OT: Rogers unveils PBP lineup for national coverage - Hughson/Simpson/Romanuk/Cole

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/bob-cole-among-rogers-play-by-play-team-for-nhl/

Thought this was fairly significant news considering these are guys we'll be hearing for the next 12 years. Jim Hughson, Dave Randorf, Paul Romanuk, and Bob Cole are the PBP crew for Rogers' coverage next year. So they took 2 from CBC (Hughson, Cole) and 2 from TSN (Randorf, Romanuk).

Jim Hughson... meh. He's overrated and is at Joe Buck levels of monotone. That being said, I generally don't mind him too much. Overall, he's okay. Just please dear God, keep him as far away as ****ing possible from Canuck games. He is absolutely insufferable when he's doing Canuck games. Dave Randorf is terrible... guy sounds like nails on a chalkboard. Paul Romanuk is pretty damn solid, at least from what little I heard of him doing the Spengler Cup. Bob Cole... the man may be old, senile, and forgets everyone, but he is still immortal. As Miley Cyrus would say: "He caaaaan't stop!" :laugh:

I just hope when it comes time to unveil the analysts, we hear that Simpson, Healy, Hrudey, Stock, and Weekes don't follow them to Sportsnet. I hope they get strapped to a rocket and blasted somewhere far, far away from the new TV crew.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/bob-cole-among-rogers-play-by-play-team-for-nhl/

Thought this was fairly significant news considering these are guys we'll be hearing for the next 12 years. Jim Hughson, Dave Randorf, Paul Romanuk, and Bob Cole are the PBP crew for Rogers' coverage next year. So they took 2 from CBC (Hughson, Cole) and 2 from TSN (Randorf, Romanuk).

Jim Hughson... meh. He's overrated and is at Joe Buck levels of monotone. That being said, I generally don't mind him too much. Overall, he's okay. Just please dear God, keep him as far away as ****ing possible from Canuck games. He is absolutely insufferable when he's doing Canuck games. Dave Randorf is terrible... guy sounds like nails on a chalkboard. Paul Romanuk is pretty damn solid, at least from what little I heard of him doing the Spengler Cup. Bob Cole... the man may be old, senile, and forgets everyone, but he is still immortal. As Miley Cyrus would say: "He caaaaan't stop!" :laugh:

I just hope when it comes time to unveil the analysts, we hear that Simpson, Healy, Hrudey, Stock, and Weekes don't follow them to Sportsnet. I hope they get strapped to a rocket and blasted somewhere far, far away from the new TV crew.

I've always liked Romanuk glad that he's back in Canada. He's spent the last like 10-15 years in Europe. He's always great doing the Spengler Cup. I'm kind of shocked Randorf left TSN. He's been there a long ass time.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Here's to hoping Cole gets all the Leaf games.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Romanuk is a good one. Always like his Spengler Cup calls.

Randorf is meh. Don't mind him, don't like him. He's all right.

Not a fan of Hughson... such a bore.

Cole is just simply the best.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i have to wonder why Hughson gets the 'good' stuff? like why does HE get the Final? And I don't mind him, it's just.... really - is he the best? nooo.

I wonder if we can twitter bomb someone to see if we can get Cole, even 50% of the time?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If Hughson doesn't have Simpson and Healy with him, then I will enjoy him doing Leaf games, but he lowers himself with Simpson and Healy and he becomes annoying.

If Healy/Simpson join him then I want Bob Cole for all of our games on Sportsnet.

I wonder if Joe Bowen will move to TSN to continue doing the regional Leaf games along with the LeafsTV games, or if he will be purely LeafsTV/Radio

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Hughson: Kadri comes in to take the draw and actually wins it.
Simpson: Ahahahaha.

Unbias Sports Broadcast Journalism 101, folks.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Hughson: Kadri comes in to take the draw and actually wins it.
Simpson: Ahahahaha.

Unbias Sports Journalism 101, folks.

Simpson is always surprised by something. If the Leafs are winning, he's surprised. If the Leafs are losing, it's a surprise why they are.

Always... "I'm surprised that X think is happening because Y think happened and Z thing is there... it's surprising!"

"I'm surprised that the Leafs are able to actually play well because..."

I hate that guy so much.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I don't see that as biased.

We do suck, and it is suprising when we play well.

When your job is to be an impartial broadcast journalist on a national broadcast, there's a difference between making the observation that we are a poor faceoff team and mocking us for being a poor faceoff team. At least Healy is cut-and-dry about when we're doing poorly, Hughson-Simpson is backhanded remarks which is even worse.

IBLEAF

In the sh-itter @ Scotia bank place
Nov 5, 2009
BARRY'S BAY

i miss the days of cole and Neale on Saturday nights, epic

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Bob Cole please. Please?

Every game is exciting when Bob Cole calls it.

When he retires, I will be very sad. There's really nobody that even comes close to Cole. I weep for the future of hockey play-by-play.

People get annoyed by his mistakes, but they way he calls the game is simply unmatched.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Simpson is always surprised by something. If the Leafs are winning, he's surprised. If the Leafs are losing, it's a surprise why they are.

Always... "I'm surprised that X think is happening because Y think happened and Z thing is there... it's surprising!"

I hate that guy so much.

Maybe he's just surprised that the Leafs still have an NHL team :sarcasm:

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

I hate that guy so much.

Simpson in his draft year told Leafs not to draft him, that he wouldn't report or sign. That was the year the Leafs took Wendel. They were the top rated players in that draft.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
It's depressing to me that Cuthbert won't be doing any NHL games for at least a while. IMO, he's currently the undisputed #1 national play-by-play guy in Canada. The names on this list seem quite weak without him. Gord Miller himself is probably ahead of Romanuk, who I'd list as #2 on the list behind Cole (though I think Cole is not that great anymore, his resume alone keeps him above almost everyone else). I still don't mind Hughson, but he's nowhere near the greatest currently. Randorf isn't bad, either, but he's young and raw. When the contract expires in 12 years, he might be among the best, but right now he's a very weak selection.

Re: Bowen, I'm pretty sure he's still signed with MLSE, so he'll broadcast all the regional telecasts still (ie: games that aren't on Saturday and Wednesday), so he'll still be on all three networks (TSN, Sportsnet and LeafsTV.

There's probably confusion on the whole "no more regional broadcasts" thing Rogers said when the deal was completed, but those were only for the games they were going to broadcast nationally as part of HNIC (again, Saturday and Wednesday games only). There'll still be regional games during the other days of the week.

Z0S0

May 28, 2007
Campbellford
Re: Bowen, I'm pretty sure he's still signed with MLSE, so he'll broadcast all the regional telecasts still (ie: games that aren't on Saturday and Wednesday), so he'll still be on all three networks (TSN, Sportsnet and LeafsTV.

It wouldn't surprise me since they spent a bit to keep them, that Cuthbert or Gord will do regional Leaf games for TSN. Bowen will still probably get the other two though.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
At least Simpson and Healy are gone

Also, which two are gonna be main and which two are gonna be colour commentators?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad