Risto v Rielly

Who do you take ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Generally, Ristolainen's terrible defense would make me vote against him in most of these comparison polls.

However, here we have one player who has even worse defense. So this is Ristolainen due to his vastly superior offensive play.

Reactions: IPS

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Better at driving posession with harder zone starts, higher expected goals, and can actually play defense.

You're a frequent poster and simple logic tells me if we start comparing the times you've made an opinion that favors the Leafs player or belittles the opposing player countered to how often you've gone against your teams player.... well it's not looking good for you.

We're all prone to being biased, I probably make biased assessments more frequently than I'd like to admit but you're running a constant agenda here and it doesn't promote a progressive conversation towards either direction.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Just go check any Buffalo post game thread for their current thoughts on Ristolainen.

Right now this is Rielly, both the eye test and numbers back that up.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I like Rielly better. He's been facing the toughest competition and doing well at it, even at the expense of not getting much PP time (ie..points).

Ristolainen had 25 PP points last year with over 3 min/game on the PP vs. Rielly's .58 s/ game (mostly mop up duty). If Rielly had more PP time with the potent Leaf's PP, he'd have way more points. ES, Rielly had 22 points and RR had 19. Rielly is better defensively than RR as well.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Definitely Reilly

Risto struggled to produce offense unless he is on the PP.
He had the same 5V5 Points percentage as Cody Franson last year.

Plus Risto can't play defense. Reilly isn't great at defense, but Risto is absolutely brutal.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Risto, at least he puts up points

Reilly is no good at defense and nothing special on offense

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd give the edge to Ristolainen. I think with better support around him, he can be the more dynamic presence on the blueline. But in some ways, Rielly might be the safer bet. He performs well without a lot of support either. Just a bit more limited in dynamic upside, physically...and as a scoring factor.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Generally, Ristolainen's terrible defense would make me vote against him in most of these comparison polls.

However, here we have one player who has even worse defense. So this is Ristolainen due to his vastly superior offensive play.
Rielly is much better defensively and it's not really close.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
honestly shocked that Risto is winning the poll... Rielly is definitely the better Dman
One thing on Hf I've learned is that big D who score a lot no matter how porous defensively they are always get massively overrated. People see 6'4, 200+ lbs and 40+ pts and just assume the guy is a defensive stud.

Last edited:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Based on their play last season: Risto
Based on their play this season: Rielly

Risto has been pretty bad so far in the year, no question about it. But he looked way better last year so I'm hoping this is a slump.

If Risto carries on like this it's definitely Rielly

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

:help:

Kase

May 1, 2016
I've been pretty high on Ristolainen for long time and preferred him over Rielly who isn't really anything special either, but Risto hasn't progressed the way I thought he would, so I have to go with Rielly this time.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Risto has everything in his game except the one thing that players usually develop later on; Solid defense. He's still a kid, even though he doesn't look it and he has a lot of time to develop into a monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad