Blue Jays Discussion: RIP Roy Halladay (1977-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Buck Martinez on Prime Time Sports, responding to the question "is Roy Halladay a hall-of-famer":

"It's hard to say...."

Maybe I'm just emotional because I'm still angry/sad about this news, but seriously... Come on, Buck. It's not hard to say. He is. Absolutely. Without a doubt. Case closed, end of story, court dismissed. Roy Halladay was one of the most dominating pitchers of this or any other era of baseball. For a long stretch of seasons, he was the yardstick by which pitching excellence was defined. I'm not a fan of "if a guy's a hall-of-famer, you'll know it when you see it." because that's a disingenuous attitude that gets used to prop up a lot of weak arguments, but you knew when watching Roy Halladay that he was a hall of famer.

It's not hard to say at all. With all due respect to Dave Stieb, Roy Halladay was the greatest pitcher the Blue Jays organization has ever seen.

Jesus, writing all those "was" statements in the past tense was difficult... :cry:

The Man in White

Jun 28, 2004
Absolutely f***ing devastating. My favourite baseball player of all time. It was an honour watching his career and he's the one that made me appreciate pitching. This is brutal.

LeafSadist

Sep 8, 2003
Ontario
Feels beyond bad, man. Actually, it ****ing sucks. Class act on and off the field, the best to ever pitch for the Jays. Life is and can be sudden.

RIP, Roy.

Reactions: draeko17

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Gut wrenching news. It's hard to put into words what Roy Halladay meant to the Blue Jays. On a lot of bad teams, he was the reason to tune in every five days. And he was ours. When he was here, the Jays were getting buried (way more than even today) by the payrolls of Boston and New York. And yet he stayed. He agreed to contracts that bought free agent years. It was validation for the team, city, and country. In that era, to have such a phenomenal pitcher love this team and city meant a lot to the fanbase. As awful as it is for us, I cannot fathom the pain his family is in. 40 years old is far too young to die. Thanks, Doc.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
For anyone who wants one. The new boards automatically shrink files down to the appropriate size for the boards (I think it's like 98x98px)

Doc1.gif
Doc2.gif
Doc3.gif

#1 and #2 are static images. #3 flips between the images from the first two.

I want to make one that fades between, but I have to suss out how to work within the new boards' file size limit. And it's entirely possible that these might have issues as well because I don't know if my own profile has a different limit than regular users or sponsors or other grades of moderator or whatnot.

draeko17

Jul 7, 2007
For anyone who wants one. The new boards automatically shrink files down to the appropriate size for the boards (I think it's like 98x98px)

View attachment 82649 View attachment 82651 View attachment 82653

#1 and #2 are static images. #3 flips between the images from the first two.

I want to make one that fades between, but I have to suss out how to work within the new boards' file size limit. And it's entirely possible that these might have issues as well because I don't know if my own profile has a different limit than regular users or sponsors or other grades of moderator or whatnot.
Thank you very much.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Awful news. My favourite player in Jays history and one of the big reasons why I became a baseball fan.

RIP Doc.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
My heart just sank to the bottom of the Atlantic. A personal tidbit. I played CF when I played organized baseball but I subbed in at pitcher and always had my dad play catcher when I wasn't in game because I wanted to replicate Doc's pitching to a tee. This breaks my heart and my personal attachment to Doc knows no bounds. Gone so young, too early and so suddenly. The greatest pitcher the Jays have ever had. The City of Toronto mourns for you.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Buck Martinez on Prime Time Sports, responding to the question "is Roy Halladay a hall-of-famer":

"It's hard to say...."

Maybe I'm just emotional because I'm still angry/sad about this news, but seriously... Come on, Buck. It's not hard to say. He is. Absolutely. Without a doubt. Case closed, end of story, court dismissed. Roy Halladay was one of the most dominating pitchers of this or any other era of baseball. For a long stretch of seasons, he was the yardstick by which pitching excellence was defined. I'm not a fan of "if a guy's a hall-of-famer, you'll know it when you see it." because that's a disingenuous attitude that gets used to prop up a lot of weak arguments, but you knew when watching Roy Halladay that he was a hall of famer.

It's not hard to say at all. With all due respect to Dave Stieb, Roy Halladay was the greatest pitcher the Blue Jays organization has ever seen.

Jesus, writing all those "was" statements in the past tense was difficult... :cry:

There is no doubt in my mind that if the Jays had been a really good team for Doc's tenure that he would have challenged 300 wins.

This f***ing hurts.

Reactions: LeafSadist

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
One of the good guys in baseball and sports. And a great talent. Such sad news today. RIP

He was such a joy to watch. Dominant on most nights. Will be missed by many friends and family and the baseball world.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I don't even know what to say. My heart is just so badly shattered. I can barely process this and it's genuinely taking every bit of me not to break down completely. Him and Sundin were my childhood. Doc is the reason I'm a Jays fan. I was going through some horrible parts of my life prior to high school (things got far better after), but getting to watch Doc mow down every single lineup with consistency and getting to watch 2.5 hrs, 8+ innings, and 120+ pitches of dominance and entertainment every 5 nights were the bright spots. Our teams were mediocre to bad back then, but for one night out of every 5, we were amazing.

Thank you, Doc. For being one of the most amazing pitchers ever and an even better person.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Possibly the best Jays pitcher ever. He gave us hope, even though are team was not so good. It was exciting, and a treat to watch play. A sad day in Toronto for sure. He was the Wendel Clarke of baseball for me. A great leader, awesome with the fans, and gave us a reason to cheer for the home team!

RIP Doc!

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Heard it driving home. Can't believe it! Flying the plane I have always wanted to buy too. Class act all the way. Godspeed.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Not to say it should make a difference, but I think the voters are going to want to get Roy into the HoF when he’s first eligible.

Also, I think the Jays should do something really significant to honour him. I want a statue near one of the main gates.

PPS, I will never forget that 10 inning shutout against the Tigers. That 2003 season was spectacular. Jays legend, best pitcher we’ll probably ever witness playing for the team.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Was always the face of the franchise to me when I was younger.

RIP. Way too young.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Not to say it should make a difference, but I think the voters are going to want to get Roy into the HoF when he’s first eligible.

Also, I think the Jays should do something really significant to honour him. I want a statue near one of the main gates.

PPS, I will never forget that 10 inning shutout against the Tigers. That 2003 season was spectacular. Jays legend, best pitcher we’ll probably ever witness playing for the team.

Yep that 99 pitch 10 inning complete game shutout is the first on field memory that always pops in my mind first when thinking of Roy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad