Value of: Ristolainen

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Ehhh, I think the gamble has to be part of it. I probably wouldn't trade Risto for Svechnikov straight up, but for an extra shot at Dahlin, sign me up.
That's a terrible idea, unless you want sit in the basement for several more seasons. When that pick ends up 9th overall you just traded your best defenseman for a prospect that might become a good NHL'er

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
There are very few teams that could make it worthwhile for Buffalo to trade Ristolainen. In those cases it would be a sideways move for both teams so neither gains extra pieces.
Unless Risto or a player his equal demands a trade there isn't a deal I imagine is a fit.
If Buffalo accepts a down grade with pluses thrown in there are very few teams that wouldn't make decent offers (not of the type LTIR made. ).

Reactions: sabrescupbound

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
I'd offer Ceci + White/Dzingel

A RD to replace Risto in top 4 who is a downgrade offensively but maybe more steady in his own end and young offensive piece with speed/potential (White or Dzingel).

I imagine Buffalo would be aiming higher though.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'd offer Ceci + White/Dzingel

A RD to replace Risto in top 4 who is a downgrade offensively but maybe more steady in his own end and young offensive piece with speed/potential (White or Dzingel).

I imagine Buffalo would be aiming higher though.

Yes you are correct. Try at least Chabot higher.

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
Yes you are correct. Try at least Chabot higher.

Understandable, just don't think Buffalo is getting that for Risto given his "advanced stats" and people picking at his flaws with lots of NHL tape.

Better off just keeping him IMO. Won't get good enough value on the trade market and he's still young with plenty of potential and tools.

Reactions: DJN21

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Understandable, just don't think Buffalo is getting that for Risto given his "advanced stats" and people picking at his flaws with lots of NHL tape.

Better off just keeping him IMO. Won't get good enough value on the trade market and he's still young with plenty of potential and tools.

Exactly where I'm at. Fans see a minute munching huge dman who is young and has proven he can score and will point to analytic stats and basic stats such as plus minus and use them as tools to justify why he is bad enough that the sabres should trade him yet he's good enough for teams to want.

He logs what 28 minutes a night aginst top lines on a historically bad team (s) and yet people wanna point to advanced stats.

The solution is easy. Add two top four dmen to scandella aND risto...drop his minutes per game. Maybe add competent forwards here and there...don't be a bottom dweller for his ENTIRE career and those advanced stats disappear.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Exactly where I'm at. Fans see a minute munching huge dman who is young and has proven he can score and will point to analytic stats and basic stats such as plus minus and use them as tools to justify why he is bad enough that the sabres should trade him yet he's good enough for teams to want.

He logs what 28 minutes a night aginst top lines on a historically bad team (s) and yet people wanna point to advanced stats.

The solution is easy. Add two top four dmen to scandella aND risto...drop his minutes per game. Maybe add competent forwards here and there...don't be a bottom dweller for his ENTIRE career and those advanced stats disappear.
Last words are probably key. Look @ the players that knew their season was over by Feb. when with the team that drafted them & how they were rejuvenated after being traded to where losing wasn't a given (or wanted).
ROR spoke out about not enjoying hockey when winning isn't even on the horizon. Risto likely feels the same. The Sabres have amassed enough talent so hopefully after this draft they assemble a competitive team. I'd enjoy seeing them do some havoc in the Atlantic.

Reactions: DJN21

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Last words are probably key. Look @ the players that knew their season was over by Feb. when with the team that drafted them & how they were rejuvenated after being traded to where losing wasn't a given (or wanted).
ROR spoke out about not enjoying hockey when winning isn't even on the horizon. Risto likely feels the same. The Sabres have amassed enough talent so hopefully after this draft they assemble a competitive team. I'd enjoy seeing them do some havoc in the Atlantic.
Agree, appreciate it man cheers.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think BUF should trade Scandella for Marcus Foligno instead. They'd save on cap, and regain some of the stupi...er...toughness they lost when they traded Kane.

Reactions: Starat327

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Many Sabre fans will tell you he can't be traded because he is our best defenseman and we can't afford to lose depth at that position. But there is a case that all of the losing has tainted him and it may be smart to build the defense from scratch. If Botterill really does want to change the culture, perhaps this is the player that needs a change of scenery more than any other. What would you move for him?

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Why trade him? He's in a perfect position to break the NHL's +/- record in the near future. Shouldn't interfere when a player is on the verge of making history...

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
What are the Sabres looking for? Futures?

Oilers offer would start with 9th/10th overall + Sekera/Russel (cap) + likely one of Yammo/Pulju

A big, good skating puck moving RHD is very elusive in the NHL. I would personally move a lot for him.

Reactions: EDMOILERS9729

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
What are the Sabres looking for? Futures?

Oilers offer would start with 9th/10th overall + Sekera/Russel (cap) + likely one of Yammo/Pulju

A big, good skating puck moving RHD is very elusive in the NHL. I would personally move a lot for him.
Then start with Klefbom.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Why would the Sabres do that? Kinda defeats the purpose of trading Ristolainen if youre getting a dman of similar pedigree back. One bred in a losing culture (as well) too boot
I agree with you and I'm not the one wanting to trade Risto. But if they were to trade him, another good young dman would have to come back, which makes a reasonable trade proposal difficult (who is going to give up a better dman for another dman?).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad