Value of: Ristolainen

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
What are Buffalo's needs?

Everything. If we could get an older top 4 defenseman + a good prospect because people see value in his age, good. If we can get a really nice winger, ok. If we can get a top 10 pick and a pretty good roster player, possibly.

Sabres need to build organizational depth and change culture. While trading Risto may be taking one step back, if you get the right deal, it may be the way to take two steps forward down the line. I just think it's worth exploring.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Why would the Sabres do that? Kinda defeats the purpose of trading Ristolainen if youre getting a dman of similar pedigree back. One bred in a losing culture (as well) too boot
Good point. This thread is based on a ridiculous premise. Risto has a terrific attitude and is one of the only players who demonstrates passion on the ice. Getting rid of him simply because he's been put in a situation where only the league's best would truly flourish is just dumb. He should be getting 20-22 minutes ATOI but obviously that has been near impossible with Bogosian missing significant time every season.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Assuming this is at the draft and oilers dont win 1st oa.

Puljujarvi
2018 1St(8th-10th) or 2019 1st unprotected
Russel or Sekera

Im not sure what Buffalo fans would want or if they even want to move him. A lateral move for one of our LH dmen makes no sense either.

If Buffalo win 1st oa itd be pretty spiphy having another top 10 pick for another dman but i think Risto would be important in insulating Dahlin.

Last edited:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Assuming this is at the draft and oilers dont win 1st oa.

Puljujarvi
2018 1St(8th-10th) or 2019 1st unprotected
Russel or Sekera

Im not sure what Buffalo fans would want or if they even want to move him. A lateral move for one of our LH dmen makes no sense either.

I would take this and run. Exactly the type of move I would be looking for.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Risto + ROR for Karlsson? Sign me up.

On one hand i think too much. On the other i think of Karlsson on the Sabres.

But it's too much. EK would need some help around him & outside Scandella & possibly Guhle theres nothing. Right side particularly so

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
If he were moved, it won't be for Edmonton prospects that have yet to prove a high pedigree at The NHL level.

A trade involving him might be a trade of several parts between two teams in need of a cultural change...

Carolina off the top of my head, but maybe someone else has thought this out more than I have.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
On one hand i think too much. On the other i think of Karlsson on the Sabres.

But it's too much. EK would need some help around him & outside Scandella & possibly Guhle theres nothing. Right side particularly so

Could you imagine him as a mentor to Dahlin in Buffalo? *drools*

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I would take this and run. Exactly the type of move I would be looking for.

On one hand itd be nice having likely another young dman from this draft and a high end RW prospect, but, on the other hand i think the interest you see from other fans and the disinterest from your fellow buffalo fans tells you its probably best to keep him.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
If Buffalo win 1st oa itd be pretty spiphy having another top 10 pick for another dman but i think Risto would be important in insulting Dahlin.
The way Risto likes Swedes, this is not far-fetched, though :D

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I personally like Risto a lot. The Oilers are definitely looking for a RHD PMD so he fits the bill. As stated above by other posters our 1st would definitely be in play. Would Klefbom and a 2018 1st do it?

Reactions: stokes84

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I personally like Risto a lot. The Oilers are definitely looking for a RHD PMD so he fits the bill. As stated above by other posters our 1st would definitely be in play. Would Klefbom and a 2018 1st do it?
Ok nevermind this is a great thread. Where do I sign the paperwork?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad