Rumor: Rishaug Every Oiler is available except McD, Draisaitl and 1st

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
You don't know Allen. Or hockey. Can tell by your posts. You look at stats alone. Narrow picture allows for big mistakes.

Allen good coaching young goalies. Also good in playoffs because he has high ability to study opposition netminding and find their flaws. Allen also good at copying their styles and in practice teammates practice where to shoot. Allowing his teammates to open holes in opposition. Takes time to do though, does not work in regular season. Both teams GM said similar after Cup runs. They wouldn't all be wrong.
Many say Allen be good goalie coach someday.

Habs among league worst giving up high percentage scoring chances. Rookie defense and MSL has little structure to his team. Allows players to go. Maybe miss Savard also. Yet Habs goalies are around .900% save percentage
a bit of a reach to say a guy who has played 37 career playoff games and lost half of them to be "good" in playoffs lol

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If we are talking Montembeault, Monahan AND a good young defenseman who might be in a logjam in Montreal (right side? That is what the Oilers need) then I am very willing to add multiple picks and prospects along with McLeod, Pickard, and whomever. A protected 1st? Totally on the table.

That sounds like a lot of fixes for what ails the Oilers.
We shall see. I’m sure Montreal isn’t the only team the Oilers are talking to.

Reactions: TFHockey

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The title of the thread is like telling a person on a diet that they can eat anything they want so long as they don't enjoy the taste of it.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I wonder why the Oilers refuse to trade their first round draft pick. Everyone knows unless they are drafting in the top 4 they can't draft worth shit. Maybe that's where Holland expects to be drafting in 2024?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I wonder why the Oilers refuse to trade their first round draft pick. Everyone knows unless they are drafting in the top 4 they can't draft worth shit. Maybe that's where Holland expects to be drafting in 2024?

Maybe cause nothing on Offer is worth a 1st? Oilers will trade 1sts, did so just half a year ago. But you only have so many 1sts to go around, why waste it on crap.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just pay the damn price for Carter Hart or Gibson already.

This is like a cheap dad who does actually have the money but is dumb enough to entertain ruining what was supposed to be a memorable trip for the family because he's too cheap to pony up for a hotel and is still trying to weigh whether or not they should save a few bucks by staying on a cold, wet campground.

Just get it done. The Oilers management had 20 chances to do something else 1-2-3-4-5 years ago. They spent those chances on Koskinen, Skinner, Campbell. You had your chances to something proactively as a management group and you did dick all. Now just pay for someone who is a more proven commodity.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Maybe cause nothing on Offer is worth a 1st? Oilers will trade 1sts, did so just half a year ago. But you only have so many 1sts to go around, why waste it on crap.
Maybe if you aren't adamant that their first isn't available you might get an offer where its worth the first. Seems to me that taking it off the table from the start is limiting the quality player offers.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Maybe if you aren't adamant that their first isn't available you might get an offer where its worth the first. Seems to me that taking it off the table from the start is limiting the quality player offers.
Last year we shipped the 1st for an impact player that was going to be here for 4 years. Right now we are looking for a quick fix band aid we might not even need. When the time is right and we know exactly what this team needs, the 1st will be on the table for a good player not this trash.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
The run between now and Christmas is huge.

Jets, Canes, Wild, Devils, Blackhawks, Lightning, Panthers, Islanders, Devils, Rangers.

That is not an easy run, especially when to get in the playoffs the Oilers will need 95-100 points, which means the equivalent of 40 wins in the remaining 60 games.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Last year we shipped the 1st for an impact player that was going to be here for 4 years. Right now we are looking for a quick fix band aid we might not even need. When the time is right and we know exactly what this team needs, the 1st will be on the table for a good player not this trash.
The Oilers aren't sure what the team needs? I say wow because everyone on HF knows what the Oilers need.... actually I'd go so far as to say every hockey fan anywhere knows. Its no great mystery. Its the same thing the team has needed for almost every year that McDavid and Draisaitl have been wearing Oilers jerseys.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The Oilers aren't sure what the team needs? I say wow because everyone on HF knows what the Oilers need.... actually I'd go so far as to say every hockey fan anywhere knows. Its no great mystery. Its the same thing the team has needed for almost every year that McDavid and Draisaitl have been wearing Oilers jerseys.

Any franchise goalies on the market right now? Ever?

The only thing available are backups.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
They are in a lose/lose situation with that first round pick. If they trade it they will be criticized for being desperate, if they don’t they are accused of not willing to do anything to turn the season around.
The same people will complain about both things

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not to mention that when Rishaug said this the Oilers were, what, 30th?

Probably going to be a different story come midseason or the TDL. Of course, Holland is too out of touch to know how to protect a pick, so it probably never occurred to him.

Reactions: TFHockey

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

You are fooling yourself if you think goal tending is the only problem that needs to be fixed. Dominik Hasek couldn't win a SC with the Oilers defense playing in front of him.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You are fooling yourself if you think goal tending is the only problem that needs to be fixed. Dominik Hasek couldn't win a SC with the Oilers defense playing in front of him.
We could probably use an upgrade on the right Side, we just spent the equivalent of 2 1sts to shore up the left side. Maybe give it some time. That being said, Oilers defence has sharply improved this past week, so still it makes sense to see how this all shakes out with Coffey on the bench before spending the best asset we have.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Edmonton is 4th in CF%, 3rd in XGF%, 6th in SCF%, and 2nd in SCF%.

Edmonton needs a defensive upgrade on the right side, but up until three games ago, the shooters had scored 13 goals below expected and the goalies had allowed 15 goals above expected. That's a killer combination.

Now, the scoring has woken up, but we still have some issues in net and Skinner has played 13 of the last 15 and looks wiped sometimes. I honestly don't think Edmonton needs anything world breaking though. They need NHL average goaltending.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Edmonton is 4th in CF%, 3rd in XGF%, 6th in SCF%, and 2nd in SCF%.

Edmonton needs a defensive upgrade on the right side, but up until three games ago, the shooters had scored 13 goals below expected and the goalies had allowed 15 goals above expected. That's a killer combination.

Now, the scoring has woken up, but we still have some issues in net and Skinner has played 13 of the last 15 and looks wiped sometimes. I honestly don't think Edmonton needs anything world breaking though. They need NHL average goaltending.

Like.

Yeh what this guy said!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
double post

They need a defensive upgrade, sure, but Mike Smith disproves what you're saying also.

Mike Smith at age 39 and 40 with the Oilers the last seasons here

.923 save percentage
.915 save percentage

I guess 40 year old Mike Smith is Dominik Hasek now? What magical defense did he play behind that Skinner and Campbell don't? If anything those two have a better D because Ekholm was added last year, something Smith didn't get to benefit from.

Who you have in net does matter.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Watch Kenny trade Ekholm. I’m gonna guess he’s not going anywhere either.

The biggest chance for them to make a substantial change is with RNH. First they need to go get Reimer to settle the net down.

Settle things down, then take their time finding the right deal. Unfortunately managers like panicking too much.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
Watch Kenny trade Ekholm. I’m gonna guess he’s not going anywhere either.

The biggest chance for them to make a substantial change is with RNH. First they need to go get Reimer to settle the net down.

Settle things down, then take their time finding the right deal. Unfortunately managers like panicking too much.
I doubt RNH will approve a trade.

Reactions: ujju2

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
The run between now and Christmas is huge.

Jets, Canes, Wild, Devils, Blackhawks, Lightning, Panthers, Islanders, Devils, Rangers.

That is not an easy run, especially when to get in the playoffs the Oilers will need 95-100 points, which means the equivalent of 40 wins in the remaining 60 games.
That trip is make or break it for them. If they lose half of those games, might be lights put for Oilers. Losing 17 games before Christmas usually means a non playoff team.

Reactions: Iwishihadaspacebar

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Dude even my mom who doesn't watch hockey knew what the Oilers needed for a long time now. If you still need to assess what the team needs then you might as well sell off McDavid and Drai and just do a complete rebuild.

But you are still saying the team needs to assess what they need. No one mentioned anything about what goalies are in the market.

Not to mention that when Rishaug said this the Oilers were, what, 30th?

Probably going to be a different story come midseason or the TDL. Of course, Holland is too out of touch to know how to protect a pick, so it probably never occurred to him.
That 1st is as good as gone either way. Problem is Holland will trade that 1st for a forward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad