often his "excitement" is completely unfounded as he describes plays that aren't even occurring.

I suspect people that are enamoured by his voice are probably also able to tolerate hot but stupid. Not this guy.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I figured you were astute enough to know what was going on in a hockey game without having someone have to explain it to you? Cole adds excitement to the game. If you want to get bent out of shape over a wrong player name here and there or some confusion over a penalty call every once in a while, then I guess that's up to you. To me it's petty and reeks of small man syndrome. Cole is a legend and calls the game better than anyone with the exception of Cuthbert.

He adds excitement if you ignore what's actually happening. I would argue most of what you wrote seems petty and reeks.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
It wouldn't surprise me since they spent a bit to keep them, that Cuthbert or Gord will do regional Leaf games for TSN. Bowen will still probably get the other two though.

AFAIK, the regional games are still being produced by MLSE, so they get selection of broadcasters, not the network.

SourGrapes

You Kids Out There
Dec 30, 2013
Mimico
I like the choices. Well, I like Cole and Romanuk. Cole is, well, he's Cole. Nobody does it like Bob Cole. It's not often that I get to listen to Romanuk (Spengler is about it), but he always does a great job.

Oct 19, 2007

I could not have said it better..Thumbs up !!

Oct 19, 2007
Ah...I see. It's because I don't "understand the game". LOL. Or because the grandfather in me isn't "seasoned". LOL.

He's terrible and has been so for over 2 decades. Maybe if you paid closer attention you'd notice how often his "excitement" is completely unfounded as he describes plays that aren't even occurring.

I suspect people that are enamoured by his voice are probably also able to tolerate hot but stupid. Not this guy.

It is amazing that Rodgers don't know this and you do. You are in the wrong profession my friend. You have too much knowledge about hockey broadcasting to be on a HF message board.:sarcasm:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'll take an 80 year old Bob Cole over a middle-aged Hughson,Simpson and Healy any day of the week. That crew is an embarrassment and seems to enjoy ripping the Leafs apart, no matter the score. Schadenfreude.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Try listening to the regular NYR guys sometime.

Agreed. Sam Rosen is amazing. Class act all the way. Joe Micheletti is alright, too.

I remember one time we played the Rangers on HNIC, and the MSG crew (Rangers' local broadcast) of Rosen and Micheletti were way more fair and unbiased than the CBC trio of morons.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
He adds excitement if you ignore what's actually happening. I would argue most of what you wrote seems petty and reeks.

Yeah, try re-watching the overtime in Game 5 of the Chicago/Los Angeles series. Most notably an 8-minute stretch with no whistles. Masterful call.

It must be a chore to watch a game with you. "HE MADE A MISTAKE. DID YOU HEAR THAT HE MADE A MISTAKE EVERYONE."

What are you saying, that he gets unnecessarily excited about unexciting parts of the game? Provide me with an example. That's not Bob Cole at all. Are you thinking Doc Emrick? Peter Loubardias?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Agreed. Sam Rosen is amazing. Class act all the way. Joe Micheletti is alright, too.

I remember one time we played the Rangers on HNIC, and the MSG crew (Rangers' local broadcast) of Rosen and Micheletti were way more fair and unbiased than the CBC trio of morons.

EVERYONE is more fair and unbiased (except for Tampa, but that's okay we broke Bishop, sorry, Tampa) to the Leafs than the CBC trio of morons.

everyone makes mistakes - but the point of the PbP is to paint a picture of excitement - so you don't have to get up (or nowadays - click channels). Cole, Emrick, Cuthbert, etc - can make reading the phonebook exciting. Joe - when he's focused - is very very good.

a lot of guys try to fake it (Todd Crocker, marlies caller).

and some are very decent - Hughson.

but i have the choice to watch the finals on NBC or on CBC - I'm watching on NBC because Hughson's boring to me. I don't think he'll have the emotional oomph. Emrick will.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Yeah, try re-watching the overtime in Game 5 of the Chicago/Los Angeles series. Most notably an 8-minute stretch with no whistles. Masterful call.

It must be a chore to watch a game with you. "HE MADE A MISTAKE. DID YOU HEAR THAT HE MADE A MISTAKE EVERYONE."

What are you saying, that he gets unnecessarily excited about unexciting parts of the game? Provide me with an example. That's not Bob Cole at all. Are you thinking Doc Emrick? Peter Loubardias?

Try providing an example? How many times does a guy have to say "Here comes a 3 on 1" when in the real world the defense actually has more pieces in play than the offense does for you to notice? The guy was doing this 20 years ago. You can try to minimize it all you want, unless you are incapable of actually following the play, it's patently obvious. Maybe some people get turned on about being told when to be excited? Some of us have eyes and can tell when to get excited.

I wouldn't worry to much about having to watch a game with me.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
It is amazing that Rodgers don't know this and you do. You are in the wrong profession my friend. You have too much knowledge about hockey broadcasting to be on a HF message board.:sarcasm:

Trying to present Rogers as some fantastically all-knowing source of quality to me is about the worst defense you can make given the sheer incompetence of their company. It's almost a trademark of theirs to have piss poor quality (almost a perfect marriage with the Leafs really). There is a reason most Rogers employees I have met do not use Rogers products.

I think you just made the opposite point to what you thought you did.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Indeed. Apparently for some people it's more important to be told when they should get excited (I can usually ascertain that myself with my eyes). For others, the preference is knowledgable commentary presented in an objective manner, the kind that doesn't insult your intelligence or make you feel dumber at the end for having listened.

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
Next year is going to be so weird with all of the coverage rights switching over. I wonder what George Strombopoulos' role will be.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Next year is going to be so weird with all of the coverage rights switching over. I wonder what George Strombopoulos' role will be.

My impression is Strombo will be the host (that is, the James Duthie/Ron MacLean role). I believe Ron is being reduced to Coach's Corner and maybe some other stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad