Injury Report: RNH To Have Season Ending Shoulder Surgery (Labrum Tear)

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
There was talk last week that RNH didn't want to go for the surgery just yet. It's not all on the organization, you can't force someone to get surgery.

I am just comparing it to Taylor Hall's recovery because it is the same surgery. Hall wasn't ready to go till mid November this year.. I would expect RNH to be the same. No point in coming back early and risking it.

Another thing Hall said was it takes 6 months to rehab from it but it does not feel 100% until a year.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I'm just curious.

Has anyone here had a torn labrum injury?

I've been fighting one for about 3 years. I think I got it golfing. It's kinda sore at times, but doesn't really bother me enough to consider even going to the doctor about it...never mind surgery.

I can see how this type of injury could mess up a pro hockey player's game though.
Maybe these guys should get something done as soon as possible, but if I can live with it for 3 years without too much issue, I would imagine a hockey player would probably put up with it for longer than they should as well.

I've had labrum tears on both shoulders. My left one is still gimped. I have not had surgery for either. My right one responded with rehab and rest. Which meant not doing anything at all to aggravate it if possible. (Which is very tough to do in day to day life let alone playing a pro sport.)

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
I'm just curious.

Has anyone here had a torn labrum injury?

I've been fighting one for about 3 years. I think I got it golfing. It's kinda sore at times, but doesn't really bother me enough to consider even going to the doctor about it...never mind surgery.

I can see how this type of injury could mess up a pro hockey player's game though.
Maybe these guys should get something done as soon as possible, but if I can live with it for 3 years without too much issue, I would imagine a hockey player would probably put up with it for longer than they should as well.

I had one surgically repaired 2 years ago. After ~ 1 year it was back to 100% and my shoulder was great until recently when I aggravated it after 6 months of boxing and a couple bad falls in hockey. That said, my labrum is still intact, shoulder is just sore.

I would highly recommend you check out the Glen Sather clinic for physio. Sounds like it isnt bothering you much, but with a little work it might not bother you at all. Maybe worth your time? :shrug:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I had one surgically repaired 2 years ago. After ~ 1 year it was back to 100% and my shoulder was great until recently when I aggravated it after 6 months of boxing and a couple bad falls in hockey. That said, my labrum is still intact, shoulder is just sore.

I would highly recommend you check out the Glen Sather clinic for physio. Sounds like it isnt bothering you much, but with a little work it might not bother you at all. Maybe worth your time? :shrug:

I may just do that. I didn't golf much last year, and besides stuff around the house/lawn/garage, I don't do allot of exercise.

Doesn't bug me much at all right now though.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, lets blame the 19 0r 20 year old kid that is trying to be the team guy and play through pain rather than the team and medical staff that should be doing what is best for the team. Huge cop out to blame the delay on RNH. Of course this front office is great at just doing that, deflecting blame onto players.

I'm not blaming anyone, but if the kid didn't want to get the surgery done there is nothing you can do to make him.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
When will teams learn to ignore the decisions of the players, their agents, and expert doctors, and instead decide things based on the whims of fans?

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
I may just do that. I didn't golf much last year, and besides stuff around the house/lawn/garage, I don't do allot of exercise.

Doesn't bug me much at all right now though.

Well if you decide on physio, I would recommend an appointment with Ryan at the Glen Sather. He's an excellent physiotherapist. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the physio or labrum tears; Im no expert, but I can at least tell you what my experience was like.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
No two labrum tears are the same. Some absolutely require surgery, and others you can play through if you can deal with the pain, limited range of motion, stiffness, and weakness.

I tore my left shoulder labrum last summer doing decline lat raises (don't ask). Both SLAP and Bankart lesions. Couldn't lift my arm out above shoulder level without a sharp knife pain. Weakness and slippage too. Had the entire thing sewed up and anchors put in about 6 months ago. I'm finally back to lifting full strength now, still with a bit of stiffness that I hope will go away with continued PT. It's a tricky injury and depending on the nature of the tear, the quality of the surgeon, and the style of PT, full 100% recovery can take anywhere from 3 months to a full year. Best of luck to RNH.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
No two labrum tears are the same. Some absolutely require surgery, and others you can play through if you can deal with the pain, limited range of motion, stiffness, and weakness.

I tore my left shoulder labrum last summer doing decline lat raises (don't ask). Both SLAP and Bankart lesions. Couldn't lift my arm out above shoulder level without a sharp knife pain. Weakness and slippage too. Had the entire thing sewed up and anchors put in about 6 months ago. I'm finally back to lifting full strength now, still with a bit of stiffness that I hope will go away with continued PT. It's a tricky injury and depending on the nature of the tear, the quality of the surgeon, and the style of PT, full 100% recovery can take anywhere from 3 months to a full year. Best of luck to RNH.

RNH's camp said it wasn't too severe.

Do you think that means it might be a shorter recovery time or would it basically be the same as an average tear?

The Perfect Human*

Do you think that means it might be a shorter recovery time or would it basically be the same as an average tear?

Hard to assess prognosis with these injuries because of their obscure nature. Even MRI's can't fully characterize the extent/severity of the injury.

Usually you follow the patient during the rehab period and assess at that time based on the return of strength/function how long it would be.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

Like Hemsky_83 said, it's difficult to say. I'm sure his surgeon will have him out of the sling and in PT within 48 hours of surgery. Aggressive PT shortens recovery time. Within one month of surgery, RNH will likely have full range of motion again. By the three month mark, it should be feeling pretty normal again. The rub is that he's a professional hockey player, so the slightest drop in arm strength is going to affect his shot. So while he may be ready for contact and back on the ice within 3 months, he might not have that zip on his passes or shots for a while. It's why I think Gaborik is having a down year (by his standards).

Six in O6

Feb 24, 2009
Edmonton
Hard to assess prognosis with these injuries because of their obscure nature. Even MRI's can't fully characterize the extent/severity of the injury.

Usually you follow the patient during the rehab period and assess at that time based on the return of strength/function how long it would be.

Exactly. As much of a science that medicine is, there is a lot of going by "feel" with these kinds of injuries. It's called invasive surgury for a reason.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Bump

Just wondering if there is any news on the RNH shoulder problem.

Anyone know how he's progressing?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
agents are always saying such things... can't really take anything they say seriously

Well to be fair, it really is way too early to know much. I'm staying optimistic, I hope the agent is right.

However, I would prefer they don't mess around with RNH and his shoulders. We've got a lot of our future riding on this kid and we need to make sure this doesn't become a real issue down the road. Whatever date the doctors and RNH say he's ready to play by, the Oilers should add at least two weeks - one month to.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well to be fair, it really is way too early to know much. I'm staying optimistic, I hope the agent is right.

However, I would prefer they don't mess around with RNH and his shoulders. We've got a lot of our future riding on this kid and we need to make sure this doesn't become a real issue down the road. Whatever date the doctors and RNH say he's ready to play by, the Oilers should add at least two weeks - one month to.

couldn't agree more... of course we all know this won't be the case, but it would be nice for the oilers to be careful with an injury for once wouldn't it?

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Thing with rnh is that just being 100% healthy probably isn't good enough. He needs to be getting stronger every off-season and not just getting back to where he was before.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I actually hope MacT DOES take into account RNH and his injury. I want them to work their ***** off to obtain a big centre to help out down the middle.

Regardless of how long RNH is out injured the team needs to get better and bigger down the middle and add to prospect depth so I'm hoping they regard RNH as completely out of the picture and strengthen their centre core. When RNH comes back, the depth at centre should be a strength, not a weakness like it is now.

The Perfect Human*

couldn't agree more... of course we all know this won't be the case, but it would be nice for the oilers to be careful with an injury for once wouldn't it?

If anything it'd be the doctors being over-precautious

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Thing with rnh is that just being 100% healthy probably isn't good enough. He needs to be getting stronger every off-season and not just getting back to where he was before.

Weird comment. What exactly is before? You mean when hes played with an iffy shoulder since junior? He is going to get stronger and this surgery will be part of it.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003

... I'd say you're just being paranoid if you think that he won't go back to improving once he's recovered from surgery.

Oct 15, 2008
I actually hope MacT DOES take into account RNH and his injury. I want them to work their ***** off to obtain a big centre to help out down the middle.

Regardless of how long RNH is out injured the team needs to get better and bigger down the middle and add to prospect depth so I'm hoping they regard RNH as completely out of the picture and strengthen their centre core. When RNH comes back, the depth at centre should be a strength, not a weakness like it is now.

Its all good. Snowpants has us covered.:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad