Value of: RNH to any team

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
so, what is he? A weak defensive Center with a 44% FO? At 6M per? C'mon.

Nuge is an undersized, skilled center. He can do everything, but he doesn't do anything really well. His best seasons were the ones where he played on a feature line with offensively gifted wingers. He makes 6M a year because he put together a spectacular run with Taylor Hall early in their careers. The Oilers were not going to take a chance of losing him, so they skipped the bridge deal and signed him long term.

He would be perfect for a team that already has highly skilled young talent and is looking for a defensively trustworthy center who can play with skill.

He is not the type of player who you can put on the ice with anyone and have him drive the line all by himself.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He can't win a FO, finish a check, or, apparently, score very much any more. Maybe he has lingering issues from a concussion, I don't know. He's at an age when he should be coming into his own and improving, but he seems to be doing the opposite. It's kind of mystifying.

I would like to see what he can become if he really challenges himself working out this summer. He is still young...if he can reinvent himself back into a legit top 6 player the Oilers could be pretty good next year up front.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Can we start something around Scandella + for RNH?

WTH are you talking about? You want to take on MORE cap? And for a guy that is near broken ? Let alone that BB wants his forwards to get bigger and more physical?

And that's not bringing in EDM's needs. THEY CAN'T PROTECT SCANDELLA. THEY DON'T NEED LD.

This "deal" would be awful for both teams. We've got Pominville. We've got Parise. WE DON'T NEED MORE OVERPAID FORWARDS.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
He can't win a FO, finish a check, or, apparently, score very much any more. Maybe he has lingering issues from a concussion, I don't know. He's at an age when he should be coming into his own and improving, but he seems to be doing the opposite. It's kind of mystifying.

I would like to see what he can become if he really challenges himself working out this summer. He is still young...if he can reinvent himself back into a legit top 6 player the Oilers could be pretty good next year up front.

His FO abilities have always been a problem and I also think he needs to make more of an effort to become stronger, he's kind of a slight person but it's not like he's small by any means. However if you look at his offensive production in relation to his games played every year, he scores at a pretty good pace and his point totals since he came into the league put him in the 25-35 range for Centers over that time. Of course he's having terrible year this year, his SH% is well below his career avg. but I think the team owes him a year to redeem himself especially when you consider how he's been handled throughout his young career. He's had 5 different coaches, came in playing 1C with basically no veteran presence on a team that was never going anywhere year after year. He's been asked to wear a lot of hats (1C facing top comp, 1PP, 1PK, shut down) now younger, better players come along and he's relegated to the backseat offensively. All that probably isn't great for a pro players confidence.

He's been dealt a **** hand by a team that expected him to be a 1C but never gave him the teaching or support needed for him to develop properly and it's been hard on the kid. When RNH is on his game he is a smart, talented, hard working player and personally I believe there is still a really good player who can earn every penny of that 6M a year. Question is will be that player here or somewhere else. I don't expect he will be dealt this summer, I think him and Eberle have been tied together for a long time and it's been bad for both of them. I think Eberle will be gone this summer and RNH will work hard to get his body and mind right and we will see a much improved player next season.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
No. We wouldn't.

All the offers in this thread are jokes. Oilers ain't selling low on RNH.

Well nobody is buying high for him.

Seriously, the last 2 years he has played at a 45 point pace. And you can't blame lack of talent around him. Even at him best when the oilers played no defense and he had Hall and Eberle as wingers, he was a 56 point guy. Is that worth 6 million??

The answer is no.

So then it becomes, are the Oilers willing to eat 1 million for the next 4 years, or take back some else who is overpaid for multiple years. If RNH was getting paid 4.5-5 million, there would be no issue. But that overpay matters for what he brings.

But as discussed in a different thread, a team like Philly could be interested if they wish to fill that hole at C. RNH and $500,000 retained for Schenn is a deal that could work for both teams. Schenn can play wing, but then also sub in at C if injuries occur. And he can play either wing. He plays left when beside Giroux, but has looked even better in the right side when with Couts. But he is not a natural C. Then for Philly, they get a C which they need, and still have Voracek, Simmonds, Konecny, Lindblom, etc... on the wing for next year.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Seriously, the last 2 years he has played at a 45 point pace.
And you can't blame lack of talent around
him. Even at him best when the oilers played no defense and he had Hall and Eberle as wingers, he was a 56 point guy. Is that worth 6 million??

The answer is no.

So then it becomes, are the Oilers willing to eat 1 million for the next 4 years, or take back some else who is overpaid for multiple years. If RNH was getting paid 4.5-5 million, there would be no issue. But that overpay matters for what he brings.

But as discussed in a different thread, a team like Philly could be interested if they wish to fill that hole at C. RNH and $500,000 retained for Schenn is a deal that could work for both teams. Schenn can play wing, but then also sub in at C if injuries occur. And he can play either wing. He plays left when beside Giroux, but has looked even better in the right side when with Couts. But he is not a natural C. Then for Philly, they get a C which they need, and still have Voracek, Simmonds, Konecny, Lindblom, etc... on the wing for next year.

It not the talent it how the coach is using him We seen many players being missed used over the year and when they are traded they break out

He is being used as a shut down C . He is not meant for that . He is not big enough , strong enough , good enough at FO and because of this he is losing his confidence . He got a real good shot and right now he is shooting it right at the goalies chest .

I never made thread to give RNH away . I made it because he deserves better He is a average defensive player who won't hurt you if he playing 2nd line C . The offers in here I get . Teams want to buy low incase he doesn't rebound . At 6 million cap hit you need more from a player . Right now I would trade him . Not because he is bad but misusing a player with his cap hit will only lower his value to the point we are getting pennies on the dollar . I don't think he is that far gone a GM wouldn't pay for him . I really like to get Couturier for him . Even if it is a bigger deal and we add something with Philly adding something but Schenn would work if we had a another deal for a RH C

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think Schenn for RNH would help both teams. Currently we are using Nick Cousins as the center on a sheltered line that will hopefully score. RNH would be a big upgrade, and Cousins has shown he can play LW.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
From a Habs standpoint, we would have to involve Plekanec to balance salaries. Can be a great 3rd line center and help shelter the young stars up front.

What kind of assets Edmonton is looking for to balance off value?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It not the talent it how the coach is using him We seen many players being missed used over the year and when they are traded they break out

He is being used as a shut down C . He is not meant for that . He is not big enough , strong enough , good enough at FO and because of this he is losing his confidence . He got a real good shot and right now he is shooting it right at the goalies chest .

I never made thread to give RNH away . I made it because he deserves better He is a average defensive player who won't hurt you if he playing 2nd line C . The offers in here I get . Teams want to buy low incase he doesn't rebound . At 6 million cap hit you need more from a player . Right now I would trade him . Not because he is bad but misusing a player with his cap hit will only lower his value to the point we are getting pennies on the dollar . I don't think he is that far gone a GM wouldn't pay for him . I really like to get Couturier for him . Even if it is a bigger deal and we add something with Philly adding something but Schenn would work if we had a another deal for a RH C

Couturier for RNH doesnt make any sense for the Flyers, because then we're stuck with no 3C to take the tough minutes Couturier eats up.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
His FO abilities have always been a problem and I also think he needs to make more of an effort to become stronger, he's kind of a slight person but it's not like he's small by any means. However if you look at his offensive production in relation to his games played every year, he scores at a pretty good pace and his point totals since he came into the league put him in the 25-35 range for Centers over that time. Of course he's having terrible year this year, his SH% is well below his career avg. but I think the team owes him a year to redeem himself especially when you consider how he's been handled throughout his young career. He's had 5 different coaches, came in playing 1C with basically no veteran presence on a team that was never going anywhere year after year. He's been asked to wear a lot of hats (1C facing top comp, 1PP, 1PK, shut down) now younger, better players come along and he's relegated to the backseat offensively. All that probably isn't great for a pro players confidence.

He's been dealt a **** hand by a team that expected him to be a 1C but never gave him the teaching or support needed for him to develop properly and it's been hard on the kid. When RNH is on his game he is a smart, talented, hard working player and personally I believe there is still a really good player who can earn every penny of that 6M a year. Question is will be that player here or somewhere else. I don't expect he will be dealt this summer, I think him and Eberle have been tied together for a long time and it's been bad for both of them. I think Eberle will be gone this summer and RNH will work hard to get his body and mind right and we will see a much improved player next season.

Agree with just about everything here. Unless EDM haS cap problems he should be kept, as his value is really low, and he has more chance than most to redeem himself due to his age. Hopefully he takes this year's results to heart and gets serious this summer about training.

Erik Haula used to lose FO's. The difference between him and RNH is that he was sat on the bench regularly when he didn't perform, and he was paid near minimum with little to no term. He wasn't comfortable at all. Three years ago he came back after the summer and starting winning FO's, and hasn't looked back since. He's near 55%. He's not a big strong guy, either, so RNH can do the same thing.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Agree with just about everything here. Unless EDM haS cap problems he should be kept, as his value is really low, and he has more chance than most to redeem himself due to his age. Hopefully he takes this year's results to heart and gets serious this summer about training.

Erik Haula used to lose FO's. The difference between him and RNH is that he was sat on the bench regularly when he didn't perform, and he was paid near minimum with little to no term. He wasn't comfortable at all. Three years ago he came back after the summer and starting winning FO's, and hasn't looked back since. He's near 55%. He's not a big strong guy, either, so RNH can do the same thing.

RNH would benefit from a proper strength and conditioning trainer in the off season (He currently uses is older brother) get into a program like Gary Roberts or someone who has a strong history with hockey players and increasing strength in relation to on ice performance without hurting things like speed and agility. Also I'd like to see him hire Adam Oates as a skills coach, guy was a wiz on the dot during his career and during his brief stint with the Oilers he mentored guys like Jared Stoll to become solid face-off guys.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
A lot of people on a Facebook group (oilers based, of course) like the idea of Hopkins, Eberle (and maybe Davidson) for Hamonic, Strome and Halak.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

Probably not, although I doubt the Oilers are even trying to sell him.

That said, if they did, I don't think something based around Schenn would be a horrible idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad