Injury Report: RNH To Have Season Ending Shoulder Surgery (Labrum Tear)

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
And now the guy with Lowe in his name wants to argue. Eberle gets tag teamed by every team we play, hall is left alone to skate in as he pleases and that makes him better than Tavares? I'm not knocking Hall, and I expect him to be Hall. Not Messier, Iginla, or whoever else. He was terrible last year due to injury. Still played hurt while we get Yakupov. He's been fantastic. He would have been better. We have been sending lightweights to battle heavyweights with the supporting cast only capable of drafting first overall draft picks. And why burn up the ELC when we could have a better healthier player when games actually matter?

What?

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
And now the guy with Lowe in his name wants to argue. Eberle gets tag teamed by every team we play, hall is left alone to skate in as he pleases and that makes him better than Tavares? I'm not knocking Hall, and I expect him to be Hall. Not Messier, Iginla, or whoever else. He was terrible last year due to injury. Still played hurt while we get Yakupov. He's been fantastic. He would have been better. We have been sending lightweights to battle heavyweights with the supporting cast only capable of drafting first overall draft picks. And why burn up the ELC when we could have a better healthier player when games actually matter?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I freaking knew it, I knew his shoulder was "off" even at the World Juniors.

When they yanked him from OKC and flew him back to Edmonton, I think they already knew then that he needed off-season shoulder surgery.

SHO NUFF*

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul...

Ok, a simple wrong would have done just fine

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

:handclap:
Brilliant, loved reading this.
:laugh:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If this team had any depth at all, they could do like most other teams would and claim a guy like Mike Santorelli off waivers to be a stopgap for a month.

We wouldn't even give up the 7th to get Steckel or take Hall off waivers when we clearly needed any sort of help at all at center.

As for RNH, it's about time. Not sure why players wait so long to get something done that has bothered him for so long. I'm also not sure why ST refused to have a viable backup plan either. Then again this was a team that was going to rely on a rookie playing well and a vet that could never play a full season healthy at a top level.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
If it's for 5-10 games it really isn't the end of the world. Chicago had Kane playing C at one point, does that make them a bunch of dumbards?

Did they have to play Kane at center for 5-10 games because they knowingly put off surgery for their #1 center thus jeopardizing the start of the next year? If your answer to this is 'yes' then they are indeed a bunch of dumbards.

The Perfect Human*

Did they have to play Kane at center for 5-10 games because they knowingly put off surgery for their #1 center thus jeopardizing the start of the next year? If your answer to this is 'yes' then they are indeed a bunch of dumbards.

Kane wanted to play C though. Not out of any necessity. He wanted to try becoming a "Datsyuk-like" 2-way center. He did alright at the position too. Andrew Shaw's emergence as a good 3C pushed Bolland back up to 2C though

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I freaking knew it, I knew his shoulder was "off" even at the World Juniors.

When they yanked him from OKC and flew him back to Edmonton, I think they already knew then that he needed off-season shoulder surgery.

Call me naive but I don't think that there were any certainties that he would need surgery done on his shoulder. Surgery should be the last option imo and since he wasn't stopped by our medical team I conclude that there was no risk of making things worse by playing.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I think people are aware that surgery is a last resort.

The problem seems to be the implication that surgery was going to be required "at some point". If that's the case, why not do it last year?

You'd think after 2+ years of playing with an injury that doesn't go away they'd be considering surgery earlier than April 2013, but yeah, the medical staff had been checking him out.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
This is frustrating... they were kind of in a jam two weeks ago. From what I have heard the injury could not get any worse so seeing if they make the playoffs kind of makes sense.. But it is frustrating now that they are not going to make the playoffs and now Nuge won't be ready to start the season next year...

Leaving our C depth looking like this:

Gagner
Horcoff
Lander
???

That is the exact opposite of strength down the middle...

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Last resort eh? So why is it all of a sudden last resort now....at this point in time? After the guy looked like he was being bothered all year, only after we were almost 100% eliminated.

Last resort like last year for Hall, when by the grace of god we had a lock out or he was going to miss time when he were further out of the playoff race.

All bs. I'd like to know from the team and those excusing this idiotic move by the team and the medical staff if we are in win now mode or not? All you hear is that we are a young team, not ready to truly compete, only in year 3 of a 5 year rebuild.

The oilers should have talked to their med staff and said the following. What is the latest be can delay surgery for RNH and still have in 100% rehabbed and 100% ready for next year? And if the med staff said, March 1st is the latest you can go. Then he should have been shut down then.

This organization screws up just about everything they put their hands to.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Last resort eh? So why is it all of a sudden last resort now....at this point in time? After the guy looked like he was being bothered all year, only after we were almost 100% eliminated.

Last resort like last year for Hall, when by the grace of god we had a lock out or he was going to miss time when he were further out of the playoff race.

All bs. I'd like to know from the team and those excusing this idiotic move by the team and the medical staff if we are in win now mode or not? All you hear is that we are a young team, not ready to truly compete, only in year 3 of a 5 year rebuild.

The oilers should have talked to their med staff and said the following. What is the latest be can delay surgery for RNH and still have in 100% rehabbed and 100% ready for next year? And if the med staff said, March 1st is the latest you can go. Then he should have been shut down then.

There was talk last week that RNH didn't want to go for the surgery just yet. It's not all on the organization, you can't force someone to get surgery.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This is frustrating... they were kind of in a jam two weeks ago. From what I have heard the injury could not get any worse so seeing if they make the playoffs kind of makes sense.. But it is frustrating now that they are not going to make the playoffs and now Nuge won't be ready to start the season next year...

Leaving our C depth looking like this:

Gagner
Horcoff
Lander
???

That is the exact opposite of strength down the middle...

I know things change, but the article I read yesterday said he'd be good to go. New article today stating differently?

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree

It's likely he will be ready for the start of the regular season...

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011

You always try and avoid surgery if you can and it's always the patient who has the last call. It's not like surgery is a guaranteed success or the ultimate solution. There are risks involved.

As I wrote yesterday, around 10% ends up with a shoulder with less function(if it's the kind of injury and surgery I'm guessing it is) albeit the end result is way better for people under 30 and likely for a young athlete the odds are as good as they can be. But still there's a chance he might end up with a shoulder that's worse than before. For a kid starting out his pro career that's a scary scenario and ofcourse he's going to try and push it as far as possible.

Six in O6

Feb 24, 2009
Edmonton
You always try and avoid surgery if you can and it's always the patient who has the last call. It's not like surgery is a guaranteed success or the ultimate solution. There are risks involved.

As I wrote yesterday, around 10% ends up with a shoulder with less function(if it's the kind of injury and surgery I'm guessing it is) albeit the end result is way better for people under 30 and likely for a young athlete the odds are as good as they can be. But still there's a chance he might end up with a shoulder that's worse than before. For a kid starting out his pro career that's a scary scenario and ofcourse he's going to try and push it as far as possible.

This. 10 pages full of "experts" on the internet with medical degrees. Good post. Surgury for Nuge at this time makes perfect sense, it is clear that he was ok with it and that the medical staff did their jobs. If this was something from the first game of the year on an 82 game schedule and he just decided now, thus putting his spring camp in jeopardy it might be different but this injury has bothered him since JUNIOR.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This. 10 pages full of "experts" on the internet with medical degrees. Good post. Surgury for Nuge at this time makes perfect sense, it is clear that he was ok with it and that the medical staff did their jobs. If this was something from the first game of the year on an 82 game schedule and he just decided now, thus putting his spring camp in jeopardy it might be different but this injury has bothered him since JUNIOR.

With the lockout, they should've really tried to get him to do it at the end of last year or even September. But they could've, don't really know. Kid could've been thinking he could play hurt and get a big contract then go for surgery.

Billybaroo*

Come on now. You dont think with the certainty so many speak of here that they arent doctors, havent examined RNH's shoulder & spoken to him about his shoulder & have a pretty good idea how long his rehab will be?
Thats just crazy talk.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm just curious.

Has anyone here had a torn labrum injury?

I've been fighting one for about 3 years. I think I got it golfing. It's kinda sore at times, but doesn't really bother me enough to consider even going to the doctor about it...never mind surgery.

I can see how this type of injury could mess up a pro hockey player's game though.
Maybe these guys should get something done as soon as possible, but if I can live with it for 3 years without too much issue, I would imagine a hockey player would probably put up with it for longer than they should as well.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
There was talk last week that RNH didn't want to go for the surgery just yet. It's not all on the organization, you can't force someone to get surgery.

Yeah, lets blame the 19 0r 20 year old kid that is trying to be the team guy and play through pain rather than the team and medical staff that should be doing what is best for the team. Huge cop out to blame the delay on RNH. Of course this front office is great at just doing that, deflecting blame onto players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad