Robin Lehner

Bonlarvis

Feb 4, 2015
Hamburg NY
Hi all, Sabres fan here.

Please help. Lehner has been horrible with Buffalo so far. Please please please tell me something good about this guys play. I havent really seen him before, and I, and a great many of my fellow Sabre fans, are starting to panic.

Thank you to anyone responding.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Lehner is either horrible or great. Mostly horrible but sometimes will have a month of being great. He just needs games, especially since he's played so little in the last year.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
If he wasn't streaky, he would have cost far more than a mid 1st rounder.

Lehner is a hyper competitive guy who has a hard time listening. Give him enough time/games and a coach he respects and I'm sure the maturity/consistency will follow.

Unfortunately, I can't be certain it will happen. I thought, for about a month after the trade, he would adjust his attitude and get some perspective but then he spouted off some horse **** about "Ottawa not giving him a chance...etc.." which killed all the hope I had for his maturity and attitude.

Apparently he hasn't learned a thing. The problem with Lehner isn't skill/ability it is his mental game.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Hi all, Sabres fan here.

Please help. Lehner has been horrible with Buffalo so far. Please please please tell me something good about this guys play. I havent really seen him before, and I, and a great many of my fellow Sabre fans, are starting to panic.

and another un patient person added to my quote book....

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Lehner will most likely just be goalie that you can win with, but not a goalie that will steal you playoff series like Rask, Lundqvist or Price can.

BigBush*

Not to sound like a jerk,but you absolutely should be panicking. Hes not a good goalie. He may put it all together but its just as likely if not more so that he was another hyped young goalie that busted

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Talented headcase. His game has plateaued, and he has some serious flaws in it still, but it can be salvaged with hard work if he decides to do it. Has the athletic ability to stop pucks many can't - has great numbers against high percentage chances and poor numbers with pedestrian opportunities. Super competitive, cocky, and stubborn. Probably the best goalie prospect Ottawa ever had. The organization gave in to his and his agents' pressure to move him to the NHL and in doing so he has missed an opportunity to stop a lot of pucks in the minors and develop - he complains about not getting the net but his net was in the AHL and he forced his way onto the NHL bench. One of those 'you made your bed, now sleep in it' situations. If we hadn't of signed O'Connor I'd be freaking out about losing him as a prospect - but his game the last year has not impressed me terribly.

BigBush*

If Colin White turns out this could end up being one of the most lopsided trades in history

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
If Colin White turns out this could end up being one of the most lopsided trades in history

Most lopsided since... who was that tall goalie we traded for that little guy with the beard? ;)

(also, I'd kinda like to see what Cameron could do with Conacher rather than MacLean... Mac didn't dig the young guns... of course Cameron isn't sure about Hoff so maybe nothing much would be different)

BigBush*

Most lopsided since... who was that tall goalie we traded for that little guy with the beard? ;)

(also, I'd kinda like to see what Cameron could do with Conacher rather than MacLean... Mac didn't dig the young guns... of course Cameron isn't sure about Hoff so maybe nothing much would be different)

Haha man that's a great point, that trade was brutal. Dont think Cameron could of done anything with Conacher. He was an AHL player who got a ton of value from playing with Stamkos and St Louis

Bonlarvis

Feb 4, 2015
Hamburg NY
and another un patient person added to my quote book....

How and why? I stated that I've never seen him play, until very recently.

The season starts in less than 1 week, he is supposed to be our number 1 goaltender, and he has been absolutely dreadful.

I have buckets of patience, having suffered through a 3-yearlong rebuild/tank, Darcy Regier, John Rigas etc.

Am I missing something?

BigBush*

The season starts in less than 1 week, he is supposed to be our number 1 goaltender, and he has been absolutely dreadful.

I have buckets of patience, having suffered through a 3-yearlong rebuild/tank, Darcy Regier, John Rigas etc.

Am I missing something?
Tread carefully. Your going to get a lot of unhonest opinions from Leher fan boys on here

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Talented, with shows of brilliance. A couple of seasons ago.

Very inconsistent recently, and definitely more on the mental side.
Some very nasty flaws in his game (soft goals)

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

Am I missing something?

Lehner is like a more mobile, bigger, more skilled Ray Emery. Have patience and he'll be good. Maybe great. Or he could turn out skunky and leave you wondering if you sanitized the carboy.

Enjoy the show, and hopefully you get one more year of top 5 draft pick. Then judge Lehner.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hi all, Sabres fan here.

This is not unexpected. Actually it is a bit he's normally lights out the first time he plays but it's been long time so maybe this is diff.

The thing about Lehner is once he starts rolling then he's excellent and we've never really seen him go with it cause when he was in Ottawa, a lot of the time he started rolling we'd bench him because Anderson is our number 1.

My conclusion is this: wait until he starts getting hot and if still shows signs of extreme streakiness in next 20 games then panic but even then have like 10% of hope cause he's still young.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Hi all, Sabres fan here.

He has good penmanship.

From a hockey perspective some fans here thought/think he is the second coming of Carey Price while others (like me) think that he will top out as an average starter at best. The fire he had while leading a Bingo team to the AHL title seems to be working against him right now. The best road to realizing whatever potential he has is to chill out a bit and get better at the mental aspects of the position.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I think Lehner wasn't a good fit for Buffalo at this stage in their rebuild. Lehner is very competitive and I have a feeling that defensive breakdowns that come with a young inexperienced team, will drive him nuts. I think Lehners problem isn't talent but attitude. If he can solve that, he'll be a star. Teams excel when the players all get along and form a cohesive unit, players have to want to sacrifice their bodies for their teammates. Lehner just doesn't seem like he gels well with teammates.

As others have mentioned, an extra year or two in the AHL would have likely changed his career trajectory as ridding the bus would have probably grounded him a bit more.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Hi all, Sabres fan here.

He ended horrible last year. It's been awhile since he's played well but he can play very good at tines

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Like others said, he has a lot of fire to his personality. He is very competitive...sometimes too competitive. He is a stallion that needs to be tamed. Do that, and you will have a top 5-10 goalie in the league in a couple years.

The big caveat with him is that, at this stage in his development, he needs a decent defense in front of him. If your defense "mails it in" for a few games, they will hear about it. That could either be a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on team chemistry and personalities.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I wouldn't doubt Tim Murray. Laugh all you want at me for praising him every chance I get, but if lehner doesn't work out it doesn't even matter. It was a chance worth taking and a better goalie will be brought in. No risk no reward. You wanna sit around and take the safe route? Enjoy mediocrity.
Complain about the high pick given up but if it doesn't work out then every Buffalo pick during that time will be higher.
Tim Murray is smarter than all of us, it's ok to admit it.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

And If Lehner turns into a starter and Colin White never becomes a NHL regular this could become one of the most lopsided trade in history. Things like this go both ways, can't tell before a couple years. It's still up in the air whats going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad