Player Discussion Robin Lehner – Part 1

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Which is funny. The upset for most was it was a first but they would have been fine with an early 2nd, which also would be dumb in my opinion.
Plus if I recall the rumor was Edmonton was offering a 2nd and another pick but they weren't willing to take on Legwand. So it would probably have cost a 2nd and a 3rd or even another 2nd. Completely ignoring that we were going to select Samsonov with that pick anyways. And even though he looks like a good prospect, the same people bitching about giving up a 1st for Lehner would be bitching we drafted a goalie in the 1st round. Especially one that will likely stay in Russia until 2019.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Looking at goalie options beyond this year. If we are out and don't see Lehner as the solution long-term, and trade him for any asset,

As a former goalie myself, I am not a big fan of Lehner for a number reasons. Not a whole lot of solutions but some decent stop gates and options while we look to find our answer in the cage long-term.

Goalie options for next year if Lehner isn't back. What do you do and why?

UFA - Johnson, Ward, Lack, Lehtonen, Khudobin, Bernier, Raanta, Halak
RFA - Grubauer, Mrazek, Dansk
Trade - Condon, Nilsson, Neuvirth

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Ullmark+1 one of Grubauer or Dansk/ Nilsson/Grubauer for me in 1A/1B and hope 1 of them proves to be a starter. As long as we don't pay more than 3.5 total I'm fine. Invest the cap in skaters as we need them BAD.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
There was like 5 breakaways we're lucky they didn't put up 10 with Lehner in net.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
. Late soft goals. Again.

There was only one that I didn't like last night - the rebound back out in front. Granted, the backchecking on that wasn't great and if Pominville ties up his man earlier, perhaps it doesn't even happen. The Rinaldo goal was a fluke, the point shot a complete screen, and the OEL goal a massive braincramp from Scandella while Risto continues to do his best "blueline voyeur" routine as he was standing around watching in front.

Still, one is one too many.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Looking at goalie options beyond this year. If we are out and don't see Lehner as the solution long-term, and trade him for any asset,

As a former goalie myself, I am not a big fan of Lehner for a number reasons. Not a whole lot of solutions but some decent stop gates and options while we look to find our answer in the cage long-term.

I would look to grab Grubauer

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I mean c’mon
Agreed. Last night he played plenty good enough to win that game. He's not getting front end support.

That late 3rd period goal was a back breaker, but I don't blame Lehner for that one.
The OT goal, after watching the slow motion review, is just puck luck with Risto crossing in front of him with bad timing.

Buffalo had opportunities to put this game away, they failed to, and that failure isn't on the goalie this time imo.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

I'd take a shot on Grubauer. If I'm not giving up prime assets on a goalie anymore. The only other interesting name there is Raantta.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Agreed. Last night he played plenty good enough to win that game. He's not getting front end support.

That late 3rd period goal was a back breaker, but I don't blame Lehner for that one.
The OT goal, after watching the slow motion review, is just puck luck with Risto crossing in front of him with bad timing.

Buffalo had opportunities to put this game away, they failed to, and that failure isn't on the goalie this time imo.

For every game like this, you can look at game 1, or his shoot out losses. There will always be the games he looks like a franchise goalie, and the next where he looks like a back up.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
For every game like this, you can look at game 1, or his shoot out losses. There will always be the games he looks like a franchise goalie, and the next where he looks like a back up.
I want more games like this one out of Lehner. Hopefully we are lukcy and some team desperate for goaltending is mostly present at his good games rather than bad ones so we could recoup some of the trade value lost in acquiring him a few years ago. I am hopeful we can find some mid-2nd round pick for him if we get lucky.

Last edited:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I honestly feel bad for Lehner. He has to be perfect all game to win. No goalie can gain confidence having to be perfect all the time. It's not realistic.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I honestly feel bad for Lehner. He has to be perfect all game to win. No goalie can gain confidence having to be perfect all the time. It's not realistic.

Balogne. He lets in stinkers every single game. It’s on him

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The stinkers are his fault, sure. He isn't our problem though.
Everytime a goal goes in this team looks dejected and beat, if we had a goalie able to make the easy stops Lehner lets in and give the guys confidence, they may play better with more confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad