Player Discussion Robin Lehner – Part 1

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Just getting some of the discussion out of the trade thread.

I think this is mandatory reading on our new #1:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/06/27...uffalo?token=cf328c160918b226f9321b899ba3121e

While he made it clear during a telephone conversation from his home in Gothenburg, Sweden Saturday he can't say enough good things about his time in Ottawa, Lehner isn't convinced he ever had a shot to beat out Craig Anderson for the top job, especially under former coach Paul MacLean.

"But I think there was something between me and Paul (MacLean) that didn't click when he was there. He came from a veteran team in Detroit where it takes a long time for the young guys to break through I think. It was nothing personal between us I don't think. It just seemed like when I'd start getting hot I didn't get the chance to play and that happened on several occasions."

GM Bryan Murray didn't disagree with Lehner's assessment.

"That's what I said all along. Somebody asked me what Robin has to do to get better and I said, 'Just get a net to play in on a regular basis.' If you don't give them the ice time or net to play in even if they have a bad game, but we weren't in that position with Craig Anderson being the goaltender he is," Murray said after the draft. "Why did (Cam) Talbot get traded from the New York Rangers? He needs net and Henrik (Lundqvist) wasn't going to give it to him.

Good stuff there.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I saw this kid in his development stages here in Binghamton. He was my choice out of all the available goalies out there. Maybe only because I knew the most about him.

Very athletic for his size. Will make the tough saves look routine. He is a competitor that will, at times, wear his heart on his sleeve.

There are warts. To me, there were times he just didn't seem to have his head in the game and read plays all that well. It wasn't often but it was there.

I haven't followed him all that much when he went up to the big club but I feel he could be a solid guy for the next decade if given the chance.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Has he only had this one concussion? If so that's nothing to really warrant as a risk, multiple concussions and he might need to change his game up if he keeps taking hits to the head. I was down on what was used to acquire Lehner and really was proactive for Talbot but I'm willing to give him a chance. He hasn't exactly impressed me at the NHL level yet, for the few good games he put together so has a goalie like Enroth and Neuvirth. It will be interesting to see what he does with long stretches.

Russ Tyler

Jul 9, 2011
HSBC Arena
I feel like concussions are less of a concern for goalies. I know once you get one, it's easier or more likely to occur again, but unlike a forward that you may contribute the concussion to his player style as a 'head down' skater, I don't see this being a long term concern for Lehner as a goalie.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I feel like concussions are less of a concern for goalies. I know once you get one, it's easier or more likely to occur again, but unlike a forward that you may contribute the concussion to his player style as a 'head down' skater, I don't see this being a long term concern for Lehner as a goalie.
Especially with Lucic out of the conference.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've always like Lehner. I'm interested to see what he can do and if they retain Irbe, what magic Arturs can work on him.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

With Evander Kane and Deslaurier on our squad, the chances of our goalie getting ran is very low.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
He was my 2nd choice after Gibson, and apparently Gibson wasn't available. Even though I hate the trade, I like the player. I like the idea of a fiery character in goal that might just chop a guy...for whatever. He's got plenty of potential so in a short time he could let us forget about that 1st rder.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
He was my 2nd choice after Gibson, and apparently Gibson wasn't available. Even though I hate the trade, I like the player. I like the idea of a fiery character in goal that might just chop a guy...for whatever. He's got plenty of potential so in a short time he could let us forget about that 1st rder.

This is exactly how I feel. I feel like we gave up too much for a goalie that was their backup but the price was exacted because Brian knew Tim wanted Lehner as a #1. Using that valuation is the discrepancy between what we wanted to pay and what we actually paid.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
As much as I didn't like the trade, you cant change it and I hope Lehner becomes our franchise goalie. He is a Buffalo Sabre now and its time to move forward.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Hi guys sens fans here and i just want to say Lehner is a good goalie when hes on. He will steal 5 games in a row the problem is he's inconsistent. After stealing 5 he will lose 6 in a row and most those games will have bad goals. You can see it by looking at his game log for the 2013-2014 season. Great start then he lost like 8 of 11 games and his save percentage in all those games was poor before he bounced back with a very strong finish. He has the ability to play at an elite level though so that should be encouraging. One thing that hes prone to is weak goals. You can go on waronice and see he is 2nd or 3rd worst for goalies with a 1000 mins on 5v5 low percentage shots this year. He was also poor saving low percentage shots last year. Personally i feel this problem will iron itself out. He's still very young and most goalie it their prime around 26-27

So with Lehner it seems it either elite or below average. There isnt a lot of inbetween. Hes also very use to facing a lot of shots. Him and Maclean did not get along but most players didint seem to like Maclean. Lots of interesting stories about him but they might just be from people who had a gripe with him

Funny story from bingo though. The Bingo sens were winning 5-0. Lehner gets in two fights and gets ejected from the game lol the bingo sens losing 6-5 haha

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Don't be harsh on Lehner. Give him time to develop. Don't expect him to be a #1 right away but also don't be surprised if good right away.

He got rushed in Ottawa. Partially his own fault. As a result he hasn't played many games over the last 3 seasons and hasn't improved much, if at all over that time. He needs at least 2 seasons of playing 40+ games for his development.

Be patient with him.

Also, he has a very good understanding of the game. Listen to his interviews. Won't surprise me if he becomes a coach.

moomoosoup

Oct 8, 2014
Him citing maturity as an area he needs to work on seems pretty self aware to me and I appreciate him acknowledging it. That plus that fact that he's not afraid to hack at a guy are two things that have me looking forward to him.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Oh one last thing B.Murray said he had a similar trade lined up for Lehner and went to T.Murray and said if you offer more hes yours. I took this to mean someone was offering something similar. The market dictated Lehner's price.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
No the problem with concussions isn't so much that they are easier to get. It's that it's your brain so naturally they effect everyone differently. But two of the biggest side effects everyone gets from concussions is sensitivity to light sources and a decreased ability to gauge depth of field and track motion. Some people are bothered by those things for just a few months, for some people it never goes away.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
There is really two things that Lehner needs to work on.

1. Rebounds.
2. Puck tracking.

If these two things get fixed (I hope that they are fixed), then you guys will be good to go in having a great goaltender for the next couple of years.

He also sometimes goes way too deep in his net. So he needs to work on that as well.

Hopefully your goalie coach can fix all of these issues. It was obvious he needed a change of scenery.

Good luck next season.

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Oh one last thing B.Murray said he had a similar trade lined up for Lehner and went to T.Murray and said if you offer more hes yours. I took this to mean someone was offering something similar. The market dictated Lehner's price.

Are you refering to this?

"(Tim) knows as much about Robin as anybody does," said Murray. "That's why he was willing to give me the first round pick. Up to that point in time, the best I could do was a second round pick and that wasn't, to me, acceptable for a guy of this calibre.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Chiarelli was after Lehner. Speculation is that he was offering the #33 while Tim was offering #31. Bryan didn't feel like 2 spots was enough to deal Lehner in the division, so Tim bumped his offer up to #21.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Chiarelli was after Lehner. Speculation is that he was offering the #33 while Tim was offering #31. Bryan didn't feel like 2 spots was enough to deal Lehner in the division, so Tim bumped his offer up to #21.

Something like this is very likely what happened. I think im inclinded to believe the oilers were offering more then 33 maybe a few other draft picks or prospects.

Its worth remembering the Sens did do a trade with the oilers for a draft pick so maybe it was going to be one big deal with Lehner, Legwand and Gryba.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad