Rocket Watch Thread

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He has been absolutely dynamite lately eventhough he hasn't scored in the last couple of games. A force on both ends of the ice, completely different player to what he was in the first half of the season where in some games I felt he was liability in his own zone. Not anymore. My guess is that the rocket race will come down to if he can feast on some of the weaker teams the Jets will be playing to end the season but I don't really care considering his overall game is so much better now.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Otherwise I agree, but his shot has been a tad off in the last few games. And I’m not meaning just those posts, as that is just unlucky, but he has in fact been shooting several shots quite badly wide or high, which didn’t really happen as much during his hot streak. I think injuries might make it much easier to loose some of the accuracy that he has at best. At least so far this has been the case after his injuries last season and this season.

Otherwise he has definitely looked lately quite dominant with his skating and puck control.

Well, he's a mere mortal after all, can't be shooting 50% all the time... there was a couple chances in the game against the Preds where I expected a goal but it didn't happen... Laine shooting at his best would've scored a goal or two in that game I bet, but he had a very strong game and IMO nothing in the way he played suggested any sort of injury. Yes, it's always possible there's a little bit of something that might affect it, heck even the ankle thing might nag him enough while shooting to have some effect, but I'd say it's more about flow/confidence. During his hot streak his every shot looked like it was destined for goal, but that streak got broken with the injury and now it looks a bit more like he's trying to score, which is how most people do it ... I mean if he had kept up his hot streak pace for the reminder of the season, he would've ended up with 55-65 goals.... it was a spectacular stretch of 15 games, rarely do you see a player completely dominate the result of every half decent scoring chance he gets like Laine seemed to do. Can't keep that up forever, if he could he'd end up scoring 100+ a season. But the way he is playing, unless he gets completely snake bitten and everything going against him, he's gonna score a few more. I doubt that's enough for rocket, though it could be... but if can sneak in a multigoal game or two in there, or even a hat trick, that very well could do it - his play is definitely at a level where that could easily happen any game.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Laine is starting to show brief flashes of how he will dominate in this league in a few years. He is still learning. He is still very much growing into his body too.
Besides his goal scoring, I wasn't a very big fan of his game this year until about 15 games ago.
If Maurice or Wheeler or someone gave him a kick in the arse, it sure helped.
Laine, Buff, Helle and Connor all on their game in the same game is formidable...and then there's those other guys.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
He needs to start treating all Finnish goalies (Rinne, Rask, Saros) like he does Lehtonen. Find other than against Lehtonen his shooting is a little off, but different quality goalies for sure.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Laine is starting to show brief flashes of how he will dominate in this league in a few years. He is still learning. He is still very much growing into his body too.
Besides his goal scoring, I wasn't a very big fan of his game this year until about 15 games ago.
Laine, Buff, Helle and Connor all on their game in the same game is formidable...and then there's those other guys.
Laine is such a high quality ambitious and hard working player that I don’t see any need for anyone else giving him a kick in the arse than himself. He is very tough on himself and can never be accused for being lazy or for the lack of trying.

His summer training was such that his legs just started really working properly only a while ago. He and his trainer said already in the beginning of the season that this would most likely happen, so it went just simply like they told us it could very well go.

Sure Maurice has said to Laine something about keeping himself more constantly in motion. But that was really more like advice for what kind of playstyle can help him be more efficient, not about him lacking effort in general. He is just such a big body, that he will make it tougher for himself in many situations, if he will too often completely slow down or even completely stop on the ice, and then will have to make his big body get again to the higher speed from slower speed or even complete stop. I think this was more like a natural advice to make Laine’s play a bit more economical and efficient.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Otherwise I agree, but his shot has been a tad off in the last few games. And I’m not meaning just those posts, as that is just unlucky, but he has in fact been shooting several shots quite badly wide or high, which didn’t really happen as much during his hot streak. I think injuries might make it much easier to loose some of the accuracy that he has at best. At least so far this has been the case after his injuries last season and this season.

Otherwise he has definitely looked lately quite dominant with his skating and puck control.

Yeah, he's been so strong with the puck and his back checking has been powerful as well. Looks to round up his game nicely.
He's not really had that much time with the shots in the last couple of games and the sample sizes are so small (just a couple of non-blocked shots per game) that I put it totally down to variance. I'm not one for over-analysing every shot or trying to see trends in there :)

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

As far as the Rocket goes, well everyone is human and scorers go through streaks of goal scoring, and I have to keep reminding myself that this human is 19 years old playing against men that have been doing this for a decade or more.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
IMG_0766.jpg

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Today's watch

Ovechkin plays in New York (7GR)
Laine does not play (7GR)
Malkin does not play (6GR)
Seguin does not play (6GR)
Staal does not play (7GR)
Karlsson plays Avalanche at home (7GR)
McDavid does not play (6GR)
MacKinnon plays in Vegas (7GR)
Lee plays the Panthers at home (7GR)
Kucherov plays Coyotes at home (7GR)

*After tomorrow's games I'll reduce rocket tracking to the top 5*

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Ovi has 45. He scores more goals against the Rags than any other team. Pavs in, expect a couple.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Today's watch

Ovechkin does not play (6GR)
Laine plays Bruins at home (7GR)
Malkin plays in Detroit (6GR)
Karlsson does not play (6GR)
McDavid plays Blue Jackets at home (6GR)
Staal plays in Nashville (7GR)
Seguin plays Flyers at home (6GR)
Kucherov does not play (6GR)
MacKinnon does not play (6GR)
Lee plays in Ottawa (6GR)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad