News Article: Roenick: Sharks' Marleau not one of 'locker room favorites'

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
You could've said the same thing about Thornton in mid-November into December. The only reason why the minus is even there for him instead of Thornton is because Thornton is given better opportunities overall. But did you have these types of scathing remarks when Thornton was struggling? No. Do you even acknowledge the defensive issues that go with Thornton or the coasting he does or the fact that he is a selfish player when he forces a pass instead of taking a shot in a prime scoring area? The fact that he never digs in on a faceoff even if it's a defensive situation? No? Then you're just biased about how you see things and it just depends on who you like and who you don't. Those opinions mean significantly less when one wants to talk about holding players to standards.

Ridiculous. Better opportunities? The have the same PP time per game and has more PP points than Joe. Thornton has been exponentially better 5-on-5. To compare that is a joke. The players that have skated with Marleau have better plus/minus and Ward has almost caught him in points.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ridiculous. Better opportunities? The have the same PP time per game and has more PP points than Joe. Thornton has been exponentially better 5-on-5. To compare that is a joke. The players that have skated with Marleau have better plus/minus and Ward has almost caught him in points.

He's played with Pavelski all year, dude. Give me a break. I don't care what stats you want to throw out there. Marleau doesn't play with anyone this year at Pavs' level let alone for any length of time so get that crap out of here that he hasn't gotten better opportunities at even strength. There are many reasons why Thornton is better at 5 on 5 and some of it is him being a better offensive player but some of it is due to playing with better talent in better situations.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
No way marleau and pavs get anywhere near jumbo And pavs.

I don't really have a horse in this race but if you were to just watch the two jumbo seems to give the higher effort level. But could just be perception.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
He's a well rounded player with elite physical tools (size, speed etc) but he doesn't have an elite skillset. You don't score that many goals and points if you don't give a **** and or lazy. Maybe he's not one of the boys and not everyone's pal but as long as he's not a cancer...who cares.

I know it's only rumors, but its not DW shopping him. His agent is trying to find a trade (By the rumors, but for me where there's smoke there's fire). If that's the case, then Marleau cares. He's the one that wants out and AFAIC if you don't want to wear the teal, then I don't want you to either.

[Edit] and I only say this, IF the rumors are true.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I guess I don't count then.

I don't think Marleau always gives his best nor are all the dips in his play due to bad luck. I think that's a strawman bc I haven't seen ppl say that. Not even PF who is probably Marleau's biggest fan.

I think always giving your best and only having dips in your play be due to bad luck is a ridiculously high standard for any player (or anyone in any job). Patty slacks off sometimes. So do Thornton, Pavs, Burns, Couture, Vlasic, and any other player you can name. Maybe it's bc he's playing with an injury, a cold, after little sleep, a fight with his wife, a sick kid, being PO'd at linemates, being PO'd at DW, having an off day or brain fog that day, whatever.

Whether Marleau's play is consistent enough is debatable. I think it makes sense to talk about that even if ppl here are unlikely to ever agree about it.

There was some hyperbole in my post. Point is some people view patty one way and others view him a different way.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
There are two types of patty marleau fans:

Those that feel he is always giving his best effort and his dips in his play are caused by bad luck or something similar.

Those that think he doesn't put forward his best effort on a consistent enough basis and that leads to his play not being its best.

I'm somewhere in between. I think slumps are a combination of bad breaks and often begin with bad play leading to overthinking and bad habits.

I think the problem is there are fans who literally think someone has a slump because they don't care and that is just stupid. If you've played hockey, or really any sport for that matter, you know there will be times in every season where things don't go your way. Kane, Crosby, Ovie, Toews, and everyone else has them and those guys are all much more talented that Patty. Sports are very mental. You can cry about it saying they're professionals and they get paid millions but it doesn't change the truth that they're humans and they have many things happening in their lives at work and at home. Fans often expect them to be robots, skating 100% on every shift of ever game which is simply unrealistic. You're lucky if you find that from some fringe guys who need to do that to keep a job in the NHL let alone star players who've been in the league for 15-16+ years.

Marleau without Thornton would be a career 30 goals 60-65 point guy. Only bringing in Thornton did he appear to be a 40 goal, 80 point player.

Yes he has bad games, and even bad weeks, but I still generally see him skating, and making smart plays in almost every single game. Sure he coasts sometimes. So does Thornton, Couture and Burns. Marleau is in no way a god but he deserves more credit than a lot or people on here give him. Or maybe not so much that he deserves more credit, but he deserves a lot less bashing.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
There was some hyperbole in my post. Point is some people view patty one way and others view him a different way.

I think there are more than two camps but my main objection was that the hyperbole was one-sided. There are some ppl who will almost always defend Marleau and others who will grab at opportunities to criticize him regardless of how fair it is. Both go overboard at times IMO. But there is also a large group of posters who don't fit either category IMO. They probably don't post as often bc the Marleau wars can be tiring and don't seem to get anywhere.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Marleau is a streaky player. Has been since he was 18. When he's not scoring, it's effort according to most. When he is scoring, it becomes "see, if he put this type of effort forward all the time he would be a hofer".

Let's face it, he's a very good, but streaky player whose effort is only questioned because he doesn't fight, hit, or show his emotions to the media. Effort and preparation have never been a concern. Players with over 1,000 pts in this sport come few and far between.

richo

Mar 14, 2011
Bay Area
Marleau is a streaky player. Has been since he was 18. When he's not scoring, it's effort according to most. When he is scoring, it becomes "see, if he put this type of effort forward all the time he would be a hofer".

Let's face it, he's a very good, but streaky player whose effort is only questioned because he doesn't fight, hit, or show his emotions to the media. Effort and preparation have never been a concern. Players with over 1,000 pts in this sport come few and far between.

Agreed. My complaint with Marleau has always been how inconsistent he is - moreso than most other guys. He definitely has the skillset, but he's not a leader and using him as one of your key components probably has not been a good idea. If he had been utilized and valued more appropriately, as a cog in the team but not as someone you build around, throughout his career we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. Other players, especially younger guys, probably expect more leadership from him given the role the organization has given him throughout his career. That could be the locker room problem. Given that he is not the vocal, rah - rah type of guy may rub them the wrong way.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Agreed. My complaint with Marleau has always been how inconsistent he is - moreso than most other guys. He definitely has the skillset, but he's not a leader and using him as one of your key components probably has not been a good idea. If he had been utilized and valued more appropriately, as a cog in the team but not as someone you build around, throughout his career we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. Other players, especially younger guys, probably expect more leadership from him given the role the organization has given him throughout his career. That could be the locker room problem. Given that he is not the vocal, rah - rah type of guy may rub them the wrong way.
I don't really see an inconsistency in his game. I think most people say he disappears because he's never been a big-time playmaker. He looks to score first, and most of his assists come from rebounds and scoring opportunities he generated. Joe doesn't have that same rep because even when he's going through a bad stretch of games, you see his assist totals and remember a few great plays that led to goals and often forget the shortcomings.

I do agree that Marleau probably shouldn't have been captain and that he's more of a secondary piece than the guy, but he's still the 2nd-best player from his draft class.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
I think if you asked any other team would they want Marleau's entire career at his contract value and draft position and zero-baggage personality, they'd say yes in a heartbeat.

Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau's only career blemish is that they haven't won a cup. All-time statistics? Check. Olympic Golds? Check. Can you imagine if instead of staying in SJ for their careers, they merc out like Bourque and go win a cup in Chicago? JT gets put back in the generational talent conversation, and Marleau probably makes the HoF.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Hmm, lets see the quote again.

“He’s still very, very good and very effective. But, I don’t see him being one of the locker room favorites. So, if they get rid of him, I don’t think it’s going to make a huge impact with the team,â€

I don't understand the amount of hate Roenick gets for this. Marleau being on the quiet side and reserved more so than the others I would be very shocked if he would be one of the locker room favorites. The quiet more reserved ones rarely are.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

I'm seeing similarities between Marleau and Pacioretty more and more, as time goes on, especially with regards to leadership and "effort."

“He’s still very, very good and very effective. But, I don’t see him being one of the locker room favorites. So, if they get rid of him, I don’t think it’s going to make a huge impact with the team,”

I don't understand the amount of hate Roenick gets for this. Marleau being on the quiet side and reserved more so than the others I would be very shocked if he would be one of the locker room favorites. The quiet more reserved ones rarely are.

It's because Roenick goes out of his way to degrade Marleau on a consistent basis. He may be right here, but the qualm that most people have isn't necessarily these specific comments, rather than the drivel he constantly puts out there to bash Marleau.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

“He’s still very, very good and very effective. But, I don’t see him being one of the locker room favorites. So, if they get rid of him, I don’t think it’s going to make a huge impact with the team,â€

The idea that one's popularity is what impacts the team is stupid on the face of it. The fact that he's one of the best four forwards on a team that only has really four great forwards will have an impact on the team if it is lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad