News Article: Roenick: Sharks' Marleau not one of 'locker room favorites'

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
In an interview with local radio station KNBR, Roenick indicated that were the Sharks to move Marleau, it would be met with a sense of indifference in the dressing room.

“He’s still very, very good and very effective. But, I don’t see him being one of the locker room favorites. So, if they get rid of him, I don’t think it’s going to make a huge impact with the team,” Roenick said. “But, what they get back in return could be a huge impact. As good of a player as he is, Joe Thornton is the most popular player in the locker room, by far. I think Joe Pavelski and Logan Couture are right behind him. When you have a guy that’s been in that locker room his whole career and he is not thought of like that, that raises questions.”

Roenick said: “It’s definitely a sign when your team loses at home and wins on the road. It means it’s a team that’s not very mentally strong and has the ability to take their foot off the pedal. I love San Jose, it’s one of my favorite teams in the league, and it really frustrates me when they get in front of their own fans, they throw up goose eggs, they throw up dog games. They are struggling with attendance right now because they are losing at home. But when they leave, they come together and they become one and win hockey games.

“That tells me that there is good, quality guys in the locker room that love to come together and play for each other. But, they’re selfish and individualistic when it comes to being at home and being able to focus on the team, rather than themselves and their home life. They need to able to separate the two of them.”

http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/roenick-sharks-marleau-not-one-locker-room-favorites

Last edited by a moderator:

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
He's not wrong. Marleau is a liability that should've gotten traded 5 years ago. Now we'd be lucky to get a 2nd for him.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Joe Thornton refused to sign his extension with the Sharks in 2014 until they also agreed to terms with Marleau. That doesn't sound like something you would do with a player you didn't love playing with. And I couldn't give two ***** about anyone in the Sharks locker room's opinion of Marleau other than Thornton.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Joe Thornton refused to sign his extension with the Sharks in 2014 until they also agreed to terms with Marleau. That doesn't sound like something you would do with a player you didn't love playing with. And I couldn't give two ***** about anyone in the Sharks locker room's opinion of Marleau other than Thornton.

This. While I wouldn't go quite as far as you said about not caring about other players' opinions, if Marleau were as nothing as Roenick is portraying, why would Jumbo care if Marleau was re-signed? If Marleau was a big negative for other players, I'd care but even Roenick isn't saying that and he seems to still have a grudge toward Marleau.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Literally ends all credibility on Roenick's part.

But it's not as if we needed anything to do that. Roenick is an idiot.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Jesus, he always ends up talking about Marleau whenever he talks about San Jose. Dude needs new material.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
This. While I wouldn't go quite as far as you said about not caring about other players' opinions, if Marleau were as nothing as Roenick is portraying, why would Jumbo care if Marleau was re-signed? If Marleau was a big negative for other players, I'd care but even Roenick isn't saying that and he seems to still have a grudge toward Marleau.

I can give you a perfectly reasonable explanation. If the Sharks didn't sign Marleau then they would lose a semi-elite player for nothing and it would indicate that the Sharks were in a big rebuild mode. They needed each other. If that were the case then why should Joe sign on when he's a UFA that could go to a contender.

This isn't a Marlov-Jumbo love affair.

Last edited:

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I don't think I've ever seen JR do an intermission of a NBC game and not bring up Patty. I wonder what he did to him.

boylerroom

Jan 2, 2012
PRofKA
baby-crying-o.gif.cf.gif

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
JR and Marleau obviously didnt get along for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Unrequited bromance perhaps?

He's still not over Marleau pretty much brushing him off after Roenick's surprise visit to Marleau's house or whatever that story was. Roenick is just a loudmouth attention seeker. His opinion is worthless here.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I can give you a perfectly reasonable explanation. If the Sharks didn't sign Marleau then they would lose a semi-elite player for nothing and it would indicate that the Sharks were in a big rebuild mode. They needed each other. If that were the case then why should Joe sign on when he's a UFA that could go to a contender.

This isn't a Marlov-Jumbo love affair.

I didn't think I implied that it was. I agree that part of the reason that Thornton wanted Marleau to re-sign was bc it was an indication that the Sharks were trying to win and also Jumbo's vote of confidence in Marleau as a help to the Sharks. As you say, they needed each other.

But if Thornton didn't like playing with Marleau, I doubt that Thornton would wait until Marleau re-signed before he re-signed. I was agreeing with the statement that Jumbo seems to like to play with Patty. I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with here.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
So are we all just completely dismissing Roenick's comments and putting our hands over our ears singing "LALALALALA" because Marleau is some fan favorite?

I'm mostly dismissing it bc Roenick seems to have some kind of grudge against Patty. If I heard the same thing from players who got along with Marleau or didn't seem to have strong feelings about him either way, I'd give it more credence.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So are we all just completely dismissing Roenick's comments and putting our hands over our ears singing "LALALALALA" because Marleau is some fan favorite?

So are you just believing it for no real reason? I mean, that's just as cool and valid too you know.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

I might believe it if Jeremy didn't whine about Marleau every time hes on air.

And again, Roenick is speculating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad