Rumor: Rob Kerr And Charlie Simmer let go by Sportsnet

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I just realized something. What if they replace Simmer....

with Eric Francis?

AWSpdJz.gif

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Kerr and Simmer, while both great guys, were absolutely brutal for PBP/commentary. Rob Kerr is tailor-made for radio. This guy knows his hockey and is great at discussing the finer points of the game. But when he's forced to use cringe-worthy cliches every ten seconds, it ruins the experience.

As for Simmer... well, he's had a helluva an NHL career and probably has made decent money. Time to retire ol' chap.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I'd be fine with Kerr doing colour commentary (or "host" which is what Millions is now) as he's actually quite intelligent. He's just lousy at calling the play by play.

I've never understood having Charlie Simmer - I mean he was a good player once, when I was a kid, but has zero ties to Calgary other than living here.

Hopefully a former announcer isn't recycled (Millions or Loubardias) or it isn't Mark Lee (barf) and Rick Ball is hired.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
We'll never here Kerr yell VAAAAAAAAAN BRAAAAABAAAAAANT on a regular basis. I'd like to see Kerr as a colour commentator. Not sure who should replace him.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I'd be fine with Kerr doing colour commentary (or "host" which is what Millions is now) as he's actually quite intelligent. He's just lousy at calling the play by play.

I've never understood having Charlie Simmer - I mean he was a good player once, when I was a kid, but has zero ties to Calgary other than living here.

Hopefully a former announcer isn't recycled (Millions or Loubardias) or it isn't Mark Lee (barf) and Rick Ball is hired.
I like Mark Lee

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

Yeah I'd be fine with Kerr doing CC because nobody can deny he's very knowledgeable in hockey. It's just doing PBP that he's terrible at and he says some really bizarre things. Hopefully, Kerr will make his way back the way Loubardias did (just not with the Flames tv broadcasts, please).

I always wondered about why Simmer was around too. The best explanation I could come up with was his history with the game might give the audience some insight on how the game is played and what might be going through a player's mind, but he's been out of the game for over 20 years.

On a related note, I just found this article about Peter Loubardias after his firing and making a come back:
http://www.calgaryjournal.ca/index....bardias-journey-back-from-broadcasting-embers

TheClassicK*

It seems like it's more than a rumour. Jason Gregor confirmed it on twitter and even replied to a question from someone else saying they're going through the hiring process for new PBP announcers.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I would love to have Loubo back, but I'm not opposed to trying someone new. I do feel bad for Kerr though, he came off as a really likeable character for me even if he was jarring sometimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad