Rumor: Rishaug Every Oiler is available except McD, Draisaitl and 1st

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Bad Depth bad D bad G what do you have? It's over.

Let me see... three in a row and the Oilers are surging again. They're finally playing like they *should* be playing. Are the Oilers afraid of any of the teams just ahead of them in the standings?

Calgary? No.
Preds? No.
Kraken? No.
Ducks? No.
Coyotes? No.
Blues? No.
Jets? No.

I don't think they can catch the others. So for a wild card spot the Oilers are objectively better than any of those teams listed above. They'll make the playoffs.

HOWEVER, if you want to talk about the need for better goaltending I 100% agree. So does every other Oiler fan. Totally 100% true.

If the Oilers ever got a goalie like Hellebuyck or Saros.... look out.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think it speaks to the lack of ability of this management group more than anything.
Or it could just be that Rishaug has it wrong on the first. This would actually be my guess.

Holland has his flaws but he did trade a 1st and the previous year's 32nd pick (still a first) for Ekholm.

Part of the problem is that there is no cap space to make a futures for upgrade type of deal without moving Campbell. Trading the first with the cost to open up some space only makes sense if there is a sure fire deal to be made since you can buy Campbell out in the off season. Such a deal being on the table right now is not all that likely.

A more likely scenario at this time would be adding assets to someone like Foegele or Kulak or Ceci to get an upgrade with retention, or using lesser futures to get a cheap goalie on an expiring deal like Reimer for example. (I have no idea if he is available, just using him as an example of the type of player they could be looking at.)

I think the plan all along was to hold the fort until the deadline and then make a move. But the terrible start and the injury to Holloway that put them in LTIR put a wrench in those plans.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The eye test says he stinks right now and he’s 33. Wouldn’t take him for free (and couldn’t because of cap considerations)
You don't know Allen. Or hockey. Can tell by your posts. You look at stats alone. Narrow picture allows for big mistakes.

Allen good coaching young goalies. Also good in playoffs because he has high ability to study opposition netminding and find their flaws. Allen also good at copying their styles and in practice teammates practice where to shoot. Allowing his teammates to open holes in opposition. Takes time to do though, does not work in regular season. Both teams GM said similar after Cup runs. They wouldn't all be wrong.
Many say Allen be good goalie coach someday.

Habs among league worst giving up high percentage scoring chances. Rookie defense and MSL has little structure to his team. Allows players to go. Maybe miss Savard also. Yet Habs goalies are around .900% save percentage

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You don't know Allen. Or hockey. Can tell by your posts. You look at stats alone. Narrow picture allows for big mistakes.

Allen good coaching young goalies. Also good in playoffs because he has high ability to study opposition netminding and find their flaws. Allen also good at copying their styles and in practice teammates practice where to shoot. Allowing his teammates to open holes in opposition. Takes time to do though, does not work in regular season. Both teams GM said similar after Cup runs. They wouldn't all be wrong.
Many say Allen be good goalie coach someday.

Habs among league worst giving up high percentage scoring chances. Rookie defense and MSL has little structure to his team. Allows players to go. Maybe miss Savard also. Yet Habs goalies are around .900% save percentage
Allen is a goalie, not a coach. I don't care if hes the greatest goalie coach of all time, we need a guy that can stop pucks and right now Allen isn't doing that.

Allen hasn't played a postseason game as a member of the Habs, so how in the hell would you know, captain eye test? The Blues moved on from him because he can't be the guy. You're willing to move him because he can't be the guy. Why would we want him?

Your values are so far out of whack for every single Habs player it's not even worth engaging you, honestly.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Makes no sense to me that a team that is trying to win now isn’t interested in dealing away picks/prospects but will trade vets.

That is completely backwards.

You'd think a team that has a generational player as well as a top 5 player in the league (in their primes ill add) would be going all-in as much as possible.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Hyman was a 60 pt player on the leafs. He paced for 60ish back to back year with no PP time

Hyman is our era's Chris Kunitz. A 60 pt guy who became a ppg+ guy with a generational talent (Mcdavid)

Hyman is better than Beavillier and Garland. He has worked woth elite talent on both the leafs and now the Oilers while making 5ishM. His value is incredibly high to a contender

I’ve been a fan of Hyman from day 1 with the leafs, but I wouldn’t put his success on the backs of who he gets to play with exclusively.

Hyman has improved into the player he is today, he did not come into the league as the same player he is now.

His hands were TERRIBLE! And over the years he has continued to steadily improve. We shouldn’t short-sell hyman’s own abilities, this guy has gotten here on the back of his own hard work and effort

Yet you still fail to answer what I have quoted you for and also asked other here in your earlier posts. Aside from Ryan freakin Rishaug, who has said Edmonton's 1st isn't on the table? Last year they even traded their first to improve the team. You didn't have to go far back to find an example of it, you just chose not to. So many people in this thread just making shit up and running with it is one of the strangest things I have seen on this board in a lot of years.

This wasn't even a rumor that was out there. I scribe like Rishaug just made it up, actually even admitted it by saying it was a gut feeling, yet so many treat it as if it had any kind of truth to it.

You’re 100% correct. This is a reporters ‘feelings’ on what he thinks is on or off the table.

This isn’t reporting, it’s editorializing. Holland hasn’t said anything to this guy about what he’s willing to trade.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Allen is a goalie, not a coach. I don't care if hes the greatest goalie coach of all time, we need a guy that can stop pucks and right now Allen isn't doing that.

Allen hasn't played a postseason game as a member of the Habs, so how in the hell would you know, captain eye test? The Blues moved on from him because he can't be the guy. You're willing to move him because he can't be the guy. Why would we want him?

Your values are so far out of whack for every single Habs player it's not even worth engaging you, honestly.
If I were Edmonton, I go for Montambault. He’s a young goalie who’s been really good. Very cheap contract, Oilers would have his prime. He’s easily Montreal’s best goalie.

And I’d ask the Canadiens for a young cheap blueliner (they have many good ones.) And I’d get Monahan (having a good year on a cheap one year deal) as a throw in. That package would help them now and years to come. They could also ask Montreal to take back a contract if it were short enough. But to do this, they have to give up picks and prospects.

(If true) It’s crazy to me that they have McDrai and saying they won’t trade a first? Exactly the opposite of what they should do. They should be using picks as currency right now. The should be in win-now mode. I have to think they realize this.

Last edited:

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
If I were Edmonton, I go for Montambault. He’s a young goalie who’s been really good. Very cheap contract, Oilers would have his prime. He’s easily Montreal’s best goalie.

And I’d ask the Canadiens for a young cheap blueliner (they have many good ones.) And I’d get Monahan (having a good year on a cheap one year deal) as a throw in. That package would help them now and years to come. They could also ask Montreal to take back a contract if it were short enough.

But to do this, they have to give up picks and prospects. (If true) It’s crazy to me that they have McDrai and saying they won’t trade a first? Exactly the opposite of what they should do. They should be using picks as currency right now. The should be in win-now mode. I have to think they realize this.
Edmonton doesn't have the cap space or the high value prospects needed to get a package of Montembeault, Monahan, and one of Montreals young D. Bourgault? Meh

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

And I’d ask the Canadiens for a young cheap blueliner (they have many good ones.) And I’d get Monahan (having a good year on a cheap one year deal) as a throw in. That package would help them now and years to come. They could also ask Montreal to take back a contract if it were short enough.

But to do this, they have to give up picks and prospects. (If true) It’s crazy to me that they have McDrai and saying they won’t trade a first? Exactly the opposite of what they should do. They should be using picks as currency right now. The should be in win-now mode. I have to think they realize this.
Our defence has improved a fair bit in the last while. I'm willing to look at it as a blip; Edmonton was quite good last year after adding Ekholm, and we have enough bodies back there. What we really need is a significant upgrade on Ceci on the right side and the Habs don't really have that.

Monahan would have limited value for us because he's not playing at ton at evens and most of his goal scoring is on the powerplay, where we don't have room for him.

Montembeault would be a good fit, but I personally would be absolutely unwilling to pay the price many Habs fans seem to think that he's worth.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton doesn't have the cap space or the high value prospects needed to get a package of Montembeault, Monahan, and one of Montreals young D. Bourgault? Meh
Montie and say… Harris are making very little. Monahan only makes like 2.5 mil. They can find the money and probably offload a deal into Montreal if it’s not too long.

As a Montreal fan, I actually hate the idea of losing Montambeault but we have a few good goalkeepers in the system and are rebuilding so it makes sense of there are picks/prospects coming back. And I’m sure there are other rebuilding clubs that could do something similar.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Our defence has improved a fair bit in the last while. I'm willing to look at it as a blip; Edmonton was quite good last year after adding Ekholm, and we have enough bodies back there. What we really need is a significant upgrade on Ceci on the right side and the Habs don't really have that.

Monahan would have limited value for us because he's not playing at ton at evens and most of his goal scoring is on the powerplay, where we don't have room for him.

Montembeault would be a good fit, but I personally would be absolutely unwilling to pay the price many Habs fans seem to think that he's worth.
It all comes down to what Edmonton needs. If they don’t want a young cheap blueliner or Monahan that’s fine. It’s what I’d do if I were them but whatever.

If it’s just a goalie, I’d definitely go after Montie as he’s our best. He’d cost at least a first rounder though. Probably a first and a prospect.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Montie and say… Harris are making very little. Monahan only makes like 2.5 mil. They can find the money and probably offload a deal into Montreal if it’s not too long.

As a Montreal fan, I actually hate the idea of losing Montambeault but we have a few good goalkeepers in the system and are rebuilding so it makes sense of there are picks/prospects coming back. And I’m sure there are other rebuilding clubs that could do something similar.
What I'm saying is if their 1st isn't on the table then Edmonton doesn't have anything Montreal would value enough to move those pieces as a package. Better to move them elsewhere or not at all

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I am sure if the right deal was available the Oilers would consider trading their 1st, especially if they are in the playoff race. Of course it would not be available when they are 2nd or 3rd last in the league.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What I'm saying is if their 1st isn't on the table then Edmonton doesn't have anything Montreal would value enough to move those pieces as a package. Better to move them elsewhere or not at all
I wouldn’t trade Montie without a first. No way. I’d want a prospect too. A good young goalie that costs next to nothing isn’t easy to find. Most teams won’t give it up at all.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I wouldn’t trade Montie without a first. No way. I’d want a prospect too. A good young goalie that costs next to nothing isn’t easy to find. Most teams won’t give it up at all.

Well, I think he is an upgrade over what the Oilers have, but keep in mind the past few years his numbers, after 38-40 games are

and

In nine games this year he's looked good but I don't see a major haul for Montembeault. Plus goalies are voodoo as they say. Who knows how he'll do in Edmonton.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Well, I think he is an upgrade over what the Oilers have, but keep in mind the past few years his numbers, after 38-40 games are

and

In nine games this year he's looked good but I don't see a major haul for Montembeault. Plus goalies are voodoo as they say. Who knows how he'll do in Edmonton.
I agree that goalies are voodoo abd generally dont return a lit. So keeping that in mind Montreal are better off re-signing him than taking a crap return.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Close thread. Oilers good again. Don’t need your shitty assets for a 1st. Boat has sailed. Guess some fanbases are going to have to settle for Edmundson and Carey Price like returns on their crappy assets, ie. Absolutely Nothing. The price of greed ladies and gentlemen.

Reactions: CornKicker

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

and

He’s played for arguably the worst defensive team in hockey. He’s a really good young goalie with a negligible cap hit and should be good for a while.

The Oilers don’t have the luxury of getting a Sheterskin. Great proven goalies cost a fortune and most aren’t even available to begin with.

They need a cheap diamond in the rough. That’s what this guy is. Now, if I were them, I’d offset some of the risk by asking Montreal to include other assets but it might drive up the price a little. The Habs have a ton of good young blueliners on the way up. At a minimum if I’m the Oilers I’d want one coming my way. I’d also think that Monahan would be a great depth move. They be on the hook for a fraction of his cheap deal and he could provide some really good bottom six play.

Anyways, that’s what I’d want if I were them. Montreal’s a good trading partner in this scenario but I’m sure there are others that they’re kicking the tires on.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
He’s played for arguably the worst defensive team in hockey. He’s a really good young goalie with a negligible cap hit and should be good for a while.

The Oilers don’t have the luxury of getting a Sheterskin. Great proven goalies cost a fortune and most aren’t even available to begin with.

They need a cheap diamond in the rough. That’s what this guy is. Now, if I were them, I’d offset some of the risk by asking Montreal to include other assets but it might drive up the price a little. The Habs have a ton of good young blueliners on the way up. At a minimum if I’m the Oilers I’d want one coming my way. I’d also think that Monahan would be a great depth move. They be on the hook for a fraction of his cheap deal and he could provide some really good bottom six play.

Anyways, that’s what I’d want if I were them. Montreal’s a good trading partner in this scenario but I’m sure there are others that they’re kicking the tires on.

If we are talking Montembeault, Monahan AND a good young defenseman who might be in a logjam in Montreal (right side? That is what the Oilers need) then I am very willing to add multiple picks and prospects along with McLeod, Pickard, and whomever. A protected 1st? Totally on the table.

That sounds like a lot of fixes for what ails the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad