Robin Lehner

BigBush*

And If Lehner turns into a starter and Colin White never becomes a NHL regular this could become one of the most lopsided trade in history. Things like this go both ways, can't tell before a couple years. It's still up in the air whats going to happen.

true. im not a big believer in Lehner, one bit. but you never know

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
A lot of people don't understand just how bad his concussion last year was. It was really, really bad. I'm not surprised at all that he's really rusty right now.

I'm not a Lehner guy to be honest, I think he's a bit of a head case and I don't like his attitude, but he needs more slack than a couple of preseason games. He's still not 100% from that nasty concussion.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Lehner's biggest problem is between his ears. He's his own worst enemy in how he let's his bad games get to him and how he handles that pressure by lashing out at his teammates.

If he can get that under control, he has all the ability to be a #1 goaltender. Thus far, he hasn't.

He wore out his welcome with his teammates here. Hopefully, he's matured and he can forge his own path with the Sabres.

Oh, and he has an incredibly weird relationship with his dad. IMO, it's a huge part of why he hasn't succeeded yet.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
he got a shutout vs the leafs no?

That's what I came here to say. I watched that game and thought he was very good. But like everyone else, I soured on Lehner over the last two seasons. He cost Ottawa a number of games with soft deflating goals. On the other hand, he's only 23 or 24. You have to give him time.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
That's what I came here to say. I watched that game and thought he was very good. But like everyone else, I soured on Lehner over the last two seasons. He cost Ottawa a number of games with soft deflating goals. On the other hand, he's only 23 or 24. You have to give him time.

I posted several times how his stats have actually been on par with other great star goalies now when they were younger, it's probably what landed us the 1st.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'm probably in the minority who think trading for Lehner was a perfectly fine risk to take with a 21st overall pick. The only difference between risking that pick on a prospect and risking it on Lehner, is that Lehenr is NHL ready. It is the same type of risk, since the Sabres will have control over Lehner as an RFA, and if anything players are much easier to project at Lehner's age than they are at 18. Look at the Senators scouting record in the first and second round since 2008. They pretty much don't miss on those high picks. Tim Murray played a part in that.

If you're expecting Lehner to come in and be a .915 goalie behind the worst place NHL team last season, or if you're insane enough to expect him to come in and be an elite goalie, you'll be hugely disappointed. He's 23 years old. There were probably other goalies who would have been a bit better right away, but the difference is that Lehner has potential to be better than those options a few years down the line and he can grow with the Sabres.

There are some huge red flags with him. Lots of speculation about poor attitude, him being a headcase, etc.

In 13-14 he had a .913 save percentage in 36 games behind a Senators team where everything was going wrong. Prior to that, he had 17 games of .930 hockey over two seasons. Because of this, there was a contingent of Senators fans who were SUPER high on him up until mid way through the 14-15 season. If you went back in time and told them he'd be traded before the 2015-2016 season they'd jump off a bridge.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I wouldn't doubt Tim Murray. Laugh all you want at me for praising him every chance I get, but if lehner doesn't work out it doesn't even matter. It was a chance worth taking and a better goalie will be brought in. No risk no reward. You wanna sit around and take the safe route? Enjoy mediocrity.
Complain about the high pick given up but if it doesn't work out then every Buffalo pick during that time will be higher.
Tim Murray is smarter than all of us, it's ok to admit it.

In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Tim, Amen.

e2M8Fug.jpg

Last edited:

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
NHL goalie prospects all need that one key ingredient to put them over the top to make them a starter: mental focus. So many with talent, but how do they handle the pressure?

Lehner is known as a hothead, but has improved over the years in that regard. If he takes the next step towards Zen, he'll be a great goalie.

50/50 chance at best he does that.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Hi all, Sabres fan here.

Please help. Lehner has been horrible with Buffalo so far. Please please please tell me something good about this guys play. I havent really seen him before, and I, and a great many of my fellow Sabre fans, are starting to panic.
Something good is, you got him and we don’t! :naughty:

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Their defense is going to just kill that team. Not atrocious defensive coverage wise, but just nobody to get the puck out of the zone (If you dont consider that defense)

How well would the Sens be with three pairings of Borowiecki-Gryba and a great top 6? Nobody could make a break out pass let alone skate the puck out of the zone. They are in for some tough times there in Buffalo.

I would dangle Reinhart and some picks to see what kind of puck mover you could get.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Their defense is going to just kill that team. Not atrocious defensive coverage wise, but just nobody to get the puck out of the zone (If you dont consider that defense)

How well would the Sens be with three pairings of Borowiecki-Gryba and a great top 6? Nobody could make a break out pass let alone skate the puck out of the zone. They are in for some tough times there in Buffalo.

I would dangle Reinhart and some picks to see what kind of puck mover you could get.

Franson would be the 2nd best puck mover on the Sens blueline after Karlsson so thats pretty decent guy to have.

Ristolainen is going to be a great defensemen, missing some experience but he can move the puck really well.

Bogosian has no problem getting a puvk out of the zone either.

They have plenty of guys who can make a pass and their defense is not nearly as bad as you make it IMO. These 3 guys are light years ahead of Cowen and Boro offensively speaking.

BigBush*

Franson would be the 2nd best puck mover on the Sens blueline after Karlsson so thats pretty decent guy to have.

Ristolainen is going to be a great defensemen, missing some experience but he can move the puck really well.

Bogosian has no problem getting a puvk out of the zone either.

They have plenty of guys who can make a pass and their defense is not nearly as bad as you make it IMO. These 3 guys are light years ahead of Cowen and Boro offensively speaking.

Ceci can move the puck better then Franson. Perhaps Wideman as well, Franson aint all that good

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Ceci can move the puck better then Franson. Perhaps Wideman as well, Franson aint all that good

That comment is laughable for couple reasons. First, Franson has been 25th in offensive production for the past 3 seasons in the NHL and led an incompetent Leafs blue line with no help whatsoever in that span.

Then, Ceci is not even 2nd on this team and Wideman isn't either our best offensive defensemen after Karlsson because Wiercioch is. Ceci has yet to show what he can do offensively in the NHL, never mind him being better than Wiercioch and nevermind Franson at this point and time in their respective career. When Ceci will be able to produce offensively and be top 25 for 3 years whe can talk about it.

And how is a defensemen who has never played an NHL game better than one of the top 30 best offensive defensemen in the league? That's pretty funny honestly. It's not even clear if Wideman will be able to keep a roster spot this season and yet he's better than Franson.

Yost posted an article on Franson saying how good he's been offensively in the last 3 seasons(minus time in Nashville where he was not used properly) but I cant find it. (I'll post it when I do) and he explain how a team is generally MUCH better offensively when Franson is on the ice.

I love how you always post things like this Just like the Lehner comment yesterday... no statistical of any proof of what you say just a nowhere comment proving nothing.

BigBush*

That comment is laughable for couple reasons. First, Franson has been 25th in offensive production for the past 3 seasons in the NHL and led an incompetent Leafs blue line with no help whatsoever in that span.

Then, Ceci is not even 2nd on this team and Wideman isn't either our best offensive defensemen after Karlsson because Wiercioch is. Ceci has yet to show what he can do offensively in the NHL, never mind him being better than Wiercioch and nevermind Franson at this point and time in their respective career. When Ceci will be able to produce offensively and be top 25 for 3 years whe can talk about it.

And how is a defensemen who has never played an NHL game better than one of the top 30 best offensive defensemen in the league? That's pretty funny honestly. It's not even clear if Wideman will be able to keep a roster spot this season and yet he's better than Franson.

Yost posted an article on Franson saying how good he's been offensively in the last 3 seasons(minus time in Nashville where he was not used properly) but I cant find it. (I'll post it when I do) and he explain how a team is generally MUCH better offensively when Franson is on the ice.

I love how you always post things like this Just like the Lehner comment yesterday... no statistical of any proof of what you say just a nowhere comment proving nothing.
Whoa, take it easy,your taking what I said way out of context. Offensively ya Franson can put up points, but strictly puck moving hes not that great which is what I was commenting on. Ceci is better and Wideman could be better strictly at puck moving.

There's a reason why Franson, one of the higher producing defenseman in the last several years, had a hard time finding a contract this year

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Whoa, take it easy,your taking what I said way out of context. Offensively ya Franson can put up points, but strictly puck moving hes not that great which is what I was commenting on. Ceci is better and Wideman could be better strictly at puck moving.

There's a reason why Franson, one of the higher producing defenseman in the last several years, had a hard time finding a contract this year

Well, we simply don't agree.

BigBush*

Well, we simply don't agree.

I'm not even sure what we disagree about. Franson IMO is comparable to Weircoch. He can make a decent first pass and has good offensive instincts but I don't feel hes a great skater that can carry the puck well

BigBush*

He's decent that's about it

Ya i agree with that. Still very young, but I think he's an NHL player who should be playing in the NHL. Hes a big guy who wins most of his puck battles so that's good. He makes rookie mistakes though.

Ideally he'd be playing with a veteran partner like Methot but Ottawa doesn't have that option right now

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014

This whole argument is laughable because it shows you just don't know Franson's game at all. He's not a great puck mover at all, unless you measure "puck moving ability" as how fast he can move the puck from the blueline to the net. He doesn't rush or pass the puck up ice particularly well - no better than Wiercioch, for sure.

I'm not criticizing Franson, but what you're describing just isn't how he plays the game.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Those go completely hand and hand im sorry but this comment makes no sense.

Lehner... Yikes I want Tim Murray to do well but that was not a move I liked from his perspective.

Lehner loves to point the finger which to me is a sign of immaturity, he has horrible rebound control and is weak on shots down low in tight.

He is actually a very good first shot goaltender but after that its pretty messy. I dont see him ever projecting to be a starter in the NHL his mental make up just doesnt add up to a successful NHL career. A goaltender in the NHL needs to be strong mentally never get too high or get too low Lehner is very up and down.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
This whole argument is laughable because it shows you just don't know Franson's game at all. He's not a great puck mover at all, unless you measure "puck moving ability" as how fast he can move the puck from the blueline to the net. He doesn't rush or pass the puck up ice particularly well - no better than Wiercioch, for sure.

I'm not criticizing Franson, but what you're describing just isn't how he plays the game.

Where in all my text have I talked about puck moving? AND where in all my text have I explained how Franson plays? This is basic reading skills we're talking about. The only thing I have said is that he IS FACTUALLY a top 25 offensive defensemen in the last 3 seasons. Now this is laughable.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad